Re: [ukpbm] Re: ManorCon or MidCon

  • Malcolm Cornelius
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 12 9:24 AM
      > I guessed as much, hence the formation of a "club". Members pay a subscrip
      tion to join the club and get free beer at the con. Sure, some will get more
      beer than others but I am sure we can all be adult about it.

      Hum, I'm not sure this is good enough to avoid the laws relating to
      licensing, and given that the bar has a vested interest in stopping you
      doing it ...

      > Failing that I could offer to underwrite the cost of two 36 pint beer boxes=
      > and stick 'em behind the bar. From talking to the bar staff the Uni
      authorities seem unconvinced of our ability to consumer 72 pints of ale in the
      course of a long week-end. When I say "our" I mean the whole of the convention=

      >although probably Malc and I could polish off one 36 pint "beer box" by
      ourselves over the space of 4 days.

      We do a barrel at the superbowl do plus a couple of days during the week.

      Can't we remind them that we did 144 pints in a day at the other hall.

      > As it appears the hall will have the builders in next year I would say this is
      the perfect time to explore the possibility of moving somewhere else, but I am
      not the poor s*d who has to do the groundwork.

      Try Keele, Warwick and a couple of other, only takes a couple of letters.

      >> Has there been any mailing about it, dates etc. Will we get bedrooms at the
      >> correct hotel ?
      >>
      > I received a flyer with Cut & Thrust. There's a booking form on
      http://www.sfcp.co.uk/Events/Midcon/Midcon_booking.htm but a quick precis of the
      details is below:

      So the furries are still involved, haven't they gone bust yet ?

      > November 22nd to 24th (bit later than usual)
      > Thistle Birmingham City Hotel, St. Chad's.
      > Queensway, Birmingham

      Ta !

      Malcolm
    • fiendishgames
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 12 10:10 AM
        --- In ukpbm@y..., Malcolm Cornelius <Malc_C@c...> wrote:
        > > I am therefore wondering what the legal obstacles might be to getting
        > > some of our own beer in? A brewery such as Woodfordes
        > > (http://www.woodfordes.co.uk/) will deliver to anywhere in Britain.
        > > You have to let the ale settle for 24 hours but I am backing the
        > > hobby's ability to get through 72 pints (cost = £120 roughly) over
        > > the course of 2 days (Saturday lunch-time onwards). In truth I reckon
        > > we could probably clear twice that but let's not get ahead of
        > > ourselves.
        >
        > Legally IIRC to sell the beer you or the premises must be licensed. Give=
        > that you aren't you would need to do it under the licensee of the hall.
        >
        > I would be amazed if the license holders permitted you to do it.
        >
        > But if you do can I arrange for a gallon ?

        I guessed as much, hence the formation of a "club". Members pay a subscrip=
        tion to join the club and get free beer at the con. Sure, some will get more=
        beer than others but I am sure we can all be adult about it.

        Failing that I could offer to underwrite the cost of two 36 pint beer boxes=
        (one of Wherry, 3.8%, and one of either:

        Great Eastern
        4.3%
        Pale & Golden

        Nelson's Revenge
        4.5%
        Premium Bitter

        Norfolk Nog
        4.6%
        Dark & Malty

        Admiral's Reserve
        5.0%
        Rich & rounded)

        and stick 'em behind the bar. From talking to the bar staff the Uni author=
        ities seem unconvinced of our ability to consumer 72 pints of ale in the cou=
        rse of a long week-end. When I say "our" I mean the whole of the convention=
        , although probably Malc and I could polish off one 36 pint "beer box" by ou=
        rselves over the space of 4 days.

        > Can't we move the con somewhere where the concept of real ale has arrived=
        ?

        As it appears the hall will have the builders in next year I would say this=
        is the perfect time to explore the possibility of moving somewhere else, bu=
        t I am not the poor s*d who has to do the groundwork.

        > Has there been any mailing about it, dates etc. Will we get bedrooms at =
        the
        > correct hotel ?

        I received a flyer with Cut & Thrust. There's a booking form on http://www=
        .sfcp.co.uk/Events/Midcon/Midcon_booking.htm but a quick precis of the detai=
        ls is below:

        November 22nd to 24th (bit later than usual)
        Thistle Birmingham City Hotel, St. Chad's.
        Queensway, Birmingham

        Convention fee 10 quid

        £43 per person per night for a single room and £34 per person per night sha=
        ring a twin/double room

        Obviously I can't make any guarantees about us getting rooms in the hotel. =
        In previous years it seemed to matter how early you booked; what prevented =
        you from getting bumped to another hotel was how vociferously you complained=
        in the lobby, although for this tactic to work you had to arrive earlier th=
        an at least one other blighter who then got bumped in your stead.
      • Chris Tringham
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2002
          Obviously I am biased on this subject, but I did enjoy Manorcon much
          more when I stopped staying in the university and took my business
          to the Hyatt Regency instead. I can certainly recommend the walk
          from the University alongside the canal to the city centre - it took
          me about half an hour to get back to the hotel and the tranquility
          of the canal was an amazing contrast to the noise of Manorcon. Even
          better was spending the next hour in the swimming pool, the steam
          room and the jacuzzi. Excellent!!

          Yes, the location of the Angus may leave something to be desired if
          you come by coach or by train (to New Street), but it's fine by car,
          and the city centre is a short walk away if you want something to
          eat or drink. A better location would be much more expensive, and
          car parking would almost certainly be cost more as well (assuming
          that it's still free at the Angus if you exit on Sunday).

          > Alan is obviously more the outdoor sort. I believe he has been
          known to yomp along the canal from ManorCon to the centre of Brum -
          a distance of between 2 and 3 miles by my reckoning. Yet he seems
          to think MidCon is not located particularly close to the centre of
          Brum, whereas I believe it is little more than a 10 minute walk to
          the shopping centre.

          > I don't want to sound like I am slating ManorCon here, as I enjoy
          it very much, although part of the purpose of this post is to
          discuss how to make it better. Also, I am interested in other
          people's opinions on the relative merits of the two main
          conventions? Are the higher prices at MidCon a deterrent to new
          blood, as Alan believes? Or is the spartan Uni accomodation a
          deterrent to new blood, as I believe? I have had some small success
          persuading my non-gaming friends to spend a week-end in a 4 star
          hotel in the city centre playing the occasional game, but none
          whatsoever trying to convince them to spend a week-end in a Uni hall
          of residence. Of course it is good to have the two options
          appealing to opposite ends of the value versus comfort spectrum.
          Perhaps I just hang out with a bunch of rich City types.