Re: [ukpbm] ManorCon or MidCon

  • Malcolm Cornelius
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 12, 2002
      > I am therefore wondering what the legal obstacles might be to getting
      > some of our own beer in? A brewery such as Woodfordes
      > (http://www.woodfordes.co.uk/) will deliver to anywhere in Britain.
      > You have to let the ale settle for 24 hours but I am backing the
      > hobby's ability to get through 72 pints (cost = £120 roughly) over
      > the course of 2 days (Saturday lunch-time onwards). In truth I reckon
      > we could probably clear twice that but let's not get ahead of
      > ourselves.

      Legally IIRC to sell the beer you or the premises must be licensed. Given
      that you aren't you would need to do it under the licensee of the hall.

      I would be amazed if the license holders permitted you to do it.

      But if you do can I arrange for a gallon ?

      > Ideally I'd like to demonstrate to the Uni authorities that the
      > demand for ale is there and then leave them to have the hassle and
      > the profit of doing the ale the following year so that we (or rather
      > I) don't have to faff around ordering beer and collecting money.

      Can't we move the con somewhere where the concept of real ale has arrived ?

      > By general consensus MidCon was a bit flat last year. The delay in
      > sending out fliers caused rumours to circulate that the con was not
      > going to take place and this undoubtedly affected attendance,
      > especially at the Diplomacy tournament. Has the time come to move
      > the Dip to the Ariel suite and move the fluffy gamers into the bigger
      > Wroxton suite?

      Fine by me.

      > I did hear unsubstantiated rumours that people turning up on the day
      > at the hotel were getting cheaper room rates than those of us who had
      > arranged for the special discount rates via the con; it seeme to be a
      > year in which MidCon was beset by rumours. Hopefully the return to
      > the concept of enthusiastic amateurs on the committee will see a
      > return to former glories although as usual we'll have to take pot
      > luck with the staff again - will they be under instruction to be
      > stiff and formal with us? Slightly disdainful, even, of our penchant
      > for colonising the bar area and scaring off the locals in their
      > Sunday best come to eat at the restaurant? Or will we get the
      > relaxed staff who joined in the carpet bowls at 3 in the morning once
      > when things got a bit quiet in the bar?

      Has there been any mailing about it, dates etc. Will we get bedrooms at the
      correct hotel ?

      Malcolm Cornelius
    • Malcolm Cornelius
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 12, 2002
        > I guessed as much, hence the formation of a "club". Members pay a subscrip
        tion to join the club and get free beer at the con. Sure, some will get more
        beer than others but I am sure we can all be adult about it.

        Hum, I'm not sure this is good enough to avoid the laws relating to
        licensing, and given that the bar has a vested interest in stopping you
        doing it ...

        > Failing that I could offer to underwrite the cost of two 36 pint beer boxes=
        > and stick 'em behind the bar. From talking to the bar staff the Uni
        authorities seem unconvinced of our ability to consumer 72 pints of ale in the
        course of a long week-end. When I say "our" I mean the whole of the convention=

        >although probably Malc and I could polish off one 36 pint "beer box" by
        ourselves over the space of 4 days.

        We do a barrel at the superbowl do plus a couple of days during the week.

        Can't we remind them that we did 144 pints in a day at the other hall.

        > As it appears the hall will have the builders in next year I would say this is
        the perfect time to explore the possibility of moving somewhere else, but I am
        not the poor s*d who has to do the groundwork.

        Try Keele, Warwick and a couple of other, only takes a couple of letters.

        >> Has there been any mailing about it, dates etc. Will we get bedrooms at the
        >> correct hotel ?
        >>
        > I received a flyer with Cut & Thrust. There's a booking form on
        http://www.sfcp.co.uk/Events/Midcon/Midcon_booking.htm but a quick precis of the
        details is below:

        So the furries are still involved, haven't they gone bust yet ?

        > November 22nd to 24th (bit later than usual)
        > Thistle Birmingham City Hotel, St. Chad's.
        > Queensway, Birmingham

        Ta !

        Malcolm
      • fiendishgames
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 12, 2002
          --- In ukpbm@y..., Malcolm Cornelius <Malc_C@c...> wrote:
          > > I am therefore wondering what the legal obstacles might be to getting
          > > some of our own beer in? A brewery such as Woodfordes
          > > (http://www.woodfordes.co.uk/) will deliver to anywhere in Britain.
          > > You have to let the ale settle for 24 hours but I am backing the
          > > hobby's ability to get through 72 pints (cost = £120 roughly) over
          > > the course of 2 days (Saturday lunch-time onwards). In truth I reckon
          > > we could probably clear twice that but let's not get ahead of
          > > ourselves.
          >
          > Legally IIRC to sell the beer you or the premises must be licensed. Give=
          > that you aren't you would need to do it under the licensee of the hall.
          >
          > I would be amazed if the license holders permitted you to do it.
          >
          > But if you do can I arrange for a gallon ?

          I guessed as much, hence the formation of a "club". Members pay a subscrip=
          tion to join the club and get free beer at the con. Sure, some will get more=
          beer than others but I am sure we can all be adult about it.

          Failing that I could offer to underwrite the cost of two 36 pint beer boxes=
          (one of Wherry, 3.8%, and one of either:

          Great Eastern
          4.3%
          Pale & Golden

          Nelson's Revenge
          4.5%
          Premium Bitter

          Norfolk Nog
          4.6%
          Dark & Malty

          Admiral's Reserve
          5.0%
          Rich & rounded)

          and stick 'em behind the bar. From talking to the bar staff the Uni author=
          ities seem unconvinced of our ability to consumer 72 pints of ale in the cou=
          rse of a long week-end. When I say "our" I mean the whole of the convention=
          , although probably Malc and I could polish off one 36 pint "beer box" by ou=
          rselves over the space of 4 days.

          > Can't we move the con somewhere where the concept of real ale has arrived=
          ?

          As it appears the hall will have the builders in next year I would say this=
          is the perfect time to explore the possibility of moving somewhere else, bu=
          t I am not the poor s*d who has to do the groundwork.

          > Has there been any mailing about it, dates etc. Will we get bedrooms at =
          the
          > correct hotel ?

          I received a flyer with Cut & Thrust. There's a booking form on http://www=
          .sfcp.co.uk/Events/Midcon/Midcon_booking.htm but a quick precis of the detai=
          ls is below:

          November 22nd to 24th (bit later than usual)
          Thistle Birmingham City Hotel, St. Chad's.
          Queensway, Birmingham

          Convention fee 10 quid

          £43 per person per night for a single room and £34 per person per night sha=
          ring a twin/double room

          Obviously I can't make any guarantees about us getting rooms in the hotel. =
          In previous years it seemed to matter how early you booked; what prevented =
          you from getting bumped to another hotel was how vociferously you complained=
          in the lobby, although for this tactic to work you had to arrive earlier th=
          an at least one other blighter who then got bumped in your stead.
        • Chris Tringham
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2002
            Obviously I am biased on this subject, but I did enjoy Manorcon much
            more when I stopped staying in the university and took my business
            to the Hyatt Regency instead. I can certainly recommend the walk
            from the University alongside the canal to the city centre - it took
            me about half an hour to get back to the hotel and the tranquility
            of the canal was an amazing contrast to the noise of Manorcon. Even
            better was spending the next hour in the swimming pool, the steam
            room and the jacuzzi. Excellent!!

            Yes, the location of the Angus may leave something to be desired if
            you come by coach or by train (to New Street), but it's fine by car,
            and the city centre is a short walk away if you want something to
            eat or drink. A better location would be much more expensive, and
            car parking would almost certainly be cost more as well (assuming
            that it's still free at the Angus if you exit on Sunday).

            > Alan is obviously more the outdoor sort. I believe he has been
            known to yomp along the canal from ManorCon to the centre of Brum -
            a distance of between 2 and 3 miles by my reckoning. Yet he seems
            to think MidCon is not located particularly close to the centre of
            Brum, whereas I believe it is little more than a 10 minute walk to
            the shopping centre.

            > I don't want to sound like I am slating ManorCon here, as I enjoy
            it very much, although part of the purpose of this post is to
            discuss how to make it better. Also, I am interested in other
            people's opinions on the relative merits of the two main
            conventions? Are the higher prices at MidCon a deterrent to new
            blood, as Alan believes? Or is the spartan Uni accomodation a
            deterrent to new blood, as I believe? I have had some small success
            persuading my non-gaming friends to spend a week-end in a 4 star
            hotel in the city centre playing the occasional game, but none
            whatsoever trying to convince them to spend a week-end in a Uni hall
            of residence. Of course it is good to have the two options
            appealing to opposite ends of the value versus comfort spectrum.
            Perhaps I just hang out with a bunch of rich City types.