Re: Mission From God

  • fiendishgames
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 12, 2002
      --- In ukpbm@y..., "fiendishgames" <johnh@f...> wrote:
      > Right, I'm off to lunch now, I'll be back with a full review of what
      > I had in about 2 hours.

      Well I started off with a bottle of San Miguel in a desperate attempt to prolong the summer holiday mood. Refreshing but tasteless in a lagerish sort of way.

      I was lunching with two women which preculded going anywhere that sells bitter, hence the choice of lager. These are regular dining companions of mine and I used to share a bottle of wine with them but got fed up of always being the one to make concessions: I prefer beer to wine and it is bad enough having to go somewhere that only serves lager without also feeling pressured into drinking wine. Not that I am a class war revolutionary or anything; I just don't much like wine.

      For my food I had breast of chicken served on an onion and spinach compost (or some similar French word) in a creamy sauce. It came, as is the norm these days, on a huge shallow bowl with the chicken perched on top of the veggies as if it was trying to hatch an egg. I could have got twice the portion for half the price at the caff down the road although I would have had to have applied my own sauce (ketchup for chicken, I always find) .

      The onion and spinach were a bit watery and not as crisp as I usually like them whilst the sauce did not do much to compensate for the intrinsic blandness of the taste of chicken. An undoubted rip-off at just under a tenner plus two quid plus for the beer, but the surroundings were women-friendly which I guess is what counts.

      God, I'm beginning to sound like Victor Meldrew.
    • Ben & Linley Goodale
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 13, 2002
        I think the word is "compote". They are very fond of that sort of thing over here in Kiwi land. Compost is quite a nice variant, I must say.

        I suppose restaurant reviewing could be an interesting deviation from Mark Boyle baiting for the group.