Re: [ukpbm] Re: Time to say goodbye?

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 12, 2002
      In message <alofbj+lmq2@...>, Mark Boyle
      <markboyle_potb@...> writes
      >Hello Tom,
      >
      >Well, what your resident Geddy Lee lookalike Ben Goodale is on about
      >was actually last November/December time (I think), involved Princess
      >Downes Queen of Hearts, Steve Agar & Alex Bardy deciding to concoct a
      >few fantasies about your truly on the board, then find themselves
      >jolly surprised when I turned up in person to take them to task after
      >four subscribers decided to forward me the contents.
      >
      >To be concise:
      >
      >1. Downes took off when I revealed the hypocrite's own failed attempt
      >to fiddle the ZOTY Poll many moons back whilst continuing to moralise
      >ad nauseum over the 1987 Great Zine Poll Swindle (The Stoat
      >incidentally grumbled to me on the phone this year that Bowen and
      >Downes did a far better job in wrecking the poll than I ever did -
      >well, he did get the two biggest turnouts ever thanks to Yours Truly,
      >one doesn't like to boast but what did he ever do without me...God,
      >I'm so bloody great).

      [Snip]

      But all this happened YEARS ago... why on earth would Ben Goodale want
      to mention it again now? Cooo some people have long memories.

      http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk/dip2000/
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 12, 2002
        In message <su4$eKN0w8f9EwyR@...>, Stephen Agar
        <stephen@...> writes

        >And what's all this putting my name and the word "dignity" in the same
        >sentence - are you trying to ruin my reputation? :-)

        Too late Mr A - we all know now that Mark is a fan. :-)

        http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk/dip2000/
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 12, 2002
          In message <006501c25a52$9c6e7d20$24624fcb@goodale>, Ben & Linley
          Goodale <ben_goodale@...> writes
          >Clearly there's life in the old dog yet.

          Yes indeed... but you just HAD to poke him with a stick didn't you. :-)

          Tom

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 12, 2002
            In message <430E6BBE8858D511B3D000508BF3951AF322D7@UK-STORE1>, Howard
            Bishop <hbishop@...> writes
            >>No, this service is totally free. It's no hassle to leave it running as
            >>such - I am just a little worried that people join, see no activity,
            >>then leave.
            >
            >>How many active amateur zines are they these days? 12-15?
            >>There's certainly very little sense of community.
            >>How many Dip games going? 20?
            >>How's con attendances holding up (rarely been to any since the kids
            >>arrived - though I am going to MidCon this year)?
            >
            >>BTW - listening to a Nick Harper CD as I type this - great stuff -
            >>anyone else like him?
            >

            >Stephen,
            >
            >I understand where you're coming from. When I first joined the hobby a
            >couple of years ago, there were posts to this group almost on a daily basis.
            >There seemed to be a really vibrant initiative to take PBM to the people at
            >that time. I agree that unless there are regular posts, newcomers might be
            >put off. We should either revisit the PBM promotion initiative or use the
            >group for other things, like advertising new games or general hobby news. If
            >it wasn't for this group, my zine wouldn't have survived.
            >
            >BTW. I saw Nick H when I saw Roy H last year. They both played individual
            >sets and then got together to play a joint set at the end.They're back in
            >Wycombe again next month. I already have my ticket! I don't have any of
            >Nick's material. Anything you'd recommend?
            >
            >Cheers
            >Howard

            I was very impressed with "Light at the end of the Kennel" ( a
            mini-album) and "Seed" - which are the only 2 I have at present.
            However, I was sufficiently impressed to order the rest of his back
            catalogue from Amazon.

            He's a bit like an acoustic Manic Street Preachers.

            Ah, Roy Harper. Anyone remember the classic song "The Black Cloud of
            Islam"? It's a wonder he hasn't been fatwa'd.

            --
            Stephen Agar
          • Ben & Linley Goodale
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 13, 2002
              Well, it seems remarkably easy to stir him up. And you get such good value, you know a throwaway line and you get about two pages of A4.

              I'm sure he must either have a good spy or perhaps he is also subbed under a nom de plume so he can flounce dramatically in and out.