Re: [ukpbm] Time to say goodbye?

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 10 2:45 PM
      In message <sd7dc4d8.000@...>, Paul Dowden
      <Paul.Dowden@...> writes
      >If there is a problem paying for the site, I think I could quite easily
      >incorporate the site (free of course) into mine at
      >http://chingfordgames1.homestead.com/pbm2.html; you will notice I have
      >a plug there already for the postal games site.
      >
      >Paul Dowden

      No, this service is totally free. It's no hassle to leave it running as
      such - I am just a little worried that people join, see no activity,
      then leave.

      How many active amateur zines are they these days? 12-15?
      There's certainly very little sense of community.
      How many Dip games going? 20?
      How's con attendances holding up (rarely been to any since the kids
      arrived - though I am going to MidCon this year)?

      BTW - listening to a Nick Harper CD as I type this - great stuff -
      anyone else like him?

      Stephen Agar
    • Bruce Edwards
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 10 2:54 PM
        It all comes down to one question: (imho)

        what do we want to use this message board for?

        Most groups I sub to are organised around a particular game and one or two linked to a specific hobby. The Monster Island group, for example, contains messages relevant to the pbm games run by ABM (in the US) and KJC (UK). Then there are sub-groups for those playing in a particular area or group so that information can be exchanged. I currently sub to 10 zines... 1 is closing down (C&T), 1 is on 'holiday'. I have just written to another and 2 are web-based. Most have letter columns, some mention or review other zines.

        Howard has a point. If it's not costing money, keep it open, but if you want to take yourself off the mailing list, then perhaps someone else would step in??

        Anyway, you've generated a topic of conversation... and a few messages!!
        ;-)

        B.

        psychopath website (for games) - http://www.psychozine.co.uk
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 10 3:11 PM
          In message <002d01c25915$2ae485c0$34e8403e@tinypc>, Bruce Edwards
          <kactusjak@...> writes
          >It all comes down to one question: (imho)
          >
          >what do we want to use this message board for?
          >
          >Most groups I sub to are organised around a particular game and one or
          >two linked to a specific hobby. The Monster Island group, for example,
          >contains messages relevant to the pbm games run by ABM (in the US) and
          >KJC (UK). Then there are sub-groups for those playing in a particular
          >area or group so that information can be exchanged. I currently sub to
          >10 zines... 1 is closing down (C&T), 1 is on 'holiday'. I have just
          >written to another and 2 are web-based. Most have letter columns, some
          >mention or review other zines.
          >
          >Howard has a point. If it's not costing money, keep it open, but if you
          >want to take yourself off the mailing list, then perhaps someone else
          >would step in??
          >
          >Anyway, you've generated a topic of conversation... and a few messages!!
          >;-)

          Next you will be suggesting that I periodically suggest closing the
          group every 18 months or so purely to generate postings.

          What a slander :-)

          --
          Stephen Agar
        • Bruce Edwards
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 10 3:51 PM
            No, it's not slander... that's spoken.
            I think you mean libellous!!
            ;-)

            B.
            psychopath website (for games) - http://www.psychozine.co.uk
            >It all comes down to one question: (imho)
            >
            >what do we want to use this message board for?
            >
            >Most groups I sub to are organised around a particular game and one or
            >two linked to a specific hobby. The Monster Island group, for example,
            >contains messages relevant to the pbm games run by ABM (in the US) and
            >KJC (UK). Then there are sub-groups for those playing in a particular
            >area or group so that information can be exchanged. I currently sub to
            >10 zines... 1 is closing down (C&T), 1 is on 'holiday'. I have just
            >written to another and 2 are web-based. Most have letter columns, some
            >mention or review other zines.
            >
            >Howard has a point. If it's not costing money, keep it open, but if you
            >want to take yourself off the mailing list, then perhaps someone else
            >would step in??
            >
            >Anyway, you've generated a topic of conversation... and a few messages!!
            >;-)

            Next you will be suggesting that I periodically suggest closing the
            group every 18 months or so purely to generate postings.

            What a slander :-)

            --
            Stephen Agar

          • Mark Boyle
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 11 3:16 PM
              Hello Tom,

              Well, what your resident Geddy Lee lookalike Ben Goodale is on about
              was actually last November/December time (I think), involved Princess
              Downes Queen of Hearts, Steve Agar & Alex Bardy deciding to concoct a
              few fantasies about your truly on the board, then find themselves
              jolly surprised when I turned up in person to take them to task after
              four subscribers decided to forward me the contents.

              To be concise:

              1. Downes took off when I revealed the hypocrite's own failed attempt
              to fiddle the ZOTY Poll many moons back whilst continuing to moralise
              ad nauseum over the 1987 Great Zine Poll Swindle (The Stoat
              incidentally grumbled to me on the phone this year that Bowen and
              Downes did a far better job in wrecking the poll than I ever did -
              well, he did get the two biggest turnouts ever thanks to Yours Truly,
              one doesn't like to boast but what did he ever do without me...God,
              I'm so bloody great).

              2. Bardy ranted thrice before cockcrow that he had not being trying
              to goad me into sending him copy for his tatty rag in order to gain
              attention for himself...then subsequently admitted it, then wondered
              what all the fuss was about...seeming to think that was what normal
              people do - forgetting of course that in the real world, as opposed
              to the petty & spiteful "friendly hobby", its what actually earns you
              a Doc Martin in the balls.

              Uncle Tom, Turbonick, Mike Hasbeen & several other rose-tinters were
              rather cross with me being so nasty to Bardy & Downes. In fairness, I
              can see their point - if I'm going to get involved in a battle of
              wits I really ought not to pick on unarmed opponents. But jolly
              embarrassing for them one month later, when Pondlife Bardy was
              practically coming in his pants because, wait for it, Mango had
              reached No.2 in the Zine Poll (on such a massive...ROTFL!...turnout),
              proving what I said that the little jerk was a publicity seeking
              troll that had thrown his rattle out of the pram because Yours Truly
              had refusing to perform for his tatty rag.

              3. UKPBM's house muppet Ben Goodale managed to spout similar piffle
              ("he was so intense"...oh dear), then promptly apologised - but this
              was more to do because he wanted something from me than out of
              regret, ie. some old Uni folk names and addresses. Seems the way of
              the world these days methinks. I duly obliged with the current
              addresses of one Eileen Dougall, Ollie Bath and Simon Biggun, only to
              find him wingeing on this board that I hadn't replied, so I sent them
              again...nothing more heard since. Ho hum. Par for the course in
              hobbyland/life in general - once your usefulness runs out, its ta-ta.

              If there was a "debacle" (nice choice of brown-nosing words to your
              peer group Ben, you ain't changed much...), it was the unsavoury
              spectacle of watching several people opening their mouths and letting
              their bellies rumble, then getting all cross for being taken to task
              over it. The only one that emerged from it with any dignity was
              Stephen Agar, who immediately apologised and drew a line under it.
              Not so Bardy, who simply proved what a slimy reptile he is; not so
              Downes, who was finally shown up for the lying rat he was & scuttled
              off to his hole; and certainly not Goodale, whom to be honest I
              really thought a lot better of - suppose those War Chivalry &
              Lordship classes never taught him much on the finer points of honour.

              Not to worry though, I've better things to concern myself with these
              days than the petty bitchery of a failing hobby that's killed itself
              off...and having discovered the fate of one Joy Hibbert only last
              night, I believe that what goes around come around, & we who laugh
              last laugh the longest.

              Deagh Dhùrachd,

              Mark Boyle
              "Pick of the Bunch"
              (whenever he gets his finger out...)

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 11 4:05 PM
                In message <alofbj+lmq2@...>, Mark Boyle
                <markboyle_potb@...> writes

                >Not to worry though, I've better things to concern myself with these
                >days than the petty bitchery of a failing hobby that's killed itself
                >off...and having discovered the fate of one Joy Hibbert only last
                >night, I believe that what goes around come around, & we who laugh
                >last laugh the longest.

                Whatever I thought of Joy as person, I think it was a tragedy for her
                child that she died when he was still so young (only 6 years old?).
                Anyone know what happened to Lee?

                And what's all this putting my name and the word "dignity" in the same
                sentence - are you trying to ruin my reputation? :-)

                Stephen Agar
              • Howard Bishop
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 12 1:42 AM
                  >No, this service is totally free. It's no hassle to leave it running as
                  >such - I am just a little worried that people join, see no activity,
                  >then leave.

                  >How many active amateur zines are they these days? 12-15?
                  >There's certainly very little sense of community.
                  >How many Dip games going? 20?
                  >How's con attendances holding up (rarely been to any since the kids
                  >arrived - though I am going to MidCon this year)?

                  >BTW - listening to a Nick Harper CD as I type this - great stuff -
                  >anyone else like him?

                  Stephen,

                  I understand where you're coming from. When I first joined the hobby a
                  couple of years ago, there were posts to this group almost on a daily basis.
                  There seemed to be a really vibrant initiative to take PBM to the people at
                  that time. I agree that unless there are regular posts, newcomers might be
                  put off. We should either revisit the PBM promotion initiative or use the
                  group for other things, like advertising new games or general hobby news. If
                  it wasn't for this group, my zine wouldn't have survived.

                  BTW. I saw Nick H when I saw Roy H last year. They both played individual
                  sets and then got together to play a joint set at the end.They're back in
                  Wycombe again next month. I already have my ticket! I don't have any of
                  Nick's material. Anything you'd recommend?

                  Cheers
                  Howard

                • Bruce Edwards
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 12 4:20 AM
                    But what I don't understand is why he's so upset?

                    If he's got "better things to concern myself with these days than the petty bitchery of a failing hobby that's killed itself off..."

                    then what's the problem??

                    B.

                    Clearly there's life in the old dog yet.
> [...]

                    days than the petty bitchery of a failing hobby that's killed itself
                    off...and having discovered the fate of one Joy Hibbert only last
                    night, I believe that what goes around come around, & we who laugh
                    last laugh the longest.

                    Deagh Dhùrachd,

                    Mark Boyle
                    "Pick of the Bunch"
                    (whenever he gets his finger out...)

                    --- In ukpbm@y..., Tom Tweedy <tom@l...> wrote:
                    > In message <005d01c258a8$e23a0b40$fc644fcb@goodale>, Ben & Linley
                    > Goodale <ben_goodale@c...> writes
                    > >
                    > >Hmm. You have a point. Since the Mark Boyle debacle of some
                    months ago, there
                    > >has been resolute silence, though I thought for a minute there we
                    were onto
                    > >something.
                    >
                    > Er... 'Mark Boyle debacle'... did I miss something here?

                  • Ben & Linley Goodale
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 12 4:50 AM

                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 12 5:14 AM
                        In message <alofbj+lmq2@...>, Mark Boyle
                        <markboyle_potb@...> writes
                        >Hello Tom,
                        >
                        >Well, what your resident Geddy Lee lookalike Ben Goodale is on about
                        >was actually last November/December time (I think), involved Princess
                        >Downes Queen of Hearts, Steve Agar & Alex Bardy deciding to concoct a
                        >few fantasies about your truly on the board, then find themselves
                        >jolly surprised when I turned up in person to take them to task after
                        >four subscribers decided to forward me the contents.
                        >
                        >To be concise:
                        >
                        >1. Downes took off when I revealed the hypocrite's own failed attempt
                        >to fiddle the ZOTY Poll many moons back whilst continuing to moralise
                        >ad nauseum over the 1987 Great Zine Poll Swindle (The Stoat
                        >incidentally grumbled to me on the phone this year that Bowen and
                        >Downes did a far better job in wrecking the poll than I ever did -
                        >well, he did get the two biggest turnouts ever thanks to Yours Truly,
                        >one doesn't like to boast but what did he ever do without me...God,
                        >I'm so bloody great).

                        [Snip]

                        But all this happened YEARS ago... why on earth would Ben Goodale want
                        to mention it again now? Cooo some people have long memories.

                        http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk/dip2000/
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 12 5:16 AM
                          In message <su4$eKN0w8f9EwyR@...>, Stephen Agar
                          <stephen@...> writes

                          >And what's all this putting my name and the word "dignity" in the same
                          >sentence - are you trying to ruin my reputation? :-)

                          Too late Mr A - we all know now that Mark is a fan. :-)

                          http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk/dip2000/
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 12 5:20 AM
                            In message <006501c25a52$9c6e7d20$24624fcb@goodale>, Ben & Linley
                            Goodale <ben_goodale@...> writes
                            >Clearly there's life in the old dog yet.

                            Yes indeed... but you just HAD to poke him with a stick didn't you. :-)

                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 12 2:54 PM
                              In message <430E6BBE8858D511B3D000508BF3951AF322D7@UK-STORE1>, Howard
                              Bishop <hbishop@...> writes
                              >>No, this service is totally free. It's no hassle to leave it running as
                              >>such - I am just a little worried that people join, see no activity,
                              >>then leave.
                              >
                              >>How many active amateur zines are they these days? 12-15?
                              >>There's certainly very little sense of community.
                              >>How many Dip games going? 20?
                              >>How's con attendances holding up (rarely been to any since the kids
                              >>arrived - though I am going to MidCon this year)?
                              >
                              >>BTW - listening to a Nick Harper CD as I type this - great stuff -
                              >>anyone else like him?
                              >

                              >Stephen,
                              >
                              >I understand where you're coming from. When I first joined the hobby a
                              >couple of years ago, there were posts to this group almost on a daily basis.
                              >There seemed to be a really vibrant initiative to take PBM to the people at
                              >that time. I agree that unless there are regular posts, newcomers might be
                              >put off. We should either revisit the PBM promotion initiative or use the
                              >group for other things, like advertising new games or general hobby news. If
                              >it wasn't for this group, my zine wouldn't have survived.
                              >
                              >BTW. I saw Nick H when I saw Roy H last year. They both played individual
                              >sets and then got together to play a joint set at the end.They're back in
                              >Wycombe again next month. I already have my ticket! I don't have any of
                              >Nick's material. Anything you'd recommend?
                              >
                              >Cheers
                              >Howard

                              I was very impressed with "Light at the end of the Kennel" ( a
                              mini-album) and "Seed" - which are the only 2 I have at present.
                              However, I was sufficiently impressed to order the rest of his back
                              catalogue from Amazon.

                              He's a bit like an acoustic Manic Street Preachers.

                              Ah, Roy Harper. Anyone remember the classic song "The Black Cloud of
                              Islam"? It's a wonder he hasn't been fatwa'd.

                              --
                              Stephen Agar
                            • Ben & Linley Goodale
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 13 5:28 AM
                                Well, it seems remarkably easy to stir him up. And you get such good value, you know a throwaway line and you get about two pages of A4.

                                I'm sure he must either have a good spy or perhaps he is also subbed under a nom de plume so he can flounce dramatically in and out.