Re: [ukpbm] Zine printing

    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2002
      Howard,

      Printing it yourself is a lot cheaper than the photoshop, but
      time-consuming. Whilst printing (unless you have a GDI printer) fortunately
      you can do other things on your PC whilst it's chugging away. Collating and
      stapling is
      a different matter of course. Whilst doing this for Variable Pig (60 zines,
      40 pages A5) I normally just listen to loud music. To relieve the boredem
      last issue I "treated" my neighbours to the delights of The Cooper Temple
      Clause (See This Through and Leave), Down (Down II - A Bustle in Your
      Hedgerow) and Rammstein (Mutter). At least they couldn't hear the rather
      noisy stapler!

      The biggest up front cost is of course buying a laser printer. I know some
      people use inkjets, but lasers are so much cheaper per page that the higher
      price of the machine is soon recouped (my printer is a Samsung ML-6050 - the
      current model, the ML-6060 is about £250). A while back I worked out the
      total costs of producing the Pig, shown below.

      Richard.

      Pig Production costs

      No.of zines printed 57
      Toner cost per page 0.016
      Number of pages 2up 20 Toner Total 18.24

      Number of sheets 10
      Paper cost per sheet 0.0066 Paper Total 3.76

      Cost per staple 0.0025 Staples Total 0.285

      No. of envelopes sent 53
      Cost per envelope 0.04 Envelopes Total 2.12

      UK sent 47
      UK postage 0.33 UK Postage Total 15.51

      EC sent 3
      EC postage 0.75 EC Postage Total 2.25