Re: 2002 Hobby Awards

  • Jim Burgess
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2002
      2002 HOBBY AWARDS NOMINATIONS April 1, 2002

      Chairperson: Jim Burgess, burgess@..., 664 Smith Street,
      Providence, RI 02908-4327, USA; (401) 351-0287

      Hello, as Chairman of the Hobby Awards Committee, I want to thank
      all of you who voted last year and took us to record voting totals.
      I'd like to break that record again this year and get a bit more
      input at the "nomination" point. Right now, I am soliciting for
      nominations. I have received a number of them already, but the
      awards will be most accurate and representative if I receive more.
      Self nominations are possible, though obviously nominations by
      others get more weight. Web links to articles, web sites, and
      other relevant information for the Committee and for voters
      is highly appreciated. It is a VERY difficult task to try to
      account for the entire Diplomacy hobby in working out these awards,
      but we do the best we can and high levels of publicity are the
      best way to do it. We will be sending out plaques to the winners
      as usual.

      SPECIAL ukpbm note: I've been looking for a British member of
      the Awards Committee and I'm still looking for a volunteer.
      Awards Committee members are ineligible for all awards and
      help to keep the nominations as balanced as possible.
      I should note that MOST of the nominations I've received from
      external parties so far are for Europeans, about half of those
      being British Isles and the other half Continental. Two out
      of the four winners last year also were British so perhaps I
      shouldn't be worried, but I have heard some "grumbling" from
      some Brits about this.

      Thanks to everyone and here are the award categories:

      1) Don Miller Award (Meritorious Service)
      [2001 winner was Stephen Agar]

      2) Rod Walker Award (Literature)
      [2001 winner was Allan Calhamer]

      3) John Koning Award (Player Performance)
      [2001 winner was Simon Bouton]

      4) Fred Hyatt Award (GM Performance)
      [2001 winner was Doug Burgoyne]

      Last year's ballot is at:
      http://devel.diplom.org/DipPouch/Postal/Zines/TAP/BALLOT01.html

      DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS IS APRIL 15, 2002 TO ME BY E-MAIL OR POST

      The deadline for votes again will be Labor Day Weekend (September).

      The Committee currently consists of myself (Chairperson), Fred Davis
      (Treasurer), Melinda Holley, Gary Behnen, Paul Kenny, Robert Lesco, and
      Jamie Dreier. Please send me any contributions or comments to:

      Jim Burgess, burgess@..., 664 Smith Street, Providence, RI
      02908-4327, USA; (401) 351-0287. Thank you for your participation.