626New Dutch representative for the ISE (also Settlers by e-mail)

    Aug 1, 2000
      As a result of a message posted on the Settlers Smartgroups e-mail list (you
      can join by sending a blank e-mail to
      subscribe-settlers_of_catan@... or by visiting
      http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/settlers_of_catan) we have a new Dutch
      representative of the International Subscription Exchange (ISE).

      For those of you unaware of what the ISE is, it is a scheme designed to make
      it easier to buy things from abroad using one's own native currency.

      The scheme works like this.

      You are based in the UK.

      You wish to subscribe to a US zine.

      You send a cheque in pounds sterling to the UK representative of the
      International Subscription Exchange (that's me - John Harrington, 1 Churchbury
      Close, Enfield, Middlesex, EN1 3UW) explaining what the cheque is for - i.e.
      giving details of the US zine you wish to subscribe to and the address of the
      editor of that zine.

      I send an e-mail to the US representative of the ISE (Jim Burgess, 664 Smith
      Street, Providence, RI 02908-4327) giving him the relevant details and he
      sends a check (sic) in US dollars to the appropriate editor. Jim and I then
      keep a record of how much is owed by whom and periodically one of us sends off
      a cheque to the other to keep the ISE roughly in balance.

      Obviously if you are based in the US the scheme works in a similar way except
      you send the check to Jim.

      OK, so now we have a Dutch representative and his name is Ronald Camstra, and
      he lives at Wielingenplein 48, 3522 PE Utrecht, the Netherlands.

      Historically we have not had much contact with the Dutch postal gaming hobby,
      in fact I don't even know if there is one. So why do we need a Dutch contact?
      Well, it actually came about because Ronald has developed some software to
      enable people to play Settlers of Catan by e-mail. For the small fee of £3 he
      will sell an English version of this software to make it easier for the
      English speaking world (!) to join in the fun of Settlers by e-mail. You can
      e-mail Ronald for more details of the Settlers Play By E-Mail (PBEM) scene.
      His e-mail address is siedler@....

      Hopefully some of you will give PBEM Settlers a try (I'm hoping to after we
      have published The Metric Mile) and act as "missionaries" for the Postal
      hobby; at the very least people who play Settlers should be interested in
      British zines like Counter, Games Games Games and Games Gazette, and I see no
      reason why the likes of For Whom The Die Rolls, SMEG and other zines with a
      high electronic profile should not also appeal.

      In case there are any Dutch people reading this e-mail who want to subscribe
      to UK or US zines (or, for that matter, buy some Fiendish Board Games
      products) in guilders then all they have to do is contact Ronald and transfer
      the requisite amount of money to his bank account (apparently they don't go a
      lot on cheques in the Netherlands). Details of his account are:

      Postbankaccount 4652247 of Ronald Camstra in Utrecht.

      I think that's all I have to say at the moment although i am bound to have
      forgotten something.

      Fiendish Board Games - makers of innovative and interactive board games for people of all ages. http://www.fbgames.co.uk
      This e-mail has been sent to you courtesy of OperaMail, a
      free web-based service from Opera Software, makers of
      the award-winning Web Browser - http://www.operasoftware.com