1200Re: the "Badly Written" rule

  • Mike Dean
    Oct 3, 2003

      The PSYCHOPATH house rules actually do state that the GM should be
      informed of deliberate misorders, and that badly written orders
      where the meaning is clear WILL be interpretted as such. So if you
      order F Bul-Con when you have an army, and you don't state that it
      is an intentional misorder, the GM should simply move your army!

      Of course, this means that it is obvious to the other players that
      you deliberately misordered. But so it goes....

      I still reiterate - why do you need a human GM if you are going to
      be so dogmatic about how people should submit orders and that their
      abbreviations should be absolutely correctly spelt or they misorder.
      If that's your view - go play on the JUDGES! A bit of pragmatism is
      called for here and I will always maintain that a good GM will show
      pragmatism when it comes to interpretting orders.

      On psychopath, and I am sure it MUST be true of Dip2000 and other
      sites too - we have a number of players whose first language is NOT
      English. This means that I have often seen orders which instead of
      putting the usual abbreviation for a province on the board clearly
      put something which is an abbreviation of the province name in the
      language of the person submitting the order. What is any reasonably
      minded GM supposed to do in those circumstances?

      IF we follow Malcolm's view - they should be misordered - and hey,
      guess what? The player thinks SOD THAT for a lark, NMRs, anarchies
      and never returns! Well that isn't going to happen when I'm GMing,
      and I hope wouldn't happen on psychopath at all.

      Ah well. I think I will have to agree to disagree on this one. But
      one thing is for sure - I won't change my pragmatic style of GMing
      to be so dogmatic that I discourage players from participating on
      psychopath!

      cheers

      MIKE

      --- In ukpbm@yahoogroups.com, Ben & Linley Goodale