Re: [ukha_d] H264 or MJPG

  • ant
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2013
      H.264 is a video compression algorithm. MJPEG is just a bunch of
      JPEGs, one after another. So the latter will use a lot more bandwidth
      and storage.

      The "MJPEG is better for fast moving objects" argument is nonsense.
      Other MJPEG arguments (generally mooted by camera manufacturers who
      only support MJPEG) are that the image quality is better, and that the
      latency is lower. In the former case they like to disregard any
      bandwidth constraints and compare low-compression JPEGs with low
      bitrate compressed video. The latency issue is certainly valid, cheapo
      network cameras with H.264 or equivalent can introduce a second or two
      of latency on top of the network latency, so if you want to do
      motion-tracking or really responsive PTZ it's a better option.

      Cameras with H.264 codecs in 'em also tend to be more expensive, and
      in my experience an H.264 camera will usually do MJPEG also.

      Hope that helps!

      ant