Re: [ukha_d] Creating PCBs

  • Geoff H
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1 8:35 AM
      I have used pcbtrain.co.uk in the past, but have usually ordered about
      10 at a time. Not sure how they would compare for one-off production.

      Geoff

      On 01/04/2012 12:29, Wayne Harrison wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > I am looking for recommendations for a service that would take a PCB design (From something like Eagle CAD) and send back a circuit board drilled and ready to solder to. Typically this will be prototype / single ones offs at a time rather than 100's of boards. Is there such a service for the hobbyist rather than full blown board production (which is where Google seems to be taking me so far).
      >
      > Thanks all,
      > Wayne.

    • Joseph Heenan
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1 11:20 AM
        Hi Wayne,

        For a one-off, try this:

        http://www.spiritcircuits.co.uk/services/go-naked

        It's just a bare board (no solder masks / silk screens), but you can't
        beat the price (free).

        I've had several free boards from them, and have had a production batch
        too, no problems.

        For small quantities, try their sister company on ebay:

        http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Stickleback-Manufacturing/Stickleback-Circuits-/

        They sell half a square foot or a square foot of pcbs, single or double
        sided, and will panelise as many of a single design as will fit in that
        space.

        Cheers,

        Joseph

        On 01/04/2012 12:29, Wayne Harrison wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I am looking for recommendations for a service that would take a PCB design (From something like Eagle CAD) and send back a circuit board drilled and ready to solder to. Typically this will be prototype / single ones offs at a time rather than 100's of boards. Is there such a service for the hobbyist rather than full blown board production (which is where Google seems to be taking me so far).
        >
        > Thanks all,
        > Wayne.

      • Wayne Harrison
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1 1:21 PM
          Thanks all!

          Theres a few to be chewing on there! Wouldn't have even considered looking on eBay for this so interesting find on that one!

          Stuart, I'm guessing to separate those pcb's was just a case of scoring with a knife?

          I'm also thinking that getting a small number of boards done is probably a better idea - just in case something gets chewed in the process ;-)

          again , thats all for the heads up!
          Wayne.

          On 1 Apr 2012, at 12:29, Wayne Harrison wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I am looking for recommendations for a service that would take a PCB design (From something like Eagle CAD) and send back a circuit board drilled and ready to solder to. Typically this will be prototype / single ones offs at a time rather than 100's of boards. Is there such a service for the hobbyist rather than full blown board production (which is where Google seems to be taking me so far).
          >
          > Thanks all,
          > Wayne.

        • Stuart Poulton
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1 3:20 PM
            Hi,

            Nope, no separation needed boards came already cut to the correct size to fit the case.

            Stuart

            On 1 Apr 2012, at 21:21, Wayne Harrison wrote:

            > Thanks all!
            >
            > Theres a few to be chewing on there! Wouldn't have even considered looking on eBay for this so interesting find on that one!
            >
            > Stuart, I'm guessing to separate those pcb's was just a case of scoring with a knife?
            >
            > I'm also thinking that getting a small number of boards done is probably a better idea - just in case something gets chewed in the process ;-)
            >
            > again , thats all for the heads up!
            > Wayne.
            >
            > On 1 Apr 2012, at 12:29, Wayne Harrison wrote:
            >
            >> Hi All,
            >>
            >> I am looking for recommendations for a service that would take a PCB design (From something like Eagle CAD) and send back a circuit board drilled and ready to solder to. Typically this will be prototype / single ones offs at a time rather than 100's of boards. Is there such a service for the hobbyist rather than full blown board production (which is where Google seems to be taking me so far).
            >>
            >> Thanks all,
            >> Wayne.

          • Dave McLaughlin
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1 3:47 PM
              Hi Wayne,

              Try ezPCB in China. (www.ezpcb.com)

              I use them all the time and they are cheaper than anyone else I have used.
              Rather than use their website, email your Gerber files to Nila at this email
              address and tell her I gave you the contact details. Get them to give you a
              quote. There is no requirement to place an order with them but worth getting
              a price to compare with. You can pay with bank transfer or Paypal.

              nila@...

              I get all my boards made by them unless I am also getting them populated and
              then I use myropcb for that.

              You also have pcb-pool in Ireland, assuming you are located in Europe? They
              are good but a bit more expensive than ezPCB.

              By the way, both companies do proper full through hole plated boards so no
              need to mess around joining the 2 sides by hand. ezPCB includes the
              soldermask and silkscreen in their costs, pcb-pool it is extra so watch for
              that when you price. Soldermask is a minimum of if have any SMD parts. :o)

              Good luck.

              Regards

              Dave.

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4 3:58 PM
                Thanks everyone for the replies!

                Nice find with the 'go-naked' option - for one offs that doesn't need any real 'finesse' could come in handy. If a project ever gets any further than that - then I've got a few to choose from!

                Thanks all again.
                Wayne.