TV Recommendations?

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 7, 2012
      Got to replace my TV.
      I've had a quick google.
      What's best LCD, LED with local dimming or edge lit LED TVs?

      And which makes/models?

      Current 4:3 ratio TV is 14.5" on the vertical.
      Not sure what that equates to on the diagonal for wide screen TVs?

      Thx
      Andy
    • Marcus Warrington
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 7, 2012
        Andy

        Using Pythagoras and a bit of maths, 14.5" vertical gives a diagonal screen size of ~24" (I'd guess it's a 26" tube but the bezel is cropping it down to 24"). Scaling that to a 16:9 ratio means that in order to maintain the same vertical height you'd require a screen size of 29" which means you'll be looking at a 32" (and hence a slight increase in vertical height)

        As to TV recommendations, I'd say Plasma rather than LCD/LED but then that's a whole new flame war :) I'd recommend checking out any TV on AV Forums; at least it'll give you an idea of any known issues with the TV before you buy; http://www.avforums.com/

        I'd also recommend checking COSTCO to see if they sell the TV you're after. They aren't usually the cheapest, although they do sometimes have special offers on. The good thing about COSTCO is they have a 90day refund policy. So you can buy the TV and effectively trial it at home for 3months then take it back for a full refund - no questions asked. You can even take it back and then buy another one and get another 90 days. I'm not sure how many times you can do that but I know of people who have done it at least 4 times. Another good thing with COSTCO is that all TV have a 5year warranty... and it's a really good warranty as well. A lot of policies give you a sliding percentage of the purchase price based on the age of the TV, but COSTCO give you a full refund of the purchase price if it breaks within 5 years. Although you do have to pay £30 a year for membership, you only need to be a member to buy the TV and a member if you claim, you don't have to be a member for the intervening years. So basically it's £30 for a 5 year warranty, and £60 if you make a claim.

        Marcus

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 8, 2012
          I'd second the Costco idea - great service and warranty and the pricing is usually pretty keen, especially of there is an offer. A word of caution, once you go in there are so many huge TVs in vast surroundings that it makes the one you are considering look tiny - I bought a 46" 3D Samsung screen there before Xmas (very pleased with it BTW) but was convinced it was going to be too small as it was in with so many monster screens - naturally when I brought it home I discovered that it was right on the acceptable size limits and any bigger would have had severe WAF consequences.

          Oh, also we all call Costco the "hundred pound shop" as nobody has ever managed to visit without being relieved of that amount as a minimum.

          Go and get it!

          Tim.
        • alan.trevennor@talk21.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 8, 2012
            Check around though. When I bought a Samsung TV about 3 years ago, Amazon was offering the same price as CostCo with free delivery. So, although CostCo is often cheaper, isn't always: Especially considering you have to fetch it yourself.

            --- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <tim@...> wrote:

            > I'd second the Costco idea - great service and warranty and the pricing is usually pretty keen, especially of there is an offer. A word of caution, once you go in there are so many huge TVs in vast surroundings that it makes the one you are considering look tiny - I bought a 46" 3D Samsung screen there before Xmas (very pleased with it BTW) but was convinced it was going to be too small as it was in with so many monster screens - naturally when I brought it home I discovered that it was right on the acceptable size limits and any bigger would have had severe WAF consequences.
            >
            > Oh, also we all call Costco the "hundred pound shop" as nobody has ever managed to visit without being relieved of that amount as a minimum.
            >
            > Go and get it!
            >
            > Tim.

          • Andy
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 8, 2012
              Thx for the replies.
              But what I really want to know is which technology?
              I'm going for 32" so will be either LCD or LED.
              I think plasma is likely to be too expensive?
              Regards
              Andy

              --- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, Marcus Warrington <marcus.warrington@...> wrote:

              > Andy
              >
              > Using Pythagoras and a bit of maths, 14.5" vertical gives a diagonal screen size of ~24" (I'd guess it's a 26" tube but the bezel is cropping it down to 24"). Scaling that to a 16:9 ratio means that in order to maintain the same vertical height you'd require a screen size of 29" which means you'll be looking at a 32" (and hence a slight increase in vertical height)
              >
              > As to TV recommendations, I'd say Plasma rather than LCD/LED but then that's a whole new flame war :) I'd recommend checking out any TV on AV Forums; at least it'll give you an idea of any known issues with the TV before you buy; http://www.avforums.com/
              >
              > I'd also recommend checking COSTCO to see if they sell the TV you're after. They aren't usually the cheapest, although they do sometimes have special offers on. The good thing about COSTCO is they have a 90day refund policy. So you can buy the TV and effectively trial it at home for 3months then take it back for a full refund - no questions asked. You can even take it back and then buy another one and get another 90 days. I'm not sure how many times you can do that but I know of people who have done it at least 4 times. Another good thing with COSTCO is that all TV have a 5year warranty... and it's a really good warranty as well. A lot of policies give you a sliding percentage of the purchase price based on the age of the TV, but COSTCO give you a full refund of the purchase price if it breaks within 5 years. Although you do have to pay £30 a year for membership, you only need to be a member to buy the TV and a member if you claim, you don't have to be a member for the intervening years. So basically it's £30 for a 5 year warranty, and £60 if you make a claim.
              >
              > Marcus

            • Neil Ball
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 9, 2012
                You’ll not get a 32” plasma, so LCD is the order of the day. LED screens are
                still using LCD technology, it’s just that the backlight is via an LED array
                rather than a CFL lamp. Direct local dimming gives the best compromise
                between decent contrast performance and screen uniformity at the expense of
                being thicker than edge-lit screens. IMHO Samsung and Panasonic give the
                best value and picture quality, Philips can be good for decent audio too.

                Neil B.

                --- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com> , Marcus
                Warrington <marcus.warrington@...> wrote:

                > Andy
                >
                > Using Pythagoras and a bit of maths, 14.5" vertical gives a diagonal
                screen size of ~24" (I'd guess it's a 26" tube but the bezel is cropping it
                down to 24"). Scaling that to a 16:9 ratio means that in order to maintain
                the same vertical height you'd require a screen size of 29" which means
                you'll be looking at a 32" (and hence a slight increase in vertical height)

                > As to TV recommendations, I'd say Plasma rather than LCD/LED but then
                that's a whole new flame war :) I'd recommend checking out any TV on AV
                Forums; at least it'll give you an idea of any known issues with the TV
                before you buy; http://www.avforums.com/

                > I'd also recommend checking COSTCO to see if they sell the TV you're
                after. They aren't usually the cheapest, although they do sometimes have
                special offers on. The good thing about COSTCO is they have a 90day refund
                policy. So you can buy the TV and effectively trial it at home for 3months
                then take it back for a full refund - no questions asked. You can even take
                it back and then buy another one and get another 90 days. I'm not sure how
                many times you can do that but I know of people who have done it at least 4
                times. Another good thing with COSTCO is that all TV have a 5year
                warranty... and it's a really good warranty as well. A lot of policies give
                you a sliding percentage of the purchase price based on the age of the TV,
                but COSTCO give you a full refund of the purchase price if it breaks within
                5 years. Although you do have to pay £30 a year for membership, you only
                need to be a member to buy the TV and a member if you claim, you don't have
                to be a member for the intervening years. So basically it's £30 for a 5 year
                warranty, and £60 if you make a claim.

                > Marcus

              • Andy
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 9, 2012
                  Thx Neil,

                  Just after I posted I did another google and came to the same conclusion that I wouldn't get a plasma TV in 32". And direct dimming LED backlight was the best option.
                  Can you recommend any particular Samsung or Panasonic 32" models with direct local dimming LEDs?

                  Thx
                  Andy

                  --- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Ball" <neilball@...> wrote:

                  > You'll not get a 32" plasma, so LCD is the order of the day. LED screens are
                  > still using LCD technology, it's just that the backlight is via an LED array
                  > rather than a CFL lamp. Direct local dimming gives the best compromise
                  > between decent contrast performance and screen uniformity at the expense of
                  > being thicker than edge-lit screens. IMHO Samsung and Panasonic give the
                  > best value and picture quality, Philips can be good for decent audio too.
                  >

                  > Neil B.

                • Andy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 9, 2012
                    I forgot to ask....
                    Some are 720p and some 1080p (full HD). Which should I go for?
                    And what else should I look out for?
                    Thx
                    Andy

                    --- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "Andy" <andywhitfield2002@...> wrote:

                    > Thx Neil,
                    >
                    > Just after I posted I did another google and came to the same conclusion that I wouldn't get a plasma TV in 32". And direct dimming LED backlight was the best option.
                    > Can you recommend any particular Samsung or Panasonic 32" models with direct local dimming LEDs?
                    >
                    > Thx
                    > Andy
                    >
                    > --- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Ball" <neilball@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > You'll not get a 32" plasma, so LCD is the order of the day. LED screens are
                    > > still using LCD technology, it's just that the backlight is via an LED array
                    > > rather than a CFL lamp. Direct local dimming gives the best compromise
                    > > between decent contrast performance and screen uniformity at the expense of
                    > > being thicker than edge-lit screens. IMHO Samsung and Panasonic give the
                    > > best value and picture quality, Philips can be good for decent audio too.
                    > >

                    > > Neil B.

                  • Neil Ball
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 9, 2012
                      I'd not be too hung up about 720 v 1080 unless you sit very close, I'd be
                      more tempted to go by the additional features versus cost. That said only
                      the budget ranges tend to still be 720p, so unless you are looking for
                      absolutely lowest price then you will probably find the sets are all Full
                      HD.

                      Samsung 6000/7000/8000 ranges are very good, 2011 models (where available)
                      may be worth looking at if they are discounted as the 2012 replacements are
                      now starting to appear. There is very little to choose between them in terms
                      of picture quality, it is the "added features" and thinness that tend to be
                      the differentiators.

                      Neil B.

                      --- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com> , "Andy"

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 17, 2012
                        One more question....
                        I had a quick play with an LCD TV with edge lit LEDs and it has setting for backlighting, contrast and brightness.
                        Contrast and brightness speak for themselves.
                        But what effect on the picture does adjusting the backlighting setting? (It was on 100%).
                        Does it effect the contrast under certain conditions? e.g. night scenes?

                      • Neil Ball
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 23, 2012
                          The backlight settings can be thought of like a dimmer switch for the
                          backlight intensity - the backlight is needed as LCD is not
                          self-illuminating unlike plasma cells, therefore without a light source to
                          shine through the RGB arrays the picture would be black. Exactly how the
                          backlight works depends on the TV - some models simply have a uniform
                          backlight so adjusting its level simply makes the entire source for the
                          screen higher or lower. At higher settings the screen will be brighter but
                          this can have an adverse effect on black levels. Other screens (usually
                          using a direct LED array rather than edge-lit) use local dimming of the
                          backlight too so that if that area of the screen is meant to be dark then
                          the backlight can be automatically adjusted to improve the appearance of
                          dark scenes.

                          When you take a look at any TV in a shop environment you are likely to find
                          it is in "shop" mode with all of the settings maxed out to make the screen
                          as bright as possible under the often very bright shop lighting. This makes
                          it hard to really assess how well the screen might perform in your living
                          room! You'll only find properly set up screens in specialist AV dealers demo
                          rooms but they will not have several models set up to compare.

                          Neil B.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 31, 2012
                            Thx for the info Neil,
                            The first TV was for my father. In the end it was an edge lit LCD TV.
                            I've set the backlight to 85%, the contrast to 85% and the brightness to +20
                            The first 2 are, I believe, 0 to 100, but the brightness is -50 to +50 (or maybe -100 to +100). I.E. zero on brightness is the half way setting.
                            Gives a reasonable picture. But sometimes does look to high and sometimes too low on contrast.

                            Still got to get myself a new TV. Thinking might get a Panasonic?