RE: [ukha_d] Windows Media Center Edition - 2005 - Killer App

  • JT @ Home
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
      Thanks Pete / Don,

      im currently working for EDS …. Time to speak to me boss.

      Wouldn’t mind a new laptop .. and a desktop … I wonder !

      Jonathan.

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
          Yes, that’s what we are limited to - 1 PC per employee.

          Had a choice of three desktop configurations and two laptops.

          It was also restricted to a small window of opportunity to make an
          application - 4 weeks. If you didn't get your application in by the cut off
          date then no PC. They also made great emphasis that this was a one off and
          may not be repeated.

          Still I got my request in on time and am the hirer of a nice new PC.

          Three years deductions from salary for a three year loan period then I can
          either give it back with a final administration payment of £60 or keep it
          with a final administration payment of £60!

          I've got three years to decide which option to take :-)

          Don

          im currently working for EDS .... Time to speak to me boss.

          Wouldn't mind a new laptop .. and a desktop ... I wonder !

          Probably not a goer John, - AFAIK the Inland Revenue rules limit the
          scheme to 1 PC per person (according to the literature I've been given
          by my employer, anyway).

          Paul G.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • JT @ Home
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
            Hi don,

            What sort of price is it costing you ? (if you don’t mind me asking)

            I’ve yet to speak to my employer…

            I also own a ltd company .. wonder if I could put it thru there?
            Jonathan.

            im currently working for EDS .... Time to speak to me boss.

            Wouldn't mind a new laptop .. and a desktop ... I wonder !

            Probably not a goer John, - AFAIK the Inland Revenue rules limit the
            scheme to 1 PC per person (according to the literature I've been given
            by my employer, anyway).

            Paul G.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129n481j8/M=283686.4531047.5839501.4420029/
            D=groups/S=1705041992:HM/EXP=1101985371/A=2044486/R=0/SIG=10svm8ftb/*htt
            p:/www.theironshop.com> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=283686.4531047.5839501.4420029/D=group
            s/S=:HM/A=2044486/rand=531114487>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • ianh1000
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
              Hi All

              It is possible to order more than 1 machine under HCI, the limit is
              £2,500 inc vat at the full normal price. You then do not pay VAT and
              the payments ( lease) are taken from gross pay saving you another 40%
              if you are a higher rate tax payer.

              I have just ordered a Media Edition PC with 19" monitor that has a
              high street price of £1,500 and should pay something like £21 per
              month. This includes deliver and 3 years support, there is the option
              to buy at the end of 3 years at less than 5% of the full price.

              If any of you work for large companies and would like to encourage
              this scheme as an option to all of you staff contact me off list
              so that I can get someone to contact you or at least I can mail you a
              brochure. It is also attractive to the employer as they also make
              savings on the NI that they pay as it is a salary sacrifice scheme.

              On our scheme you can chose from 4 desktops, 3 laptops and a lot of
              accessories like printers and monitors. Even a very nice 23"
              1900x1200 LCD monitor.

              Regards
              Ian

              --- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "JT @ Home" <Jonathan@j...> wrote:
              > Hi don,
              >
              > What sort of price is it costing you ? (if you don't mind me asking)
              >
              > I've yet to speak to my employer…
              >
              > I also own a ltd company .. wonder if I could put it thru there?
              > Jonathan.

              App

              > Yes, that's what we are limited to - 1 PC per employee.
              >
              > Had a choice of three desktop configurations and two laptops.
              >
              > It was also restricted to a small window of opportunity to make an
              > application - 4 weeks. If you didn't get your application in by the
              cut
              > off
              > date then no PC. They also made great emphasis that this was a one
              off
              > and
              > may not be repeated.
              >
              > Still I got my request in on time and am the hirer of a nice new PC.
              >
              > Three years deductions from salary for a three year loan period
              then I
              > can
              > either give it back with a final administration payment of £60 or
              keep
              > it
              > with a final administration payment of £60!
              >
              > I've got three years to decide which option to take :-)
              >
              > Don

            • Don McAllister
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
                Net monthly cost of £21.18 per month once you take into account tax savings
                and NI savings

                Cost over three years =£762.48

                The normal retail price of the PC is £1689.97 (allegedly!)but it does
                include a 3 year onsite warranty

                Alleged savings of 51% over the retail price.

                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
                  >I also own a ltd company .. wonder if I could put it thru there?

                  Jonathan,

                  I do too and I asked my accountant about this scheme. They felt, in my
                  case, since I am an IT co. anyway that I should have no probs buying
                  whatever pc's I wanted to "keep up with the industry" or whatever and there
                  was no great advantage in going thru this scheme anyway.

                  This may or may not apply in your case...

                  Cheers,

                  T.
                • Paul Gordon
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
                    Similar for me, although I don't know the *exact* final figures, since the illustrations I have are for someone still in SERPS. Being contracted out of SERPS will apparently make a (very small) difference... - I think we are talking in the realms of pennies though...

                    Mine is costing approximately £18.30/month after the tax & NI savings, so roughly £658 over the 3 years. At the end, I either return it or purchase it for its residual value. The residual value is *estimated* to be £75. There's also a £75 "admin fee" due for returning it though, so I know which option I'll be taking!...

                    FYI the machine I'm getting (on Dec 15th) for this money is:

                    Fujitsu-Seimens Amilo D 1845 widescreen laptop
                    Mobile P4 3.2GHz CPU
                    1024MB DDR RAM
                    80GB HDD
                    15.4" WXGA TFT (widescreen)
                    ATI mobility Radeon 9700 Graphics (128MB VRAM)
                    Dual-layer, multi-format DVDRW
                    10/100 Ethernet
                    802.11G wireless built in
                    USB2 and IEE1394 built in
                    3 years collect & return warranty

                    And even comes with a games pack from EA Games, including: Medal of Honour deluxe edition, The Sims, and Need for Speed Underground...

                    Not bad I thought....

                    Comes with XP Home :-( but that's easily rectified, and I may well try MCE2005 on it, if the graphics HW is compatible.

                    Paul G.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
                      On 01/12/2004 at 08:32 JT @ Home wrote:

                      >Thanks Pete / Don,
                      >
                      >im currently working for EDS …. Time to speak to me boss.

                      I bet you don;t have a beard then ;P

                      Andy
                    • Rob Mouser
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
                        ......and what happens if you leave your employer before 3 years?

                        Many thanks,

                        Rob
                      • ianh1000
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
                          Ah, there is always a catch isn't there.

                          Our contract seems to be that you must pay all remaining payments
                          from net not gross salary ( no tax benefit) but you do get to keep
                          the hardware.

                          HCI can be a good deal if you are going to buy a PC anyway. Its the
                          first time I have every bought a PC rather than build one myself,
                          with MCE I thought it made sense to go this way.

                          My main disappointment will be if they add the HP Digital
                          Entertainment Center to this as it is much better with component
                          video out and dual tuner cards, it also looks like a bit of HIFI co
                          could go in the lounge.

                          I am off to the US in Feb so may buy a media receiver if I can
                          confirm it will work.
                          --- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Mouser" <groups@m...> wrote:
                          > ......and what happens if you leave your employer before 3 years?
                          >

                          > Many thanks,
                          >
                          > Rob
                        • Matthew Walker
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
                            There is an explanation of a similar scheme here:
                            www.epcis.co.uk
                            MW

                            It is possible to order more than 1 machine under HCI, the limit is
                            £2,500 inc vat at the full normal price. You then do not pay VAT and
                            the payments ( lease) are taken from gross pay saving you another 40%
                            if you are a higher rate tax payer.

                            I have just ordered a Media Edition PC with 19" monitor that has a
                            high street price of £1,500 and should pay something like £21 per
                            month. This includes deliver and 3 years support, there is the option
                            to buy at the end of 3 years at less than 5% of the full price.

                            If any of you work for large companies and would like to encourage
                            this scheme as an option to all of you staff contact me off list
                            so that I can get someone to contact you or at least I can mail you a
                            brochure. It is also attractive to the employer as they also make
                            savings on the NI that they pay as it is a salary sacrifice scheme.

                            On our scheme you can chose from 4 desktops, 3 laptops and a lot of
                            accessories like printers and monitors. Even a very nice 23"
                            1900x1200 LCD monitor.

                            Regards
                            Ian

                            --- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "JT @ Home" <Jonathan@j...> wrote:
                            > Hi don,
                            >
                            > What sort of price is it costing you ? (if you don't mind me asking)
                            >
                            > I've yet to speak to my employer…
                            >
                            > I also own a ltd company .. wonder if I could put it thru there?
                            > Jonathan.

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Matthew Walker
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
                              You have to pay the excess out of your net salary (according to
                              www.epcis.co.uk - we're looking at their scheme).
                              MW

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
                                Hi Matt,

                                Feel free to take a look at our offering. I do not class this as an
                                advert as I have nothing to do with this part of the company.

                                www.hp.com/uk/hci

                                Regards
                                Ian
                                --- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Walker" <Matthew.Walker@a...>
                                wrote:

                                > There is an explanation of a similar scheme here:
                                > www.epcis.co.uk
                                > MW

                                App

                                > Hi All
                                >
                                > It is possible to order more than 1 machine under HCI, the limit is
                                > £2,500 inc vat at the full normal price. You then do not pay VAT
                                and
                                > the payments ( lease) are taken from gross pay saving you another
                                40%
                                > if you are a higher rate tax payer.
                                >
                                > I have just ordered a Media Edition PC with 19" monitor that has a
                                > high street price of £1,500 and should pay something like £21 per
                                > month. This includes deliver and 3 years support, there is the
                                option
                                > to buy at the end of 3 years at less than 5% of the full price.
                                >
                                > If any of you work for large companies and would like to encourage
                                > this scheme as an option to all of you staff contact me off list
                                > so that I can get someone to contact you or at least I can mail you
                                > brochure. It is also attractive to the employer as they also make
                                > savings on the NI that they pay as it is a salary sacrifice scheme.
                                >
                                > On our scheme you can chose from 4 desktops, 3 laptops and a lot of
                                > accessories like printers and monitors. Even a very nice 23"
                                > 1900x1200 LCD monitor.
                                >
                                > Regards
                                > Ian
                                >

                                > --- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "JT @ Home" <Jonathan@j...> wrote:
                                > > Hi don,
                                > >
                                > > What sort of price is it costing you ? (if you don't mind me
                                asking)

                                > > I've yet to speak to my employer…
                                > >
                                > > I also own a ltd company .. wonder if I could put it thru there?
                                > > Jonathan.

                                Terms