Guardian Unlimited British Blog Awards.

  • simonwaldman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2003
      Dear all

      I'm writing this just as I go on holiday...so not only do I comit the
      sin of lurking in this group, but when I finally post, I then
      disappear again. Apologies.

      Just to say: in next week's Online (and on our site) we'll announce
      our new blogging competition. Yes, there is going to be one. (I
      promise, I didn't time my holiday to co-incide with the announcement)

      Full details will be revealed there and then - but so you know, we
      took a lot of last year's errr...constructive criticism on board, and
      we've made the following changes

      - We're introducing categories: not saying all of them yet, but they
      include 'Best Use of Photography' and 'Best Under 18'..with a prize
      for each.

      - We're not having an overall winner...

      - A new title: GU British Blog Awards..rather than Best British Blog

      - Loads more judges...including major celebrities such as last year's
      winner Scary Duck, and some other lesser known mortals like....well,
      you can find out next week.

      I'd be shocked, stunned and amazed - not to mention slightly
      disappointed - if you don't find fault with some of what we're
      proposing. But overall, I hope you can see that we've listened to
      what you said..and made some quite radical changes.

      Right - I'm off to devon, to fly my kite.

      Simon

      ------------------------------------
      Simon Waldman
      mail: waldo@...
      blog: http://www.simonwaldman.co.uk
      ------------------------------------
    • Mo Morgan
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 10, 2003
        simonwaldman wrote:
        > I'd be shocked, stunned and amazed - not to mention slightly
        > disappointed - if you don't find fault with some of what we're
        > proposing.

        Well, I hate to shock, stun, amaze and disappoint you (such pleonasm
        seems appropriate as we're discussing the Guardian), but...

        I've become generally against all things Guardian and all things Weblog
        Awards but I have to admit that, given the information you've presented,
        this seems to me like a marked improvement. Apparently much closer to
        what the Guardian said they were trying to acheive last year, i.e. the
        promotion of UK weblogs.

        Unless you guys turn around next week and announce something truly
        frightening (and I mean Anita Roddick frightening), I'm probably going
        to be able to let this one pass by with only the quietest of
        self-directed grumbling.

        Although it may appear that I've just taken three cheap shots at your
        paper three times in as many paragraphs, what I actually mean is: well
        done. I'm actually quite looking forward to seeing the full details.

        MM