BJC 2011 proposals and Vote

  • Mini Mansell
    Message 1 of 13 , May 7, 2010
      hi.

      As you may be aware there is no site yet in place for BJC 2011.

      there are 2 teams that are proposing to bid for it though.

      this is an email to ask that you check your inbox on May 12th.

      on that date there will be a 2nd email from us giving a domain name.

      at that domain there will be proposals from both the interested teams and a
      means of voting for either (or neither) proposal.

      we request that you also use the forum on the site to ask questions of the
      proposing teams.

      Its also requested that you read both proposals and vote for the best,
      although its tempting please try to avoid just voting for your friends,
      or which ever is closest to you. pick the one that really could be the
      best BJC.

      MIni (on behalf of the 2 teams)

      Message 2 of 13 , May 9, 2010
        Hi folks

        I just got a strange hankering to have a gander at rec.juggling, only to
        discover my ISP is crap and doesn't have a news server

        can anyone recommend a free publicly available news server that carries
        rec.juggling

        ta

        www.loadeddice.co.uk
      • Jay
        Message 3 of 13 , May 9, 2010
          --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, Glyn Hanton <glyn@...> wrote:

          > Hi folks
          >
          > I just got a strange hankering to have a gander at rec.juggling, only to
          > discover my ISP is crap and doesn't have a news server
          >
          > can anyone recommend a free publicly available news server that carries
          > rec.juggling

          Eternal September is the magick you seek, grasshopper - http://www.eternal-september.org/ - for a free service you definitely get more than your money's worth. I've been using it for a few months or a year now, and apart from one or two brief outages I'm very pleased.

          HTH.

          --
          Jay
          Message 4 of 13 , May 9, 2010
            cheers Jay

            I think that will be perfect if I can work out how to get thunderbird to
            authenticate a partially open server ..... or if I just give in and get
            a decent news client

            ho hum

            On 09/05/2010 18:10, Jay wrote:

            > --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, Glyn Hanton<glyn@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hi folks
            >>
            >> I just got a strange hankering to have a gander at rec.juggling, only to
            >> discover my ISP is crap and doesn't have a news server
            >>
            >> can anyone recommend a free publicly available news server that carries
            >> rec.juggling
            >>
            > Eternal September is the magick you seek, grasshopper - http://www.eternal-september.org/ - for a free service you definitely get more than your money's worth. I've been using it for a few months or a year now, and apart from one or two brief outages I'm very pleased.
            >
            > HTH.

            www.loadeddice.co.uk

          • Dave Cheetham
            Message 5 of 13 , May 9, 2010
              Hi, Glyn.

              Thunderbird can definitely do it - I had the same issue a few months
              back. If I remember correctly, the trick was in checking the box for
              "Always request authentication when connecting to the server". I
              think it was in Tools->Account Settings->Usenet->Server Settings.

              HTH.

              Dave
            • Richard Loxley
              Message 6 of 13 , May 10, 2010
                If you don't mind reading it on the web, there is a nice rec.juggling
                gateway at the IJDB: http://www.jugglingdb.com/news/

                - Richard

                Message 7 of 13 , May 10, 2010
                  Cheers Dave,

                  my current understanding, is that thunderbird 2 could do it, but that
                  they've broken thunderbird 3 a bit

                  If you've sussed it on thunderbird 3 can you let me know that's it worth
                  carrying on trying - off line or on here, but we prob shouldn't be
                  filling this up with tech support stuff no one else is interested in.

                  Richard - thanks, I was aware of that. Prob doesn't hurt to give the
                  juggling db a plug, but I was looking for something I could sit back and
                  view rec.juggling with in the comfort of my own news client, so
                  currently looking for a news server, and not a web interface.

                  cheers for everyones responses

                  On 09/05/2010 22:24, Dave Cheetham wrote:
                  > Hi, Glyn.
                  >
                  > Thunderbird can definitely do it - I had the same issue a few months
                  > back. If I remember correctly, the trick was in checking the box for
                  > "Always request authentication when connecting to the server". I
                  > think it was in Tools->Account Settings->Usenet->Server Settings.
                  >
                  > HTH.
                  >
                  > Dave

                  www.loadeddice.co.uk
                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 10, 2010
                    On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 14:43 +0100, Glyn Hanton wrote:

                    > Richard - thanks, I was aware of that. Prob doesn't hurt to give the
                    > juggling db a plug, but I was looking for something I could sit back
                    > and
                    > view rec.juggling with in the comfort of my own news client, so
                    > currently looking for a news server, and not a web interface.

                    I'd second that, and your post prompted me to see if the Virgin news
                    server works any better than the old NTL one which sucked big time. To
                    my amazement I can now get rec.juggling in the comfort of my own mail
                    client (evolution) :-)

                  • Dave Cheetham
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 10, 2010
                      Well, it seems that there's at least a bit of interest, so I'll
                      continue this here for the moment.

                      Glyn - my comments were based around Thunderbird 3, so that menu
                      structure should work for you.

                      Anyone else - I wrote a post to rec back in December about setting up
                      rec in a dedicated newsreader, and synching it across computers
                      (though it doesn't apply any more since work changed their IT policy
                      back in Feb).

                      You can read it at:

                      http://groups.google.com/group/rec.juggling/browse_thread/thread/709c6f6e692ba2a5/672eec0c1943b440?lnk=gst&q=thunderbird+cheetham#672eec0c1943b440

                      or

                      http://www.jugglingdb.com/news/thread.php?group=1&id=230754

                      Cheers,
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 12, 2010
                        Hi Mini,

                        when is final voting going to be counted for this - can't see that
                        written anywhere, and it looks like a lot of people have asked some
                        quite valid questions that still remain unanswered.

                        cheers,

                        On 07/05/2010 14:33, Mini Mansell wrote:
                        > hi.
                        >
                        > As you may be aware there is no site yet in place for BJC 2011.
                        >
                        > there are 2 teams that are proposing to bid for it though.
                        >
                        > this is an email to ask that you check your inbox on May 12th.

                        www.loadeddice.co.uk
                      • tlmbvoid
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 13, 2010
                          --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, Glyn Hanton <glyn@...> wrote:
                          > Hi Mini,
                          >
                          > when is final voting going to be counted for this - can't see that
                          > written anywhere,....

                          Apart from on
                          http://www.thebritishjugglingconvention.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10 , where it says "Poll runs till Sun May 16, 2010 11:48 pm"?

                          Void

                          --
                          TLMB tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees : 18 designs
                        • Concrete Circus
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 13, 2010
                            Come on now Void, are you expecting Glyn to read?

                            Nigel

                            thinking he's heading North not South next Easter

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 13, 2010
                              On 13/05/2010 13:27, Concrete Circus wrote:
                              > Come on now Void, are you expecting Glyn to read?

                              Is there no such thing as professional pride in the jesting trade these
                              days.

                              Make an effort man.

                              p.s. cheers void.

                              www.loadeddice.co.uk