Mouthing Off.

  • jonathan the jester
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2010
      Further to Plumsies email I would like to add a word of caution to anybody bad mouthing anything:

      Anybody who goes to the enourmous lengths of organising a festival deserves support, constructive criticism directly to themselves and far better than a stupid whispering campaign.

      If you in any way profess yourself to be a professional, semi professional or any kind of authority, you have a legal obligation to be very careful when you talk about anything that may be within your feild of expertise.

      So for jugglers, it would be assumed that you KNOW what you are talking about when you talk about festivals, other acts, equipment etc.

      So while you are entitled to your opinion, you are no longer entitled to dismiss anything as "Crap." You have to be able to justify anything you say and substantiate any verbal evidence you may give.

      Perpetuating hearsay is actually a crime in these circumstances and you can be sued. Using caviats such as "allegedly" or "I heard" will not be an acceptable defence.

      Dissing somebody elses act, goods or services, or misquoting negative feedback is unadviseable.

      Saying things publicly through a forum such as this is actually far more forgiveable than than a whispering campaign started privately. This gives people a chance to correct misonceptions and defend themselve.

      There is an old saying. If you can't say anything nice, say nothing.

      I am a somewhat reformed, but very experienced troll and wind up artist and these are issues that have been explored on many occassions...

      Anybody who goes to the enourmous lengths of organising a festival deserves support, constructive criticism directly to themselves and far better than a stupid whispering campaign.

      Jonathan the Jester

      Outspoken Opinionated Git!

    • Andy
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2010
        Hi everyone,

        I don't usually mail this group, but I'd like to comment on Lestival.

        I've been to hundreds of conventions in the past 16 or so years (ok, a
        little sad I know) some of them didn't appeal to me and I've not gone back.
        I've been to Lestival both times. I'll be going again this year. I could
        mention many things I find great about it, but the best opinion you'll get
        is your own. Go and experience it yourself.

        Hopefully see you there.

        Andy.

        P.S. I don't live near Leicester, I have nothing to do with the organisation
        and I think Plumsie smells. Nevertheless, I'm still going.

        _____