Re: [uk_jugglers] Re: Bobby Roberts circus

  • jonathan the jester
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 7, 2009
      I'm not a vet. But I am an animal lover, I have kept many pets over the years and I know a lot of "horsey" people.

      Animals in a domesticated or working environment are very sensitive to their environments. They are emotional, heirarchical family creatures that get used to their environment. Moving an animal from it's family is a distressing and disturbing thing to do. Animals regard humans as part of their family under these conditions.

      Sticking an old animal in a sanctuary is actually a polite way of getting rid of an animal that has served it's purpose. Of course it's better than making glue out of them, but it is still quite cruel.

      Keeping a pet and keeping a working animal are not a million miles apart. It would be far easier for Roberts Circus to have the elephant put to sleep or put to pasture to keep critics off their back. But instead I think they are genuinely fond of their elephant and are looking after it and I expect it is happier with them than suddenly finding itself in a field with a strange goat and a horse for company.

      Yes a certain bitch called Chipperfield was a monster to her animals but that doesn't mean all circus animals are beaten.

      Animal welfare is an issue. Banning animals from circus's is not in my opinion the best way of looking after them. However, the guilty bastards that mistreat animals should be banned from keeping animals. Farms are far worse than circuses.

      However, this debate should rage on and animal husbandes should be challenged.