Re: [uk_jugglers] Where do you buy?

    Message 1 of 20 , May 8 1:56 AM
      mitchell chapman wrote:
      > Hi James
      >
      > Personally I buy from Oddballs (Camden) and Firetoys. The reason being that I also sell 100% natural balls to them and so have good relations with them. Both are very friendly and very helpful and I would recommend them to anyone.
      >
      > Buster

      - Butterfingers for mail order
      - Various suppliers at conventions including Beard for basic clubs and
      Henrys for proper ones
      - Never PassePasse because their stuff is often badly copied from other
      suppliers and of low quality

      Charlie

      > ________________________________

    • Paul Seward
      Message 2 of 20 , May 8 2:08 AM
        --On Thursday, May 07, 2009 20:25:17 +0000 james.spencer@... wrote:

        > Greetings. I am new here. I'm James.

        Welcome!

        > And I wondered where you all buy equipment from?

        I don't really favour any one vendor, as I haven't yet found one who
        stock everything I ever want. Sure they all sell clubs, but they don't
        all sell Henrys Albatross. Sure they all sell balls, but they don't
        all stock Babache stage balls.

        So, my first choice is determined by what I want to buy, and who can
        actually supply it to me.

        For example, if I want to juggle Renegade 95 clubs, I only really have
        one choice as Renegade tend not to sell through distributors.

        > It seems to me there are
        > many retailers either online or on the highstreet, who offer equipment at
        > about the same price within a few pennies of each other. So what makes
        > you buy from one over another?

        If two retailers are selling the same equipment at the same price -
        I think it largely comes down to customer service, how helpful and
        knowledgeable they are when I contact them with a query, and how easy
        it is to get in touch with a human in the first place.

        I'm a bit old fashioned, but I like being able to phone up a supplier
        if I can't walk into their shop, or approach their stall at a convention
        it's so much quicker and easier than email! You can sort out in 5
        minutes what would take days of back-and-forth over email - even if I
        end up ordering through their website.

        I do also like bricks-and-mortar juggling shops, and if you've got one
        local to you I'd really like to encourage you to support them.

        We've got a new juggling shop in Bristol (oddly enough, they're in
        the premises next door to where Freaks Unlimited used to be!) If I
        was in the market for some juggling equipment, I would certainly pop
        in there to see if they stock (or can get) what I'm looking for.

        If you want me to name names, Butterfingers, Jesters, Oddballs and
        Anti Gravity all score massive points in my book. Beard also have
        their customer service pretty much sorted (I just don't like their kit!)

        -Paul
      • Pemberton, Brian
        Message 3 of 20 , May 8 2:27 AM

          Bricks-and-mortar juggling? Wow, that's hardcore! ;o)

          *runs away*
        • james.spencer@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 20 , May 8 5:15 AM
            --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "Pemberton, Brian" <daily.grind@...> wrote:

> [...]

            lol

            The local bricks and mortar to me is Butterfingers 5 mins from work :D

            It often puzzled me why people pick one over another especially when shopping online with everyone offering pretty much the same price.
          • jonathan the jester
            Message 5 of 20 , May 8 1:22 PM
              www.circuskit.co.uk is my prefered supplier.

              Message 6 of 20 , May 8 1:45 PM
                I tend to buy from Beard but I have a very good relatinoship with the owners and have previously worked for them so am somewhat biased.

                They are always happy to get me anything that I would normally have to get from an alternative supplier.

                Plumsie.
                www.juggler.net/lestival

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 20 , May 11 7:27 AM
                  The reason people buy from one and not the other is to do with relationships.

                  I have a very happy relationship with Butterfingers so I they are always my first choice for wholesale buying. They put effort into the service they offer, have time for me and I enjoy dealing with them.

                  We have other wholesalers who sell different things and we like them.

                  Our retail customers like the personal service we offer and we offer fair and sensible advice to our customers. We order in specially and we sell what the customer wants to buy rather than what we want to sell.

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 11 8:10 AM
                    jonathan the jester wrote:
                    > www.circuskit.co.uk is my prefered supplier.

                    I bet you've never ever bought anything from them though have you ....

                    www.loadeddice.co.uk
                  • John Caudrey
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 11 8:49 AM
                      Personally, I've always been wary of buying equipment from a shop who can't spell diabolo!

                      Cheers

                      John ; )

                      www.largerthanlifeuk.com

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 12 2:34 AM
                        Interesting John because the most common spelling of it is actually the historicly incorrect. It can be spelt 2 ways and we get LOTS of emails protesting that either way is correct, wrong and there is even a third way...

                        However, I admire your pedantry as I indulge in much of that myself.....

                        Heh Heh! Oooops, I can see another passionate debate coming on this group...

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 12 2:35 AM
                          Er actually... Yes I have. Ltd Companies aren't the same as sole traders. I can be prosecuted for stealing from the company as there is more than one shareholder....

                          I am their biggest customer.

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 12 6:53 AM
                            Hi Jonathan

                            I still beg to differ (pedant key firmly held down)!

                            Where exactly can I find a reference to the spelling 'diabolo' being historically incorrect.
                            I was always under the assumption the the word 'diabolo' was derived from the Greek 'dia bolo', meaning 'to throw across', 'across throw').

                            I currently can't find 'Diablos'(spelling) on any suppliers websites/artistes websites other than your own.

                            And although I never completely trust much I read on it. Wikipedia pretty much describes it correctly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabolo

                            I'd love to know the third spelling!

                            Cheers

                            John

                            --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "jonathan the jester" <j.jester@...> wrote:

                            > Interesting John because the most common spelling of it is actually the historicly incorrect. It can be spelt 2 ways and we get LOTS of emails protesting that either way is correct, wrong and there is even a third way...
                            >
                            > However, I admire your pedantry as I indulge in much of that myself.....
                            >
                            > Heh Heh! Oooops, I can see another passionate debate coming on this group...

                          • Peachi - Pete
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 12 7:36 AM
                              I always liked to call Diabolos according to what I thought Steve Chaos
                              called them i.e. TREBOBLAs

                              I think its almost onomatopoeic...

                              However I found out at last Bristol that perhaps he actually calls them:
                              CHEBOBLAs

                              Which I dont like as much but may be more accurate. So I'm not sure which is
                              historically correct now ;)

                              Cheese, Peachi
                              I think nit-picker is more correct than pedant anyway ;)

                              wrote:

                              > Interesting John because the most common spelling of it is actually the
                              historicly incorrect. It can be spelt 2 ways and we get LOTS of emails
                              protesting that either way is correct, wrong and there is even a third
                              way...

                              > However, I admire your pedantry as I indulge in much of that myself.....
                              >
                              > Heh Heh! Oooops, I can see another passionate debate coming on this
                              group...

                            • Jay Linn
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 12 1:50 PM
                                --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "John Caudrey" <john_caudrey@...> wrote:

                                <snip>

                                > And although I never completely trust much I read on it. Wikipedia > pretty much describes it correctly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
                                > Diabolo

                                Indeed it does, and I'm the person who wrote the bit about the provenance of the word. Although the attribution has since been removed, I can tell you I took my information from the '54 edition of the Encyclopaedia Brittanica.

                                LP, what does OED online say about diablo vs. diabolo?

                                HTH.

                                --
                                Jay Linn
                              • jonathan the jester
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 12 1:53 PM
                                  I encourage you to differ.

                                  (Bullshit key held firmly down!).
                                  I didn't say third spelling, I said a third way, like Tony Blairs "3rd Way." If you compromise and don't actually remove the 1st "o" in diabolo but cut it in half, removing the top you get a "u"

                                  Therefore the third way is "diabulo".

                                  Thus endeth the lecture.

                                  I have registered "diabulo" as a trade mark in 17 Baltic Countries.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 12 2:03 PM
                                    Yea, but if you follow that line of reasoning where will it end?
                                    Coming soon:- the diabnlu, diabnln, diabulu, diabclc, diabclu,
                                    diabcln, diabulc, diabnlc, diabolc, diabolu, diaboln, diabnlo and
                                    diabclo.

                                    I haven't registered these as trademarks anywhere. I might have time
                                    to clag your inboxes with this garbage, but I do have some sort of a
                                    life y'know...

                                    N.

                                  • Jay Linn
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 12 2:08 PM
                                      --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Linn" <Jay@...> wrote:

                                      > ... Although the attribution has since been removed, I can tell you > I took my information from the '54 edition of the Encyclopaedia
                                      > Brittanica.

                                      Doh! The attribution is right there. Wood. Trees. You know the rest.

                                      --
                                      Jay Linn
                                    • jonathan the jester
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 13 6:17 AM
                                        mispelling could be a "dire blow" for "diabolo."

                                        GEDDIT! (embarrassing laugh at own joke) Do you geddit guvnor!?