Re: [uk_jugglers] Hula,

    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2009
      Hi Folks

      I've been asked if I might consider adding some hula hoops to my
      workshop kit. Being an obliging kind of guy I figured why not, except,
      all I seem to be able to find is lightweight toys, at £20 for ten, or
      weighted hoops for approaching £20 quid each.

      Now it strikes me that a weighted bit of tube, formed into a circle
      shouldn't really cost more than a few quid ... so what am I missing here
      .... is bending tube into circles more complex than I thought, or am I
      just looking in all the wrong places ?

      cheers for any assistance

      www.loadeddice.co.uk
    • Annette Gliwa
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2009
        Hi glyn
        just go for it.
        I would get the slightly lighter blue water pipe from plumbing. I think 20 meters are 20 pounds by B&Q (or something like that ) get about 6  hulas out of that.  For the connection I only use wood dowling. Just cut pices of about 5cm and glue them into place with glue gun. And the tape I use comes from identity tape.
        Easy and relatively cheap!
        the toy childrens ones are really quite hard to learn with.
        best regards
        Annette

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2009
          I’ve had hula’s in the workshop kit for a while and they are brilliant
          ..
          I’ve tried allsorts of types and have bought a number of the water/ gas
          type in the past , I’m sure as Annette says that the pipe ones and
          grippy tape are the way to go to teach them …. But ….. if I put 15 hoops
          out , 3 will be broken by the time I get them back and either they will
          be the cheap n nasty Tesco, Asda type OR the specially made gas/ water
          pipe with posh grippy tape, ( don’t know why , but the kids break them
          easy, and fixing the posh pipe ones is difficult because of the tape )
          also if they are going to nick em’ it’s always the expensive pipe ones.
          ( Yep we work in some tidy areas at times :-) )
          So which ones last? …….Toy “R” Us hula hoops, I buy the plain , self
          coloured round, unweighted / unfilled type, they cost £3.99 and last and
          last and last , they are not so posh the kids want to take them home and
          the weight is good, you can also get a nice range of sizes to suit even
          tiny kids
          I can’t hula as Annette will testify :-) but there is always one child
          who can , so I use them to demonstrate and explain the technique to
          those who can’t , then do “ The World Hula Hoop Record Attempt! “ and
          just add progressively more and more hula hoops to the demonstrator …
          watching out for their backs etc of course , the visual effect is
          stunning even if they only manage to get a couple going, how many they
          do is then the new World record and it then drives the others into a
          feeding frenzy trying to beat it ….. . If you use the gas/ water type
          they are too heavy for multiples.
          The record for a seven year old is 13 hoops …….. she was a bit tired
          at the end though ;_ )

          Regards
          Peter

          Pete Gamble
          Pick "N" Mix Circus
          Pete@...
          "May all your days be Circus days!"
          www.pick-n-mix.co.uk

          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2009
            Some additions to that
            to make multiple hooping even easier you can use one or two heavy hoops at the bottom as a base and then all the rest are the really light ones. tell the kid to only concentrate on the bottom ones and not to worry about the light ones.
            I take normaly a selection of pipe and toy ones, as some things hurt to much with the heavy ones anyway.
            About breaking: didn't really have much problem with that so far. The tape I use is not anything fancy so it doesn't get to tempting to take it home (just one colour and by now pretty used ) and I use just black gaffa tape around the conection bit so it is easy to reasamble incase it comes loose.
            :)
            x Annette

            Pete@pick-n- mix.co.uk