RE: [uk_jugglers] Off Topic MP3 players

  • Daniel J. Mitchell
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2009
      >looking for some advice on mp3 players, what do you have and would
      >you recommend it or tell me to steer well clear? All i want is to
      >play music, and perhaps some audio books
      >probably seems like an odd request, but i trust jugglers more than a
      >website

      Recommended: Sandisk Sansa Clip -- it's small but still usable, the
      clip is occasionally handy, 15 hour battery life, it has a display
      (-vs- ipod shuffle), the sound is okay (to me, at least), good
      support for audio formats (mp3/wma/ogg), and Sandisk are good about
      customer support and updating the firmware.

      It works well with audiobooks, I've listened to a bunch of them on
      there, and it has the 'listen at high speed' feature if you want to
      get through books faster.

      There's other cheaper ones from places like dealextreme.com or other
      no-name stuff, but the quality on those is pretty awful and battery
      life tends to be small; the Clip is cheap enough to be affordable but
      not so cheap that it's rubbish.

      -- dan
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3 7:00 AM
        Hi Folks

        I've been asked if I might consider adding some hula hoops to my
        workshop kit. Being an obliging kind of guy I figured why not, except,
        all I seem to be able to find is lightweight toys, at £20 for ten, or
        weighted hoops for approaching £20 quid each.

        Now it strikes me that a weighted bit of tube, formed into a circle
        shouldn't really cost more than a few quid ... so what am I missing here
        .... is bending tube into circles more complex than I thought, or am I
        just looking in all the wrong places ?

        cheers for any assistance

        www.loadeddice.co.uk
      • Annette Gliwa
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3 10:44 AM
          Hi glyn
          just go for it.
          I would get the slightly lighter blue water pipe from plumbing. I think 20 meters are 20 pounds by B&Q (or something like that ) get about 6  hulas out of that.  For the connection I only use wood dowling. Just cut pices of about 5cm and glue them into place with glue gun. And the tape I use comes from identity tape.
          Easy and relatively cheap!
          the toy childrens ones are really quite hard to learn with.
          best regards
          Annette

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , May 3 2:38 PM
            I’ve had hula’s in the workshop kit for a while and they are brilliant
            ..
            I’ve tried allsorts of types and have bought a number of the water/ gas
            type in the past , I’m sure as Annette says that the pipe ones and
            grippy tape are the way to go to teach them …. But ….. if I put 15 hoops
            out , 3 will be broken by the time I get them back and either they will
            be the cheap n nasty Tesco, Asda type OR the specially made gas/ water
            pipe with posh grippy tape, ( don’t know why , but the kids break them
            easy, and fixing the posh pipe ones is difficult because of the tape )
            also if they are going to nick em’ it’s always the expensive pipe ones.
            ( Yep we work in some tidy areas at times :-) )
            So which ones last? …….Toy “R” Us hula hoops, I buy the plain , self
            coloured round, unweighted / unfilled type, they cost £3.99 and last and
            last and last , they are not so posh the kids want to take them home and
            the weight is good, you can also get a nice range of sizes to suit even
            tiny kids
            I can’t hula as Annette will testify :-) but there is always one child
            who can , so I use them to demonstrate and explain the technique to
            those who can’t , then do “ The World Hula Hoop Record Attempt! “ and
            just add progressively more and more hula hoops to the demonstrator …
            watching out for their backs etc of course , the visual effect is
            stunning even if they only manage to get a couple going, how many they
            do is then the new World record and it then drives the others into a
            feeding frenzy trying to beat it ….. . If you use the gas/ water type
            they are too heavy for multiples.
            The record for a seven year old is 13 hoops …….. she was a bit tired
            at the end though ;_ )

            Regards
            Peter

            Pete Gamble
            Pick "N" Mix Circus
            Pete@...
            "May all your days be Circus days!"
            www.pick-n-mix.co.uk

            Message 5 of 7 , May 4 6:12 AM
              Some additions to that
              to make multiple hooping even easier you can use one or two heavy hoops at the bottom as a base and then all the rest are the really light ones. tell the kid to only concentrate on the bottom ones and not to worry about the light ones.
              I take normaly a selection of pipe and toy ones, as some things hurt to much with the heavy ones anyway.
              About breaking: didn't really have much problem with that so far. The tape I use is not anything fancy so it doesn't get to tempting to take it home (just one colour and by now pretty used ) and I use just black gaffa tape around the conection bit so it is easy to reasamble incase it comes loose.
              :)
              x Annette

              Pete@pick-n- mix.co.uk