AB

  • ronlutkin
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2009
      yes good idea but we must have sir mini (my way or no way)mansell to
      run it. well its juat an idea !! come on mini shoot me down in flames
    • robfirey
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2009
        Warning of Tax Clampdown on Travel Expenses

        From thestage.co. uk

        Entertainers claiming back work-related travel expenses are facing a
        crackdown by tax inspectors, a leading accountant has warned.

        Dave Williams, a tax partner for chartered accountants Francis Clark,
        said that he had seen a 12-fold rise in the number of claims by
        self-employed people being challenged by HM Revenue and Customs over
        the last year.

        He also said his firm, which runs a tax consultancy for accountants
        across the UK, had received an increasing number of enquiries from
        other firms experiencing similar problems.

        Under law, full-time employees of a company cannot claim expenses on
        the cost of travelling from home to work. However, self-employed
        ‘itinerant’ workers – such as an actor appearing on tour, or an
        entertainer performing gigs across the country – are eligible for such
        tax relief.

        However, Williams believes that the HMRC has become more stringent in
        the way that it interprets what an itinerant worker is – for example
        querying claims from self-employed people contracted on a longer-term
        basis, such as for a regular television show.

        He explained: “The law itself hasn’t changed. But everyone always
        assumed that for self-employed people there was no problem [in claiming
        back travel expenses], particularly for those in the entertainment
        industry.

        “The basic law has been in existence for years, and it is something
        that the revenue and the accounting profession really overlooked and
        said if someone is self-employed then any travel expenses are going to
        be allowable.”

        He warned that, at worst, any query by the HMRC against a claim could
        see performers lose out on a retrospective six year’s worth of expenses
        – for one client this had amounted to a bill of nearly £20,000.
        Williams added: “Every so often, the HMRC decides to close these little
        loopholes, and all of a sudden starts to investigate things which
        previously they allowed to happen. They have got the need for more
        money now that they are pumping in money into the banking system, and
        they’ve got to generate more money from somewhere.

        “It’s a case of getting through to clients that what has been allowed to go on in the past isn’t being tolerated anymore.”

        An HMRC spokesman insisted it was not cracking down on travel expenses.

        He added: “It is important to realise that only expenses ‘wholly,
        exclusively and necessarily incurred’ in running the business will be
        allowable as expenses under HMRC guidelines…the legislation disallows
        any expenditure not incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of
        the trade, profession or vocation.

      • Mini Mansell
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2009
          Bah,

          Ron, if it was my way or the highway, you would not be able to have made
          what I just read as a personal attack.

          This whole group is mine, I have the ability to block, moderate, ban or
          allow any user at any time.

          I chose to never do so. I allowed what just read as an attack on myself.

          Come and see me at a convention, or even email me. But please. Don't
          attack again.

          Mini

          yes good idea but we must have sir mini (my way or no way)mansell to
          run it. well its juat an idea !! come on mini shoot me down in flames

        • ron lutlin

            yes good idea but we must have sir mini (my way or no way)mansell to
            run it. well its juat an idea !! come on mini shoot me down in flames

          • jonathan the jester
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
              I was once in a band. I was 16 years of age. They used MY PA.

              Once, during a disagreement, I reminded them that it was MY PA.

              They then spent the bands hard earned savings on a new PA so that I could never do that again.

              I apologised and they very decently didn't actually kick me out of the band...

              Mini, you started this group but don't threaten to censor it or throw your toys out of the pram.