snakeboarding in circus workshops

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
      Anybody ever taught snakeboarding in circus workshops?

      Could be an idea for the older lads.

    • guyheathcote
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
        --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rowe" <circuskevin@...> wrote:

        > Anybody ever taught snakeboarding in circus workshops?
        >
        > Could be an idea for the older lads.

        Can I ask why, exactly, you'd want to be doing this? Snakeboarding,
        by itself, is no more of a circus skill than skateboarding, roller
        blading or riding a pogo stick. I can't imagine that you're
        considering teaching those, so why do you consider snakeboarding in
        isolation? The fact that snakeboards aren't even manufactured any
        more (at least, in there original form) makes me wonder even more.

        Whilst it's true that a number of jugglers still bring snakeboards to
        conventions, I think the reason that this started has somehow got lost
        along the way. As far as I remember, I was the first UK juggler to
        bring a snakeboard to a convention. I'd obtained an early imported
        model from a South African worker in a local toy shop (Snakeboards
        were South African in origin) before they were formally released in
        the UK. Right away, I'd figured that it would be ideal for a
        low-budget version of the rotating club passing patterns done by the
        Russian Afanasjews troup. Soon enough, others at our Southampton club
        purchased them too and so we gave it a go. As it turned out, our
        passing skills, ambition and general resolve weren't really strong
        enough, so we never really got past the 'messing about' stage.
        However, I remember that a group from Scotland did put some proper
        work into it and I'm sure I remember seeing them perform it at least
        once. So, bascially, when it started out (in the juggling scene...),
        snakeboards were for juggling on.

        Obviously, a lot of time has passed since then. I forget when I last
        saw anyone actually juggling on a snakeboard, let alone attempting
        rotating passing patterns. Instead, it seems that whizzing round
        convention halls has taken over. This might be fun, but I'm not sure
        that that really qualifies it as a circus skill.

        Oh, and back to the subject. What eventually happened at our
        Southampton club was that a number of 'older lads' also got
        snakeboards and got really into it, completely giving up on the
        juggling and turning our hall into a skatepark, jumping on and off
        anything that looked vaguely solid. As you might imagine, we soon got
        complaints from the hall caretaker, as well as from people who
        actually wanted to juggle, but were feeling uncomfortable/unsafe
        around the increasingly chaotic skating. In the end, we had to put a
        stop to it. Not sure if that would happen at your workshop, but it's
        worth keeping in mind.

        Guy
      • Danny Colyer
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
          On 02/08/2008 22:41, guyheathcote wrote:
          > I forget when I last
          > saw anyone actually juggling on a snakeboard,

          Last time I saw it was at POTP, 2 months ago. Also juggling on a Ripstick.

          > let alone attempting rotating passing patterns.

          Don't think I've ever seen that, though.

          > Instead, it seems that whizzing round
          > convention halls has taken over. This might be fun...

          Well, that's what I go to conventions for :-)

          I'd say that, like poi, ride-on toys should be reserved for when the
          hall is quiet, though.

          --
          Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
          <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=672669079>
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2008
            On 02/08/2008 22:41, guyheathcote wrote:
            > I forget when I last
            > saw anyone actually juggling on a snakeboard,

            Last time I saw it was at POTP, 2 months ago. Also juggling on a Ripstick.

            > let alone attempting rotating passing patterns.

            Don't think I've ever seen that, though.

            > Instead, it seems that whizzing round
            > convention halls has taken over. This might be fun...

            Well, that's what I go to conventions for :-)

            I'd say that, like poi, ride-on toys should be reserved for when the
            hall is quiet, though.

            Especially those one wheeled thigs :-)

            Dave

            Crawley Convention 15th - 17th Aug www.circuswurx.co.uk for details

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2008
              Hi Guy,

              Thanks for the history lesson.

              The circus workshops I'm talking about are at schools, youth groups etc. Not a ten ball juggler in sight.

              The main point behind doing workshops for young people is to get them doing something. 3 ball juggling isn't the easiest thing to motivate everyone.

              I'm considering snakeboarding due to the fact they start off standing still - and it takes a while to make any progress. Hence to start with it seems a lot safer than your other suggestions.

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2008
                Dear Kevin.

                I use a snakeboard where space permits. However, I provide helmet, elbow and knee pads.

                I find it is very popular especially as they are very rare nowadays. I can only just do it myself, but it really impress a lot of youngsters. It is brilliant for days where you might have the same kids hangin around for a long period of time.

                Does anybody know where to buy them?

                The circus workshops I'm talking about are at schools, youth groups etc. Not a ten ball juggler in sight.

                The main point behind doing workshops for young people is to get them doing something. 3 ball juggling isn't the easiest thing to motivate everyone.

                I'm considering snakeboarding due to the fact they start off standing still - and it takes a while to make any progress. Hence to start with it seems a lot safer than your other suggestions.

              • Richard Loxley
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2008
                  I bought mine back in 2000, and the only place in the UK
                  which still had stock was: http://www.theskateshop.co.uk/

                  They certainly still had accessories a year or two later,
                  so it's worth giving them a call.

                  Or there are numerous ones on ebay.

                  There also seems to be the next generation board: the
                  Streetboard, which seems to be the same concept, but looking
                  more like a skateboard. A search on google turns up loads
                  of these for sale in the UK.

                  - Richard

                  On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:15:44 +0100, "Jonathan the Jester"
                  <j.jester@...> wrote:

                  > I use a snakeboard where space permits. However, I provide helmet, elbow
                  > and knee pads.
                  >
                  > I find it is very popular especially as they are very rare nowadays. I
                  > can only just do it myself, but it really impress a lot of youngsters.
                  It
                  > is brilliant for days where you might have the same kids hangin around
                  for
                  > a long period of time.
                  >
                  > Does anybody know where to buy them?
                • dave booth
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2008
                    there are 7 listed on ebay.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2008
                      The streetboard is something else again... and it is wonderful..

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 3, 2008
                        Those one wheeled things are ridiculous. You'd never catch me riding one... You'd see me, chase me, get hit by my, but never actually catch me..