Re: [uk_jugglers] Re: bjc evaluation

  • Kester the Jester
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
      Mini,

      Whilst not wishing to get involved in the personal politics involved in this BJC, I and I'm sure other potential organisers of forthcoming BJCs would like to know if there is any substance in what Tim says. In particular has a funding source been jeopardised by BJC08? £20K is a lot of money to lose for events due to bickering.

      Nigel
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
        On 31/03/2008, Paul Seward <paul.seward@...> wrote:

        > Seriously guys, sort it out amongst yourselves, off list.

        Well said. And to add to that, please remember that posting stuff on
        the internet means it's there for all to read, and it's very easy to
        search for later. There are things in this thread that are
        potentially harmful for future events and funding. None of us want
        that.

        Dave
      • Peachi - Pete
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
          I think the text below is exactly what Tim is talking about Mini. You're
          great Mini, but cant bully people like that.
          Tim has a right to air his thoughts and look for feedback. Its not up to you
          to let him or not. Particualrly as he is focusig on an area that is
          important to him and the Bjc.
          I think if we keep it constructive then it may be helpful.
          I agree with Rob that an independent chair will be more appropriate next
          time at the meeting. It does serve more of a purpose then Mini made out.

          Basically though, I think the convention went really well. Well done Liz
          and all ;)
          I hope we can take some lessons on to improve future years.

          Cheese, Peachi

> [...]

          > > > orgs beforehand and quickly run through.
          > > >
          > > > Having the mtg after such a great show was inspired BTW.
          > > >

          > > > ACTION POINT:
          > > > Decide an agenda and appoint an independednt chair well in
          > advance of the
          > > > event

          > deliberately
          > contribute
          > > >
          > > > team membership + internal politics are not going to be served or
          > resolved
          > > > by discussion here !

          > public
          > > > snip
          > > >
          > > > Action Point:
          > > > So we need to make clear to the orgs of the next event *exactly*
          > what the
          > > > terms of any grant are and what the implications are.
          > > >

          > > > Rob.
          > > > --
          > > > Rob Stone. Dept Psychology. University of York. YO10 5DD

        • Mini Mansell
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
            i said i would not post about this. I am saying nothing more on this
            subject at all.

          • Bob Dilworth
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
              Hi

              This forum is about the closest I get to a BJC these days so, like LP,
              would like to hear from people that attended what you thought of it,
              what the show was like, how awful the renegade was etc etc. However for
              the benefit of organisers of future BJC (and other conventions) it is
              also interesting to know a little of what went on behind the scenes and
              if things went wrong, why and how this can be avoided in the future. Yes
              I suppose jugconorg is the place for that.

              I am saddened to see such bitterness shown between jugglers, whatever
              the reason.

              Bob Dilworth

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
                Once again, thanks to the organisers of another successful event.

                As ever, the usual disclaimer : big respect to the people who in their
                time and effort to make such a great event, these are not criticisms,
                merely feedback from a punter who always enjoys this event.

                Positives

                good venue : every venue should have a huge dome on top with flashy
                rainbow lights. Walking into the 'market place' was a really nice
                introduction to this years event, it was beautifully decorated and a
                great space for such a thing.

                good hall : big space, high roof, need more be said.

                cheap beer : inspired :o) OK - I think it was only cheap, because not
                enough use was made of the 'beer tent' and they couldn't sell it, but
                still.

                great band Saturday night

                Every convention, from this date forth, should be right next to a bloody
                great Asda. Genius.

                It was also obvious the amount of effort put in to transforming the hall
                for the show, and the Japanese guy (what was his name?) was stunning.

                Not so positives :

                For gods sake guys, if there was one area where you failed pathetically
                this time round, and I mean pathetically, it was as if no one had made
                the slightest attempt, and quite frankly, I was just shocked, it was in
                the blatant disregard to make any effort whatsoever, in controlling the
                weather.

                more seriously, some walkway, or having a few straw bails handy if the
                camping field is likely to end up with huge lakes of sinking sand would
                be nice. I may be exaggerating a tad, but the point is there, wading
                through mud is rarely a positive shift for peoples spirit.

                As impressive as the transformation of the hall for the show was,
                however much money was saved by not booking an external theatre, and
                buses and 'shipping' us all down to it - it simply wasn't worth it IMO.
                I think closing the main juggling space for an entire day is too much of
                a price to pay. It may have been OK if the weather was good and we could
                hang outside, but it wasn't, and it was march, in Doncaster, so possibly
                predictable. Of course, we were all supposed to be at the parade/games
                at the time, but given the likelihood of the washout, perhaps this needs
                closer attention next time.

                The food situation was a bit limited. I found the 'jugglers bar' to be
                of mediocre quality, and the other bar to be packed and slow. The burger
                van as supplied by the venue was a bit of a disappointment too. Whatever
                happened to having a good hippy 'burger van' about the place. I'm
                probably not the right person to bring this up, but when the food van at
                a juggling convention runs out of veggie food - that's possibly not too
                smart. Fortunately, asda was just over the road, but it's a bit limited
                when you want a hot meal.

                Just an idea

                in a venue where we are so close to the general public, would it be
                possible to open up part of the traders section to the general public,
                possibly with basic workshops - I can see quite a few problems with
                doing this, but just airing an idea.

                Once again, a big thank you to all concerned.

                www.loadeddice.co.uk
              • Jay Linn
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
                  --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Dilworth" <bd@...> wrote:

                  > [...] how awful the renegade was etc etc.

                  Oof. Worms. Can of.

                  I'll be writing summat for r.j at some point, but I thought I'd let
                  my bile ferment for a few days before sharpening my poison pen and
                  opening the green ink.

                  > I am saddened to see such bitterness shown between jugglers,
                  whatever
                  > the reason.

                  Amen to that Bob. At one point I tried very hamfistedly to suggest
                  that a ceasefire might help, but I just ended up looking and feeling
                  a bit of a dick and completely failed to help. Hey ho.

                  --
                  Jay Linn

                  Does not have egg on his face. Yet.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 1, 2008
                    I'm noted for being quite undiplomatic, but Mini, I think you have outdone me...

                    I really didn't want to read this unconstructive, defensive and personal attack. It doesn't deal with any of the issues and is incredibly offensive to somebody who at the very least put a lot of effort into helping make the BJC happen.

                    I can't comment on the goings on or the politics, but I don't think Tim deserved such a cruel and probably inacurate summary of your less than well considered thoughts to be aired in public.

                    I hear such good things about the convention, I often wish I could get there more often and it deserves to be highly regarded. Your paragraph below completely undermines the integrity and the proffessionalism of a great event.

                    I have worked with Tim on a few things in the past and I have known him for many years. I know that he is a sincere and kind man and I have always found him to be particularly competent. Just my experience but I'm sure many people here would agree with me.

                    Jonathan the Jester

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 1, 2008
                      I think this thread should be dropped.

                      I talked to Liz and offered to talk to Tim and arbitrate this matter OFF
                      LIST.

                      Hope thats OK.

                      So please respecfully dont reply anymore.
                      Peachi

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 2, 2008
                        Dear all people called *Paul" or *Seward.*

                        Please don't be aggressively *patronising* on this thread. *Paul* that means you, but Mr Seward, that also means you.

                        Seriously Sir, sort yourself out off list. And kindly refrain from *astrexing* key words. If you aren't man enough to write this out longhand with a quill and actually staple the parchment to my forehead, you shouldn't be on this thread sortin us all out....

                        And if you could all kindly refrain from having passionate opinions about unimportant things like conventions, juggling, and funding I would be very grateful. Why cant we just live and let live and sit around a feild getting nothing done smoking various weeds, proclaiming them to be completely harmless but feeling really smug cos we can keep 6 balls of sterilised seed in the air for minutes at a time.

                        World peace can be acheived if we all simply couldn't be arsed to fight for it.

                        I'm now going to leave my keyboard and strutt around my office with my chest puffed up muttering stuff like "you aint worth it." The video will be on Utube from Friday...