workshops for schools

  • Mini Mansell
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 21, 2007
      looks like theres another splats on the way.

      workshops for schools. based in cheshire.

      they pay 130 a day! for a whole day in a school.

      my advice to anyone who gets a call from them.

      ask for 250! and tell them to stick it if they offer less.

      bloody robbing sods. its a business model that i hate. charge high, pay low.

      "Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things."
      "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen.
      "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day.
      Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
      www.minimansell.com
      www.ukjugglingshop.com

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 21, 2007
        WFS have been around a while now, also trading as "Street Dance
        Workshop Ltd", and their main business is (surprise surprise) street
        dance workshops in schools.

        There is one very important difference between them and the other
        company that Mini mentioned: If you do a job for WFS you'll receive a
        cheque for it 7-10 days later. (Yes, I know, I could've ended that last
        sentence at the "it" and had it still be a valid point...)

        N.

        --------------------------------
        Only 6% of the eligible UK population donate blood.
        What's your excuse?
        http://www.blood.co.uk
      • dave booth
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 22, 2007
          Some people are quite happy with £130.00 per day. multiply it by 5 and you have a sum far and above the national average. after all they have found you the work and remember you dont have to do it.Firms in whatever industry will make lots of money out of others,always have and always will. why should our industry be any different? sad but true..

          ------------ --------- --------- --
          Only 6% of the eligible UK population donate blood.
          What's your excuse?
          http://www.blood co.uk

        • Mini
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 22, 2007
            Your both right i am just soured by my dealings with splat so i should not judge every rip off company the same

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • dave booth
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 22, 2007
              mini,i do know where you are coming from,nobody likes getting ripped off.but how is this for a mark up?my daughter went to her school prom.Dress should of cost£400.00.but my cousin supplies dresses to the shops and said we could have one for the same price she supplies shops for.How much? £67.50. now if she supplies the shops and gets £67.50 what is she buying them in at.? I know its totally off topic but just a ridiculous example of rip off.the mind boggles...good luck anyways....

[...]

              http://uk.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=44106/ *http://mail. yahoo.net/ uk

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
                Did a gig yesterday, there was a girl from Splats. She did exactly what it says on the tin and from the clients point of view it looked very well run.

                I didn't ask what money she was on but splats do an amazing circus bag and a certificate. Splats are the McDonalds of the juggling world. I don't like McDonalds but I can see what the attraction is.

                Splats are still infinately better employers than say Butlins or Haven and pay much better by the sound of things.

                I am not condoning or condemning but please feel free to scream at me if I am wrong.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 28, 2007
                  I did that gig, and she may have done her job, but some of the
                  helpers there didn't like it much, and preferred my workshop. They
                  thought the splats workshop was to easy, and that mine challanged the
                  kids. And they wanted to challange the kids abilities, they were
                  speacial needs kids, and the helpers thought that was good for them.
                  One of them even said it.

                  Pixie

                  www.pixiejester.co.uk

                  --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan the Jester"
                  <j.jester@...> wrote:

                  > Did a gig yesterday, there was a girl from Splats. She did exactly
                  what it says on the tin and from the clients point of view it looked
                  very well run.

                  > I didn't ask what money she was on but splats do an amazing circus
                  bag and a certificate. Splats are the McDonalds of the juggling
                  world. I don't like McDonalds but I can see what the attraction is.

                  > Splats are still infinately better employers than say Butlins or
                  Haven and pay much better by the sound of things.

                  > I am not condoning or condemning but please feel free to scream at
                  me if I am wrong.

                  > Jonathan

                  20/06/2007 14:18

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 28, 2007
                    You are very good with people with special needs and I agree challenging them is an important thing.

                    <j.jester@...> wrote:

                    > Did a gig yesterday, there was a girl from Splats. She did exactly
                    what it says on the tin and from the clients point of view it looked
                    very well run.

                    > I didn't ask what money she was on but splats do an amazing circus
                    bag and a certificate. Splats are the McDonalds of the juggling
                    world. I don't like McDonalds but I can see what the attraction is.

                    > Splats are still infinately better employers than say Butlins or
                    Haven and pay much better by the sound of things.

                    > I am not condoning or condemning but please feel free to scream at
                    me if I am wrong.

                    > Jonathan

                    20/06/2007 14:18

                  • Pauline
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 29, 2007
                      And one more thing. She was giving out spinning plates as prizes for
                      something, but I don't know how much she was teaching them. I had one
                      kid with a plate he got from her but didn't know how to get it
                      spinning. In the 15 minutes I was working with him, he left my
                      workshop able to spinning that plate and do some simple tricks with
                      it. He even came back at the end of the day to show he could stil do

                      <j.jester@...> wrote:

                      > You are very good with people with special needs and I agree
                      challenging them is an important thing.

                      25/06/2007 09:43

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 29, 2007
                        On 29 Jun 2007, at 10:59, Pauline wrote:

                        > She was giving out spinning plates as prizes for
                        > something

                        Wow, that's really rubbing it in, isn't it.. They supply the teachers
                        with giveaways that the kids can have for nominal achievements while at
                        the same time not supplying the teachers with monies for the
                        achievement of working all day...
                        Since the collapse of communism there have been cases in Russia of
                        factory workers being paid in the product they are manufacturing as the
                        factory doesn't have the cash to pay them, so you'll see sights like
                        people at the roadside trying to sell the toilet rolls they got as
                        wages so as to buy food... How long before we see splats teachers at
                        conventions desperately trying to sell spinning plates?
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 29, 2007
                          Pauline. I would like to renegotiate your fees...