Farnham workshop: Use us or lose us

  • tlmbvoid
    Message 1 of 7 , May 23, 2005
      Hi All,

      I've been asked to pass this on...

      The Void
      See you at Bungay :-)

      http://www.farnhamjugglingclub.co.uk/

      FARNHAM JUGGLING CLUB

      Dear Member Past or present,

      Farnham juggling Club is suffering from lack of support / money !!

      For the past two or three months it has been obvious to us that the amount taken each
      week is not sufficient to cover the rent let alone the insurance.

      June is a crunch month; we will need to pay rent of approx £300.00;
      Plus the annual insurance of approx £450.00
      The current Bank balance is £403.00

      Tim and Joy have decided to cover the shortfall on the insurance for the next year, but
      unless we can hit our breakeven point of ten each week, the club will have to be closed.
      This could happen as quickly as this September.

      So - what we need you to do is to come along, or recommend us to your friends !!

      The club has been running for the past eight years, it would be a great shame to lose it
      now !!

      This is a "Use Us Or Lose Us" appeal !!

      Lots of love
      Joy
      http://www.farnhamjugglingclub.co.uk/

      Please note the age limit is no one under 14. Under 16 year olds have to be accompanied
      by a responsible adult
    • John Caudrey
      Message 2 of 7 , May 26, 2005
        --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "tlmbvoid" <void@t...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I've been asked to pass this on...
        >
        > The Void
        > See you at Bungay :-)
        >

        > http://www.farnhamjugglingclub.co.uk/
        >
        > FARNHAM JUGGLING CLUB
        >
        > Dear Member Past or present,
        >
        > Farnham juggling Club is suffering from lack of support / money !!
        >
        > For the past two or three months it has been obvious to us that
        the amount taken each
        > week is not sufficient to cover the rent let alone the insurance.
        >
        > June is a crunch month; we will need to pay rent of approx £300.00;
        > Plus the annual insurance of approx £450.00
        > The current Bank balance is £403.00
        >
        > Tim and Joy have decided to cover the shortfall on the insurance
        for the next year, but
        > unless we can hit our breakeven point of ten each week, the club
        will have to be closed.
        > This could happen as quickly as this September.
        >
        > So - what we need you to do is to come along, or recommend us to
        your friends !!

        > The club has been running for the past eight years, it would be a
        great shame to lose it
        > now !!
        >
        > This is a "Use Us Or Lose Us" appeal !!
        >
        > Lots of love
        > Joy
        > http://www.farnhamjugglingclub.co.uk/
        >
        > Please note the age limit is no one under 14. Under 16 year olds
        have to be accompanied
        > by a responsible adult

        £450.00 seems a bit steep for insurance, though I believe that this
        covers equipment permanently stored in the building as well the
        usual public liabity.
        Who do other Juggling Clubs/Meetings in the UK use for their
        insurance and what sort of fees do they pay.
        It seems as if this information was available to all it might mean
        that more clubs survive the dwindling numbers periods.
        My apologies if this has already been a matter for discussion on
        rec.juggling

        cheers

        John
        www.largerthanlife.uk.com
      • Mark Wiggins
        Message 3 of 7 , May 26, 2005
          John Caudrey wrote:
          > £450.00 seems a bit steep for insurance, though I believe that this
          > covers equipment permanently stored in the building as well the
          > usual public liabity.
          > Who do other Juggling Clubs/Meetings in the UK use for their
          > insurance and what sort of fees do they pay.

          Selly Oak Juggling Club (and a few others) use a Community Policy by
          Zurich Municipal. Last renewal was £295. The policy is aimed at
          non-profit-making organisations. Might be worth a look.

          Regards,
          Mark.
        • graham8036
          Message 4 of 7 , May 29, 2005
            In Glasgow we are not asked for insurance by the hall operators (the
            Souts). We tell everyone who comes in they are here at there own risk.
            If they do not like that they can leave. We then get them to sign a
            disclamer. Anyone under 16 (Scottish law) has to accupanied by a
            reasponsible adult. This also stops the club becuming a cresh.

            The worst injury we have had is a dislocated toe. That was done by me
            on my own.

            Graham
            Ps people should be allowed to take risks, how will they ever learn.
          • Mark Wiggins
            Message 5 of 7 , May 31, 2005
              graham8036 wrote:
              > In Glasgow we are not asked for insurance by the hall operators (the
              > Souts). We tell everyone who comes in they are here at there own risk.
              > If they do not like that they can leave. We then get them to sign a
              > disclamer. Anyone under 16 (Scottish law) has to accupanied by a
              > reasponsible adult. This also stops the club becuming a cresh.
              >
              > The worst injury we have had is a dislocated toe. That was done by me
              > on my own.
              >
              > Graham
              > Ps people should be allowed to take risks, how will they ever learn.

              All very reasonable stuff - unfortunately, as far as I am aware, the
              laws are not reasonable (in England at least). A disclaimer isn't worth
              the paper it's written on. A club in Manchester is being sued even
              though it had disclaimers and had informed the person involved that
              unicycling could be dangerous and that the clothes they were wearing
              were unsuitable. Luckily they have insurance.

              Selly Oak Juggling Club didn't have insurance in the early years. I
              decided I quite like my house so now we have insurance.

              IANAL

              Regards,
              Mark.
            • Jay Linn
              Message 6 of 7 , May 31, 2005
                --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wiggins <m.wiggins@f...> wrote:

                <snip>

                > All very reasonable stuff - unfortunately, as far as I am aware, the
                > laws are not reasonable (in England at least). A disclaimer isn't
                worth the paper it's written on.

                Indeed. To the best of my knowledge, it is not possible to disclaim or
                otherwise sign away the rights of a minor, under English and Welsh law.

                The law is designed to protect children from having their rights, and
                the duties of care owed to them, signed away under any circumstances,
                which of course means that responsibility to minors cannot be absolved
                under any circumstances.

                Adults are allowed to waive many rights, but you really need to get a
                reptile^H^H^H^H^H^H^H lawyer to look over any disclaimer beforehand,
                and make sure that it is bulletproof.

                --
                Jay Linn
              • tim woolliscroft
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
                  The Fundango festival will be taking place at The Magna Centre in Rotherham on the 11th of June
                  Swamp Circus, England's longest serving contemporary circus company, present
                  this exciting multi-cultural event that will contain an abundant array of
                  activities, performances and information

                  This event is open to all regardless of ability and experience
                  · Highlights of the day will include an exciting performance by the Mpopoma
                  Dance Ensemble from Bulowayo, Zimbabwe plus other special guests
                  · Main feature of the day is a spectacular performance of Swamp Circus's
                  Funky Fantasy show Fundango at 2pm and 7pm
                  · Workshops include juggling, acrobatics, trapeze, stiltwalking, tightrope
                  walking, dance and percussion
                  · Other activities include, bands, breakdancing, face-painting, henna
                  painting and craft workshops

                  Fundango is an eco - circus show for all ages including spectacular trapeze,
                  laser juggling, musical clowns, fiery hula-hoops, bungee acrobatics and
                  aerial ballet.

                  11th June 11 am to 9 pm
                  At Magna Science and Adventure Centre
                  Sheffield Road, Rotherham, S60 1DX
                  £7 / £5 concessions. Price includes the swamp circus show Fundango and a
                  discount to Magna's other attractions.

                  Further information and booking information can be found at out website
                  http://www.swampcircus.com/fundango_info.htm

                  Tim Woolliscroft, Circus Development Officer
                  Swamp Circus, Magna, Templeborough S60 1DX
                  Tel/Fax 01709 828477
                  mobile 07971 625831
                  email: mailto:swampcircus@...
                  website: http://www.swampcircus.com