Re: [uk_jugglers] Wiltshire/Bath people...

  • paul.seward@bristol.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1 12:40 AM
      --On 30 June 2004 18:15 +0000 Lou <flamingkitties@...> wrote:

      > I was trying to find a juggling club near to me, and as fate would
      > dictate, they're all on Monday evenings, when 3/4 times I have to
      > work.

      How far from Corsham are you? That's Wiltshire, and not too far
      from Bath... and they meet on a Thursday night (very lovely lot
      they are too)
      http://www.jugglingdb.com/clubs/index.php?record=23

      Other than that, if you can get into Bristol the university club
      meets on Sunday afternoons, during term time. (No good to you
      now until october) and Dab Hands is on a Tuesday.

      There's another Tuesday night one in Gloucester as well if you're
      near enough.

      See http://www.jugglingdb.com/clubs/index.php?country=222
      for links to the above clubs details.

      If that doesn't help at all, have a butchers at
      http://www.jugglingdb.com/events/index.php?country=222
      and pick a convention to go to... You'll have a stonking good time
      and meet loads of really nice people!

      Not listed on there, but well worth going to, is the Bristol
      convention. 9 days, in a field, in almondsbury, in september.

      Marvelous fun.

      -Paul
    • Louise Lee
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1 12:51 AM
        Hello

        >How far from Corsham are you? That's Wiltshire, and not too >far from Bath... and they meet on a Thursday night (very >lovely lot they are too)
        >http://www.jugglingdb.com/clubs/index.php?record=23

        I'd seen them mentioned somewhere (other than the DB), I don't think I am that far, but I'd have to get in and out by train, which might not be useful..

        >Other than that, if you can get into Bristol the university >club meets on Sunday afternoons, during term time. (No >good to you now until october) and Dab Hands is on a >Tuesday.

        Boo! I'll keep them in mind. Thanks.

        >There's another Tuesday night one in Gloucester as well if >you're near enough.

        Nope, don't think I am for that, ta anyway.

        >Not listed on there, but well worth going to, is the >Bristol convention. 9 days, in a field, in almondsbury, in >september.

        Yep! I have that posted in my diary, I shall try and make it for a couple of days, or more if I get the time off of work!
        Thanks for the info!
        Lou

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • james waugh
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1 5:06 AM
          Hi Lou

          Corsham no longer runs they raised the rent by 80% only a few of us and could not afford it. Bath workshop is still running on a Monday come along and join us look forwaud to meeting you.
          James
          I was trying to find a juggling club near to me, and as fate would
          dictate, they're all on Monday evenings, when 3/4 times I have to
          work.

          Is there anyone about who gets together at weekends to practise? I'm
          a relitivly rubbish 3 ball juggler and I have just started (for a
          change) to contact juggling...

          Ta
          Lou

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • james waugh
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1 6:54 AM
            Hi Lou
            Andrew and I practice quite a lot, we hire a squash court or weather permiting on the green in front of the house, you would be more than welcome to join us let us know when you are free and we will work something out.We are hoping to start at another hall when we get round to finding one in place of the corsham on a thursday night.
            We will be glad to teach you clubs and passing, I also do a little contact and ball spinning, andrew is a 5 club juggler and working on 7 balls.
            Hope to hear from you soon all the best James & Andrew.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1 7:33 AM
              Hello James and Andrew!
              Excellent! Well, I'd love to learn a lot more stuff, and am freed up most evenings (except most Mondays...ish) and weekends. Work commitments come and go but that's about it! Also Westbury isn't far away!
              Any time you're up to anything, I'm happy to make my way wherever it is!

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2 6:33 AM
                I recall a thread from a while back about 'firewater' - basically the
                'safer' version of parafin for fire breathing.

                Someone was talking about it at our club last night complaining that you
                couldn't get it in the UK but I'm sure someone here mentioned that you
                could previously, albeit in a limited number of places.

                Could someone please refresh my memory as to where those places are ?

                ta very much.

                http://www.loadeddice.co.uk
              • paul.seward@bristol.ac.uk
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2 7:19 AM
                  --On 02 July 2004 14:33 +0100 Glyn Hanton <glyn@...> wrote:

                  > I recall a thread from a while back about 'firewater' - basically the
                  > 'safer' version of parafin for fire breathing.

                  I also recal it not being any safer. Firebreathing (and by association
                  petrochemicals :-) is still dangerous no matter how you look at it :-)

                  > Someone was talking about it at our club last night complaining that you
                  > couldn't get it in the UK but I'm sure someone here mentioned that you
                  > could previously, albeit in a limited number of places.

                  From what I remember, it was pretty much re-branded clear lamp oil,
                  which is available from all sorts of candle/hippy shops. However,
                  whilst lamp oil is fine for fire breathing, it's cack for fire eating.

                  It's just not volatile enough, and from what I remember, neither was
                  firewater.

                  ISTR that fire-fli used to flog it branded as "fire water" - but
                  google turned up http://www.firetoys.co.uk/fuel.htm which suggests
                  it's an australian product that can't be imported to the UK.

                  -Paul
                • Dave Law
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2 7:57 AM
                    The only place I've seen it was at a BJC a few years ago, I'm probably wrong but I have a feeling it was on the Passe Passe stall.

                    Dave

                    Crawley Circus festival 13th - 15th August 2004
                    See http://www.circuswurx.co.uk
                    For further details.

                    I recall a thread from a while back about 'firewater' - basically the
                    'safer' version of parafin for fire breathing.

                    Someone was talking about it at our club last night complaining that you
                    couldn't get it in the UK but I'm sure someone here mentioned that you
                    could previously, albeit in a limited number of places.

                    Could someone please refresh my memory as to where those places are ?

                    ta very much.

                    http://www.loadeddice.co.uk

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • james waugh
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 2 8:21 AM
                      Hi Louise

                      I f you are free this Monday we will be going to Bath.
                      If you would like to e-mail me direct it is james.waugh@... then we might be able to a timetable out when you are free.
                      All the best James.

                    • Jay Linn
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 2 9:44 AM
                        paul.seward@... wrote:

                        <sniporooni>

                        >ISTR that fire-fli used to flog it branded as "fire water" - but
                        >google turned up http://www.firetoys.co.uk/fuel.htm which suggests
                        >it's an australian product that can't be imported to the UK.

                        A *very* long time ago (late 80's/early 90's) Oddball's sold Fire
                        Water - it wasn't very cheap, and I vaguely recall it disappearing from
                        their catalogue at about the same time that people started denouncing it
                        as being far too carcinogenic to use orally.

                        I ain't got the faintest what it was, though.

                        --
                        Jay Linn

                        Jay@...
                        http://jay-linn.co.uk
                      • Russell S Wells
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 5 1:59 PM
                          The safest way for fire breathing is with powders, has anyone had any
                          success ? Also does anybody know what fuel and method for fire eating, then
                          relighting an unlit torch from your mouth.

                          Ta Russell www.pick-n-mix.co.uk

                        • paul.seward@bristol.ac.uk
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 13 10:20 AM
                            --On 05 July 2004 21:59 +0100 Russell S Wells <russellwells@...>
                            wrote:

                            > The safest way for fire breathing is with powders,

                            Yes, that way you only risk the hundreds of powder related
                            nasty health type stuff - Just ask anyone who has ever worked
                            in a flour/sugar/saw mill.

                            They all wear dustmasks for a reason.

                            Besides, the fireballs are less impressive, and if you spill
                            "fuel" down yourself, you get stopped by the police for being
                            careless with your coke habit.

                            > has anyone had any success ?

                            I've had a lot of failure with it. Like I said, compared to
                            a good old swig of carcenogenic petrochemicals... it looks crap.

                            By far the best "fire breathing" effect is the method that
                            Nigel(?) mentioned a while back. Use one of those plastic plant
                            spritzers you can get from garden centers to spray the fuel
                            for you.

                            Nice big fireballs, with a comparatively small risk of death.
                            You just have to replace the spray every few gigs as the nozzel
                            melts eventually.

                            > Also does anybody know what fuel and method for fire eating,
                            > then relighting an unlit torch from your mouth.

                            Yes, but it's hard, and not advisable outdoors. For more details
                            I can thoroughly recomend "Fire eating, a manual of instruction"
                            available from Dube - but *only* as an additional text used
                            to accompany personal, one on one tuition.

                            You don't want to learn something this dangerous, just from the
                            internet. You want to learn it in person, from a pro who will
                            be more than happy to teach you how to do it safely. I would
                            personally urge you to augment that tuition with a large ammount
                            of reading, both on the web and in print.

                            Personally though, If I can put you off learning it, I will
                            do my best. Its seriously stupid, dangerous, and needlessly
                            smelly. I've been there, done it, and am in no hurry to go
                            back to putting myself at that kind of risk.

                            <http://evilurl.com/dongDONGslash> is a pretty good summary
                            of at least some of the danger involved in getting petrochemicals
                            near your breathing bits.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 13 11:53 AM
                              In your last message, you said:

                              > By far the best "fire breathing" effect is the method that
                              > Nigel(?) mentioned a while back. Use one of those plastic plant
                              > spritzers you can get from garden centers to spray the fuel
                              > for you.
                              >
                              > Nice big fireballs, with a comparatively small risk of death.
                              > You just have to replace the spray every few gigs as the nozzel
                              > melts eventually.
                              Yep, that was me...
                              Though I've never had a nozzle melt, mayhaps I've been holding the light
                              further away from the spray head than Paul has, but I have had to to replace
                              them every few gigs as the mechanism is generally cr*p and doesn't stand up
                              to repeated energetic spraying.
                              Lately I've been using the more expensive pump-up versions, it doesn't take
                              so much abuse in use and you get big long squirts with much less effort.