RE: [uk_jugglers] ballspinning

    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 1 1:29 AM

      ...and the 'helluva spin' bit is what will keep it going for more than
      Mini's original 15 seconds. You can also learn to speed it up by hitting it
      (very fast, but hardly touching). The original spin's the thing though, if
      you can do that well everything follows.

      ---
    • Stuart Swift
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 1 3:17 AM
        And if the local stress due to friction is greater than
        the shear stress the material can withstand, it shreds
        and tiny balls of rubber can act as bearings between
        the surfaces, lowering the friction ( and wearing marks
        on your ball ) - like a car leaving skid marks.

        Stuart

        Ps. Happy to be corrected by any tribologists out there :-)

        --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Hull" <charlie@j...>
        > > Yeah , the ball spins for longer when its more harderer & when
        > > its lighterer & when the atmosphere is airlessier & when you've
        > > just done ya nails {;-)} & when ya arm is more relaxy and less
        > > clenchy-like, oh yeah, and when you give it one helluva spin.
        > >

        > ...and the 'helluva spin' bit is what will keep it going for more
        than
        > Mini's original 15 seconds. You can also learn to speed it up by
        hitting it
        > (very fast, but hardly touching). The original spin's the thing
        though, if
        > you can do that well everything follows.

        > ---
      • Jaims Gibson
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 1 4:01 AM
          >And if the local stress due to friction is greater than
          >the shear stress the material can withstand, it shreds
          >and tiny balls of rubber can act as bearings between
          >the surfaces,

          Or bits of skin.

          And then there's the heat build-up, which will cause even greater localised
          deformation of the material and propensity to wear, especially with the low
          melting points of the plastics used in spinning balls. Plus of course, it's
          the rotational energy of the ball being converted to heat which is helping
          to slow it down, so keeping the contact point small will help with that too.

          It's amazing how much bo**ocks it's possible to come out with just to avoid
          doing any work, isn't it?

          Get a FREE connection, FREE modem and one month's FREE line rental, plus a
          US or European flight when you sign up for BT Broadband!
        • gamble
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 1 10:34 AM
            As I understand it from the motorbike tyre gurus, as the rubber gets hot it
            gives up its natural oil and the resultant tyre "crumb" is degraded rubber
            bereft of its oil, could this oil be a factor in the coefficency of the
            friction, or lack of it..... I'll leave the rest to the ruberologists out
            there..............

            > And if the local stress due to friction is greater than
            > the shear stress the material can withstand, it shreds
            > and tiny balls of rubber can act as bearings between
            > the surfaces, lowering the friction ( and wearing marks
            > on your ball ) - like a car leaving skid marks.
            >
            > Stuart
            >
            > Ps. Happy to be corrected by any tribologists out there :-)
            >
            > --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Hull" <charlie@j...>

          • Naomi Sajeri
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 1 11:32 PM
              ----Original Message Follows----
              From: "Stuart Swift" <stuart@...>

              And if the local stress due to friction is greater than
              the shear stress the material can withstand, it shreds
              and tiny balls of rubber can act as bearings between
              the surfaces, lowering the friction ( and wearing marks
              on your ball ) - like a car leaving skid marks.

              Stuart

              Ps. Happy to be corrected by any tribologists out there :-)

              Unlikely, we out here are probably related more closely to trilobytes
              than tribologists.

              Nao.

              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 2 6:59 AM
                In your last message, you said:

                > Ps. Happy to be corrected by any tribologists out there :-)
                >

                > Unlikely, we out here are probably related more closely to trilobytes

                Or troglodytes... ( Or whatever the equivalent term for creatures who spend
                their time hiding in church halls/sports centres/whatever-big-room-at-a-uni
                is...)

                N. ( wondering how much further this thread has to drift before folk start
                complaining...)
              • Mark Tillotson
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 2 7:17 AM
                  Nigel wrote:

                  >In your last message, you said:
                  >

                  >>Ps. Happy to be corrected by any tribologists out there :-)
                  >>

                  >>Unlikely, we out here are probably related more closely to trilobytes
                  >>

                  >Or troglodytes... ( Or whatever the equivalent term for creatures who spend
                  >their time hiding in church halls/sports centres/whatever-big-room-at-a-uni
                  >is...)
                  >
                  >N. ( wondering how much further this thread has to drift before folk start
                  >complaining...)

                  Drift? Precess, surely?

                  __Mark T
                • paul.seward@bristol.ac.uk
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 2 7:23 AM
                    --On 02 June 2004 15:17 +0100 Mark Tillotson <markt@...> wrote:

                    > Drift? Precess, surely?

                    This groups always had a slightly off-centre wobble to it.

                    -Paul
                  • Colin
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 2 7:32 AM
                      > This groups always had a slightly off-centre wobble to it.

                      wait, has this ball spinning thread gone full-circle (pun intended)?

                      (c:
                    • Graham Currie
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 2 7:34 AM
                        Mark Tillotson <markt@...> wrote:
                        Nigel wrote:

                        >N. ( wondering how much further this thread has to drift before folk start
                        >complaining...)

                        Drift? Precess, surely?

                        __Mark T

                        Precess??

                        Personally, I would favour divagate or tralineate for this process.

                        [Stray;straggle;sidle;diverge;digress;wander;wind;twist;meander; veer;tack;sidetrack;ramble;rove and yaw just don't quite cut it properly]

                        __Hairy (finally discovering what juggling chat is all about) :-)

                      • Pemberton, Brian
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 2 7:48 AM

                          I think you may have put your finger on it, there... ;o)

                          *ducks*

                          Brian P
                        • Ali Close
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 2 7:56 AM

                            > > wait, has this ball spinning thread gone full-circle (pun intended)?
                            > >
                            > I think you may have put your finger on it, there... ;o)
                            >
                            > *ducks*
                            >
                            > Brian P

                            Ah - - but is it the finger - - - or is it the nail?!

                            Ali

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Naomi Sajeri
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 2 9:01 AM
                              ----Original Message Follows----
                              From: Graham Currie <grahamcurrie23@...>

                              Precess??

                              Personally, I would favour divagate or tralineate for this process.

                              [Stray;straggle;sidle;diverge;digress;wander;wind;twist;meander;
                              veer;tack;sidetrack;ramble;rove and yaw just don't quite cut it properly]

                              __Hairy (finally discovering what juggling chat is all about) :-)

                              I think I'll teeter over to Mark on this. Precess seems more precise for the
                              process.

                              Naomi.

                              Mill's Mess NEEDS gravity, it is probably what Newton invented it for.
                              But why oh why did he have to give us quite so much of it?

                              http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 2 3:36 PM
                                In your last message, you said:

                                > Precess??
                                >
                                > Personally, I would favour divagate or tralineate for this process.
                                >
                                > [Stray;straggle;sidle;diverge;digress;wander;wind;twist;meander;
                                > veer;tack;sidetrack;ramble;rove and yaw just don't quite cut it properly]
                                >
                                > __Hairy (finally discovering what juggling chat is all about) :-)
                                >
                                > I think I'll teeter over to Mark on this. Precess seems more precise for the
                                > process.
                                Just say it... precess...
                                and again pre cess...
                                and again.... pre - cess...
                                Naah, sorry, there's nothing "before" about the sh*te we spout, had it been
                                "Omnicess" then it would've been an entirely appropriate word... So whilst I
                                went for "thread drift" as established net-speak in the first instance, I
                                have to side with "tralineate" as the more elegant ( and possessed of far
                                less pun-worthy etymology ) word, and thus re-phrase my original pondering
                                to:

                                N. ( Wondering quite what degree of discursive tralineation shall be
                                necessary to incur dissention... )
                              • Naomi Sajeri
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 2 11:40 PM
                                  > Personally, I would favour divagate or tralineate for this process.
                                  >
                                  > [Stray;straggle;sidle;diverge;digress;wander;wind;twist;meander;
                                  > veer;tack;sidetrack;ramble;rove and yaw just don't quite cut it properly]
                                  >
                                  > __Hairy (finally discovering what juggling chat is all about) :-)
                                  >
                                  > I think I'll teeter over to Mark on this. Precess seems more precise for
                                  the
                                  > process.
                                  Just say it... precess...
                                  and again pre cess...
                                  and again.... pre - cess...
                                  Naah, sorry, there's nothing "before" about the sh*te we spout, had it been
                                  "Omnicess" then it would've been an entirely appropriate word... So whilst I
                                  went for "thread drift" as established net-speak in the first instance, I
                                  have to side with "tralineate" as the more elegant ( and possessed of far
                                  less pun-worthy etymology ) word, and thus re-phrase my original pondering
                                  to:

                                  N. ( Wondering quite what degree of discursive tralineation shall be
                                  necessary to incur dissention... )

                                  Very little probably. Anyway I am bored of all this, so am off to spin my
                                  gyroscope on my finger. and if it dares to tralineate, divagate or dissent
                                  rather than precessing as usual, then it will find itself straying,
                                  drifting or digressing towards the rubbish bin.

                                  PS anyone going to WJD to watch Mini spin his ball? I cannot go, so
                                  expect detailed report of his prowess from the rest of you.

                                  Nao