RE: [uk_jugglers] friction

  • Naomi Sajeri
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2004
      Wandering around the garden I had more thoughts on the problem, and was
      about to add just the point made by Owen about rotation.

      I had indeed only considered straight line motion in the effect that the
      equation has on the friction, and was headed for the keyboard to revise, nay
      reverse , my stance. Owen got there before me.

      Contact radius becomes important when spinning because the frictional
      forces are applied as torques. For straight line friction the total
      frictional force is a simple summation of all the forces at each point of
      contact. What I had missed, and I feel rather silly about it, is that for
      rotation we are summing, for each point the product of the force times its
      distance from the centre of rotation to produce a total torque to slow the
      spin. The problem for a surface that distorts to support its weight becomes
      non trivial. Weight supported ( or friction force contributed ) 'per square
      millimetre' becomes less, the further out on the contact area it is, but is
      effectively applied using a longer lever.

      So Nigel, my apologies, for your intuition/observation is correct although
      not for reasons quite as simple as I suspect you may have thought.

      I stupidly missed a vital factor.

      Nao....wandering off to sharpen a nail to a point.