Juggling shows at The Circus Space in April and May

  • Charlie Holland
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2004
      Wed 7 - Fri 9 April at 8pm
      K-DNK (Jerwood Circus Award Winner 2003) present No Exit
      plus
      Gandini Juggling present Don't Break My Balls
      £7 / £5 concs. c70mins. Box Office 020 7387 0031

      K-DNK (the sound a ball makes when it hits two walls) is a newly formed company comprising jugglers John Blanchard, Sean Gandini and Kati Ylå-Hokkala. Having played together on and off informally for over a decade, a shared fascination of things that go boing boing has made them put the company together. By bouncing balls in and around geometrical structures of different materials extraordinary sounds and rhythms are created. John-Paul Zaccarini (of Company F/Z, previous Jerwood Circus Award winners) has collaborated on the theatrical aspect of No Exit.
      Don't Break My Balls, sold out at the London International Mime Festival this January. "Somewhere between juggling and dance, this beautifully performed piece is light but resonant with a simple emotional pull and a lovely understated maturity." Donald Hutera, The Times.

      Wed 21 - Fri 23 April at 8pm
      Lindsey Butcher and Launch - Young Companies with new pieces
      £7 / £5 concs. Box Office 020 7387 0031

      Lindsey Butcher (Jerwood Circus Award Winner 2003) presents Why?
      "Why?" is an aerial dance duet in two parts on single line harnesses made in collaboration with award winning choreographer Fin Walker and composer Ben Park.
      "Why?" will be performed by dancers Lee Clayden and Lindsey Butcher with lighting by Lucy Carter and costumes by Ben Maher. (approx 10 mins)
      Bibi and Bichu (10 mins)
      The energetic club passing and high velocity acrobats are back with an extract from their forthcoming new show, which includes new faces as well as acts for all to enjoy.
      Max Haverkamp and Susan Voyticky present Crossed Stars (8 mins)
      Crossed Stars combines the amazing juggling abilities of Max with the sensual movement of Susan in the air, resulting in a piece that is both technically challenging and emotionally powerful.
      LapisLazuli present Apartment (runs 30 mins)
      Sophie Avigdor and Annette Fiaschi present a twisted, light hearted story of a friendship combining contortion, poetry, hand balancing and humour.
      Kicking the Moon present Second Thoughts (runs 30 mins)
      Fresh from the Christchurch Arts Festival in New Zealand, Kicking the Moon is back with their new show. Max Haverkamp and Ashley Carr combine their quirky comedy with skilful juggling, impressive acrobatics and inevitable marriage.

      Sat 8 May at 8pm
      The Circus Space Cabaret - Just about a whole weekend's entertainment in one evening!
      £15 Box Office 020 7729 9522 , though not on sale until Mon 5 April.

      We saw Tr'espace redefine the diabolo act and win Silver Medal at the premiere new circus act showcase - the Cirque de Demain, in Paris, this January. So that you too can see them, we're flying these two young ambidextrous artists in from Switzerland to perform, exclusively at The Circus Space Cabaret, for one night only. Grab the opportunity to see this act - one that, for once, really does tilt at convention.

      Details of the other astounding acts available soon. Book a table and enjoy our unique blend of funny, sensual, astounding and plain bizarre acts happening above and around you - from triple trapeze ravers to the pick of the comedy circuit. The evening takes place in an old power station transformed into a strange yet addictive emporium of entertainment with rope ladders and trapezes dangling from the ceiling. Licensed Bar and food on sale.

      See www.thecircusspace.co.uk for more information about The Circus Space and forthcoming events.