Yet another reason to go to the BJC this year..............

  • arron_sparks
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2004
      To see me! No not really (although you do!), this year as in the past
      the BJC is Host to the UK National Yo-Yo contest.
      Make sure you take a yoyo (or two) too the BJC, im running a workshop
      the day before so you can all come along and hone in your skills!
      There is a site for the Yo-Yo comp, that is
      http://www.yo-yo.org/iceblade/uknats.html If you dont know/cant do
      any of the tricks dont worry at the rate im getting prizes there
      should be enough for a fair few people! (videos of the tricks comming
      soon).
      Get pratcercing and ill see you at the BJC!

      Arron

      www.bjc2004.co.uk
      (for all you lazy people) The Trick List is:

      1. Around the World 1 revolution minimum
      2. Walk the Dog
      3. Rock the Baby 3 full rocks minimum
      4. Man on Trapeze No flip overs
      5. Brain Twister Bottom mt./3 saults
      6. Double or nothing rewind dismount
      7. Split the Atom split mt./2 undercuts/3 saults
      8. Hydrogen Bomb
      9. Roller Coaster Trap/bro/double/trap
      10. Boingy Boingy split mt./3 double bounces
      11. Cold Fusion trap/dbl/side atom/prop./flyaway dismount/trap
      12. Budda's revenge
      13. Kwijibo trap/pop wristcross dbl. /roll wrist/pop to dbl./ pop to
      trap/flyaway dismount
      14. Poppin'Fresh mach mt./1 pop hop /1 fresh hop
      15. Suicide
      16. Iron whip
      17. Slack Trapeze
      18. Kamakaze
      19. Superman
      20. Breath...
    • tlmbvoid
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2004
        --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "arron_sparks" <arron_sparks@h...> wrote:
        > To see me! No not really (although you do!), this year as in the past
        > the BJC is Host to the UK National Yo-Yo contest.

        So....
        How are the top 5 judged?
        Just on their freestyle, or do you get points carried over from the trick ladder stage?
        How long is the freestyle allowed to be?

        The Void
        Not that i'm entering......
      • guyheathcote
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2004
          > How are the top 5 judged?
          > Just on their freestyle, or do you get points carried over from
          the trick ladder stage?
          > How long is the freestyle allowed to be?

          The rules are published at http://www.yo-
          yo.org/iceblade/uknats.html. Unfortunately, some over-zealous web
          design means you can't actually read them properly without
          cutting&pasting them into another application. To save you the
          bother, I've stuck them at the end of this reply. I'm assuming
          you'll take the points from the compulsories forward, but I guess
          Arron needs to clarify that. Also, note that this year, you're
          allowed to skip a trick (sounds good to me). Judging by last year's
          standards, I wouldn't think that too many people are going to get
          anywhere near the end of the trick list. But, who knows?

          For those of you not up with the terminology, videos are due to be
          posted on the official site. However, you can also find
          text/pictorial descriptions as follows:

          1. Around the World (KWOS - http://www.kwos.yoyoing.com/)
          2. Walk the Dog (KWOS - Beginner Section)
          3. Rock the Baby (KWOS - Beginner Section)
          4. Man on Trapeze (KWOS - 'Side Mount' in Components Section)
          5. Brain Twister (KWOS - Advanced Section)
          6. Double or nothing (KWOS - Beginner Section)
          7. Split the Atom (KWOS - but under Atom Smasher)
          8. Hydrogen Bomb (KWOS - Advanced Section*)
          9. Roller Coaster (unknown)
          10. Boingy Boingy (Sector Y -
          http://sector_y.yoyoing.com/Tricks/String_Tricks/index.htm)
          11. Cold Fusion (KWOS or Sector Y)
          12. Budda's revenge (KWOS or Sector Y)
          13. Kwijibo (Sector Y)
          14. Poppin'Fresh (Sector Y)
          15. Suicide (http://www.spinworkx.com/ap03/aptricks.html)
          16. Iron whip (Iconium - http://www.yo-
          yo.org/SpinWizard/SpinWizard/iron_whip.htm)
          17. Slack Trapeze (http://www.spinworkx.com/ap03/aptricks.html)
          18. Kamikaze (Sector Y)
          19. Superman (Sector Y)
          20. Breath (http://www.naturalbornyoers.com)

          * Arron doesn't seem to like this version, for some reason. Better
          to use version in Richie's appropriately-named book.

          Guy
          (And, no I can't do Breath. Or Superman. Or... )

          General mandatory trick rules:

          A counted caught yo-yo must be caught with the hand to which it is
          attached and only 5 inches of the string may be showing outside the
          yo-yo. A counted trick must end with a caught yo-yo!

          During the trick no "missed string hits" will be counted.

          Any throw in the trick box counts as an attempted. If a contestant,
          during a trick, moves outside the trick box the trick is considered
          a miss.

          Any yo-yo can be use for the competition. However the same yo-yo
          must be used for each mandatory trick. This does not include the
          freestyle division or if needed, tiebreakers.

          Competitors must run down the list in the set order. When they miss
          a trick they must retire. However one trick may be skipped. If two
          or more people have the same score after freestyles the trick the
          competitor chose to skip will become their tie breaker.

          Good sports man/woman-ship is expected and anyone putting off
          another player will be removed from the competition.

          The judge(s) decision is final and not subject to appeal.

          Freestyle:

          Open to the top 5 scorers of Trick Ladder. The freestyle category is
          the hardest and therefore the most important category to do well in
          as it will make up the vast majority of a contestant's final score.
          A contestant must have prepared his or her own music prior to the
          event. The music must be roughly 3 minutes in duration (10 seconds
          +/- is allowed). And must be on CD format only, with instructions on
          (track number, fade in/out? etc.).

          There are two main different ways of scoring points in the
          freestyle.

          One way is on "technical ability" (how hard a trick or combination
          of tricks are, originality of trick or combination etc.).

          The other is marked on "showmanship" (how well presented a trick is,
          how well the trick goes to the music, how entertaining the freestyle
          was etc.).

          Contestants are recommended to plan their freestyles before the
          event if they wish to do well and impress the judges and the crowed!
        • arron sparks
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 27, 2004
            Hi
            what guy said bassically, FS are judged on showmanship and technical
            difficualty. this score is added to the trick list score however FS have far
            more points up for grabs. Freestyles (FS) are 3mins long.
            arron
            and yes you are entering!

            http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger