Re: [uk_jugglers] 5 ball juggling

  • Phil Blackmore
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
      Ps well done Cathy anyway.

      At 11:36 05/12/03, you wrote:
      >Let's get back to the point. Cathy can juggle 5 balls for 30
      >catches. This is impressive to any sane person be they a juggler or a layman.
      >
      >There are however certain other jugglers who want to keep Cathy in her
      >place and for her to understand that while she can do this she cannot
      >claim to be a peer with these so called "proper 5 ball jugglers" because
      >several years ago their balls took control of their souls and they think
      >they are controlling the balls.
      >
      >Now whether the 5 ball endurance is a good spectator sport or not is
      >irrelevant. I think anybody with any ounce of common juggling brotherhood
      >should be embracing Cathy's acheivment and welcoming her as a peer into
      >the world of 5 ball jugglers.
      >
      >If you go into a street and stop 100 passers by and juggle 5 balls for 30
      >catches and ask them: "Can I juggle 5 balls" I think they will all answer
      >yes." We'll say 99% just in case you stop Nigel who will passionately
      >argue no and will tell you how boring that was even though he is now so
      >excited he is hopping from one foot to another begging you to hand over
      >the balls so he can show you how it is really done.

    • dan cox
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
        Glyn Hanton wrote:

        > nail - bang - on the head.

        Ouch that hurt.
        Now I can't juggle 3 ball let alown 5 cause they keep hiting the 6" nail
        sticking out my fore head.

        ;-) DAN
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
          > I think 30 catches every
          > attempt is a good aim.

          ... I think that whatever it is that you can't quite do yet is a good aim

          but I'd settle for world peace.

          http://www.loadeddice.co.uk/
        • tlmbvoid
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
            --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan the Jester" <j.jester@v...> wrote:

            > Now whether the 5 ball endurance is a good spectator sport or not is irrelevant. I
            think anybody with any ounce of common juggling brotherhood should be embracing
            Cathy's acheivment and welcoming her as a peer into the world of 5 ball jugglers.

            Rem acu tetigisti, old sport.
            Yes, well done Cathy. And stick with it. I for one reckon it's worth it.

            The Void
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
              OK, some clarifications, answers and other such things... ( and it's getting
              a bit long, sorry. Or not, after all, those of you reading this at work
              would have to find something else to distract you from your job if it wasn't
              for me and this message, see, I'm a public service me...)

              OK, so all I'm actually doing is taking issue with the rather sweeping
              statement "30 catches is proper five ball juggling. It is more than enough
              to impress a juggler," on the grounds that actually we're all ( in my
              entirely scientific and rigorous double-blind survey ;-) ) just a little
              blasé about 5 ball juggling, and to suggest that watching somebody do less
              than 5 seconds of 5 ball ( I tried, managed to count and throw, which was
              new, got to 30, did the rest of the catches to finish, looked up at the
              clock again and it was just ticking over to 5. Ish. Like I said, all
              scientific and rigorous, like...) and be impressed by it, well....
              ( Had Jonathan said something like "The new super-soaker cxg2004 has a range
              of over 50 metres. It is more than enough to impress a juggler" or "
              Mattel's new 'grape escape 2, arena of squish' features 10 all new ways to
              squeeze your grape. It is more than enough to impress a juggler", then there
              wouldn't have been an issue....)

              Void then said:
              >Anyone who's learned to juggle 5 balls knows how hard it is, even to get to 30
              >catches. Therefore i'm impressed by **the amount of effort** someone has put in
              to get to that level,

              Which is an entirely valid point, and an aspect I hadn't considered. That's
              how blasé I am about it, and I'm not a curmudgeonly old cynic at all*

              *This point is not open to debate, OK ;-)

              Yes, 30 catches is hard to get to, my little go with balls just then ( with
              the clock, I just mentioned it a few lines ago...) makes me think that's
              about where my 5 club is at ( maybe I'll try counting next time I'm
              punishing myself with it...), but there's enough people out there who can
              run 5club solid (-er than me) to make me think that _that's_ not enough to
              impress "any juggler", so despite the effort, I stand by my case..

              And then followed it with:
              >Right, now chill out you two, or it's handbags at dawn.
              And Jonathan replied:
              >I'm sorry. I thought we were having fun. I'm sure Nigel was enjoying it too,
              Indeed I am/was/is, makes a nice change to rant about something other than
              poi... ;-)

              > (although what Dawn ever did to deserve that.........)
              poi?

              Then, in response to
              > Face it, how many other people have even spotted what I'm doing in
              > particular?...
              LP wrote
              >Well there will be a few that have spotted that you're not drinking
              >tea and chatting like normal, and will want an explanation.
              What is this 'tea' of which you speak? Whilst "hoover" has become the
              generic term for vacuum cleaner...sorry, hang on, pick an example the
              hippies will get... whilst "frisbee" has become the generic term for a
              plastic disc you chuck at each other and "hacky sack" the universal parlance
              for kicking a wee bean bag too heavy and over-stuffed for Ben Beever to
              juggle with, I'm afraid you can't use "tea" as a catch-all term for hot
              beverage, it disenfranchises us coffee drinkers...

              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                In your last message, you said:

                > Let's get back to the point. Cathy can juggle 5 balls for 30 catches. This
                > is impressive to any sane person be they a juggler or a layman.
                >
                > There are however certain other jugglers who want to keep Cathy in her place
                > and for her to understand that while she can do this she cannot claim to be a
                > peer with these so called "proper 5 ball jugglers" because several years ago
                > their balls took control of their souls and they think they are controlling
                > the balls.
                Hmm, and while I was off typing that last long one, suddenly it looks like
                Jonathan stopped "having fun"...

                I refer the respondent to my original post on this in which I said:
                >Sorry Cathy... Yes, it's worth persevering with, not even necessarily to
                >become a "5 ball juggler", cos have you noticed how easy 3 and 4 are now
                >you're practising 5? They all hang in the air for ages...

                Which is hardly the response of someone keen to keep the little
                whippersnapper in her place now, is it?

                I'm happy to entertain myself with a little lighthearted and
                self-deprecating debate on a trivial issue, but watch your tone or f*** off
                sunshine...

                N.
              • public@sweavo.34sp.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                  > > their balls took control of their souls and they think they are controlling
                  >
                  > self-deprecating debate on a trivial issue, but watch your tone or f*** off
                  >
                  > sunshine...

                  Laaay-deeees!

                  This is coming into other peoples inboxes, you know!
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                    In your last message, you said:

                    > Laaay-deeees!
                    >
                    > This is coming into other peoples inboxes, you know!
                    <;-)/>

                    Buuuuuu-uuuu-uuuuuuuuut miiiiiiiiiiiii---iiiiiiiisssssssss, HE
                    staaaarrrrtted iiiiiit...

                    Oop, sorry, wrong response?
                    Let me just consult "Yahoo groups for dummies"[1] then...
                    Ah yes, page 23, "when engaged in lively debate and requested to calm down,
                    a precedent has been set in many yahoo groups, namely that you should
                    respond to this request with a message to the effect of 'well no-one's
                    *making* you read it'"
                    </;-)>

                    Apologies to anyone offended by "f***"[2], I was responding in haste[3] to
                    the disappointment I felt at the abrupt and aggressive change of tone of
                    Jonathan's argument coincident to someone else happening to agree with me...

                    N.

                    [1] Does this exist? I made it up just then but then got to thinking it
                    probably real given there seems to be a "for dummies" book on everything
                    else.. You can probably tell I made it up cos I reckon the "quote" is
                    unlikely to be in a "for dummies" style

                    [2] But only to those people offended by "f***", anyone who's actually
                    offended by me personally can, well, f*** off*

                    [3] That's what you do when you're a stingy get sat at home with a dial-up
                    56k modem** and you're typing with an active connection***

                    * I don't _really_ need to put a ;-) here do I??

                    ** yes, we still exist. Or even, yes, we do exist..

                    *** I hope adding footnotes to the footnotes hasn't confused anyone...
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                      Nigel.

                      I am still having fun and I'm sorry I made you want to swear at me. I have thoroughly enjoyed this debate and maybe my rib pulling was a little strong, but I only did that because I got the feeling that you were enjoying it too and were happy to give as much as you got. I was trying to create a grotesque exageration of how you were coming across and actually it is kind of flattering (honest) that I did that.

                      So sorry Nigel, not watching my tone, I only do that to people I don't respect to save time. I won't f*.! Off either. Might walk away when I'm bored with you, and you are welcome to do that to me whenever you like.

                      Personally I hope not because I have enjoyed this little debate immensely.