Re: Noisy Diablo??

  • guyheathcote
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
      > Friend of mine's son has limited sight and wants to learn diablo
      but cannot see well enough to know when it is spinning well , anyone
      know where I can get a diablo that makes a noise when its spinning ,
      I know Chinese State Circus had them ,any help appreciated

      It's a long while since I saw a UK juggling supplier selling Chinese-
      style whistling diabolos (though I might not have been looking hard
      enough). However, they are currently featured on both the Renegade
      (http://renegadejuggling.com) and Dube (www.dube.com) sites, both of
      which have an on-line order facility.

      I'm must admit that I'm not completely convinced that a whistling
      diabolo will be of use in this instance, as they only whistle when
      spinning at speed, whereas most of the stability problems are likely
      to occur when the diabolo isn't spinning too fast. I guess it would
      be handy if you could borrow one first, before shelling out on an
      overseas order?

      Also, have you tried attaching shiny silver tape to one point on the
      diabolo's rim, so that it flashes into view on each rotation? It
      might make it easier to guage the spin, though without knowing the
      extent of his visibility, I'm guessing somewhat.

      One final suggestion, if you haven't already tried it, would be to
      try standard Renegade diabolos, as these tend to be larger, more
      stable and, dare I say it, lethargic than the soft rubber versions.
      It's also easy to attach shiny tape to them.

      Best of luck...

      Guy Heathcote
    • Peter Gamble
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
        Many thanks for this Guy, great advice , I know they have tried black tape
        on the diablo, I shall go and visit with my shiny stuff and give it a go ,
        Good thought about the Renegade type, sadly its about the only type I don't
        have and our club has finished for the summer Boo Hoo , anyone in the
        Cardiff area like to lend me one?
        Thanks again

        Pete

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
          Some of you know Zyllan, young lad from Manchester who's scarily good at
          juggling, well, Zyllan will be featured on the Disney channel soon.. I had a
          call from a program researcher there and put him forward.. They'll be
          filming him this Tuesday ( 5th August ) probably in Salford Quays, probably
          around 3.30, they'd like some other folks to go along and juggle too to make
          it look like he's got some mates ;-)

          If you fancy being one of Zyllan's mates mail me off list, and I'll send you
          proper time/place info on Monday when I know it myself...

          N.
        • jesters
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
            Peter,

            LG Marketing (the Fun Wheels people) do a whistling diabolo. I have not seen
            the product - only their flier.

            Contact me for their details if you want to follow it up.

            Regards,

            Jak (Jesters)

            >Many thanks for this Guy, great advice , I know they have tried black tape
            >on the diablo, I shall go and visit with my shiny stuff and give it a go ,
            >Good thought about the Renegade type, sadly its about the only type I don't
            >have and our club has finished for the summer Boo Hoo , anyone in the
            >Cardiff area like to lend me one?
            >Thanks again
            >

            >Pete

          • Chris Jones
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
              Hi Pete,

              Which club do you go to in Cardiff? I'm a student up there and am looking
              for a club to join when I return in September.

              Cheers

              Chris,