soft and hard bouncing

  • nick bryson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 2:24 PM
      Does any one of you lot know the difference between a soft bounce and a hard
      bounce and no I am not talking about bouncing ball tricks but undelivered
      group e-mails?
      A hard bounce requires you to reactivate your membership of a group but why
      does it happen? I just had to reactivate my right to receive the jugglers'
      wisdom. A soft bounce could just mean you are over your storage limit on
      your personal account. That's how I read it tonight anyway.
      Thanks, Nick Bryson.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3 1:09 AM
        Never heard of this, it may be just a Yahoogroups thing.

      • paul.seward@bristol.ac.uk
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3 2:37 AM
          --On 03 March 2003 09:09 +0000 Charlie Hull <charlie@...> wrote:

          > Never heard of this, it may be just a Yahoogroups thing.

          Apparently it's quite a common mailing list term.

          Soft bounce
          During email delivery, a soft bounce occurs when the message is not
          confirmed
          delivered to the recipient, but it may be delivered at a later date.
          Proximity's systems continue to attempt delivery for 5 days from the launch
          date of a project. A soft-bounce is a valid email address, but for some
          reason up to that time, the email system cannot deliver the message.

          Hard bounce
          In e-mail delivery, a hard bounce occurs when an email is returned because
          the send-to address could not be found or the address is a bad address. In
          business-to-business emailing, common causes of a hard bounce are 1)
          incorrect address for the company or 2) the company or email address is no
          longer active.

          Found on http://www.proximitymarketing.com/glossary-bod.html amongst
          other pages.

          Googles great isn't it. :-/