Re: [uk_jugglers] Re: Making 'em laugh

  • paul.seward@bristol.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
      --On 14 February 2003 19:06 +0000 Jay Linn <jay@...> wrote:

      > drops are like a herd of cows.

      /me wanders off for a drop sandwich

      -Paul
    • Chris Cooke
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
        On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 04:50:36PM -0000, Glyn Hanton wrote:
        > > Personaly... for what it's worth, I think it is appropriate to teach
        > > Young people (all people?) that it is ok to make mistakes, wether it
        > > is privately or publically.
        >
        > As they say, we all make mistakes, the real trick is in how you carry
        > on afterwards.

        Pick them up and do it again?

        --
        Chris
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
          In the last message, Charlie said:

          > I think I see where Kevin is coming from; he's talking about a small
          > 'demonstration' one might do before a workshop, not necessarily a fully
          > polished stage act. You're actually there to do the workshop, not really to
          > perform.

          Fair enough, and I got that, but then OK, we're talking about a kids
          workshop here. A kids workshop. For kids who've almost certainly done bugger
          all circus skills before. We're not looking at demonstrating 5-club back
          crosses are we? And so Kevin is talking about fluffing a 3 ball cascade, a
          diabolo spinning with maybe a high toss, that kind of stuff. Dunno about
          you, but if I book a circus profesional to teach I expect someone who can DO
          the basics... and much more... anyone else remember his post about doing a
          corporate gig on a tightrope he couldn't get across? ... It's this kind of
          piss-poor standard of work in my field, and therefore indirectly reflecting
          badly on me, that I object to...

          And Lawrie said:
          >How sweet of you to be so supportive Nigel.

          ...Well, I said it _after_ I'd done much counting to 10 and slow deep
          breathing, you should have seen what I was going to put.... ;-)

          N.
        • Mini Mansell
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
            i gotta say, i agree with Nigel here,

            i do a LOT of workshops. and i start maybe 90% of them with a 30 minute
            show.
            i am NOT a good juggler in comparision to many others. i dont do 5 of
            anything, but i do know my limits and levels, and i have a routine i do
            for the workshops. but leaves them impressed, and laughing, but rarely if
            ever gives me the opportunity to drop. (having said that, i am currently
            ill, and yesterday during a show i sneezed while balancing a club on my
            nose. down it came.)

            if i where clowning, then maybe pratt falls, and purposeful drops would be
            in order, but not if your about to teach a subject can you demonstrate
            you cant actually do it.

            > > I think I see where Kevin is coming from; he's talking about a small
            > > 'demonstration' one might do before a workshop, not necessarily a fully
            > > polished stage act. You're actually there to do the workshop, not really
            > > perform.
            >
            > Fair enough, and I got that, but then OK, we're talking about a kids
            > workshop here. A kids workshop. For kids who've almost certainly done
            bugger
            > all circus skills before. We're not looking at demonstrating 5-club back
            > crosses are we? And so Kevin is talking about fluffing a 3 ball cascade, a
            > diabolo spinning with maybe a high toss, that kind of stuff. Dunno about
            > you, but if I book a circus profesional to teach I expect someone who can
            DO
            > the basics... and much more... anyone else remember his post about doing a
            > corporate gig on a tightrope he couldn't get across? ... It's this kind of
            > piss-poor standard of work in my field, and therefore indirectly
            reflecting
            > badly on me, that I object to...
            >
            > And then Brian said:
            > >Whoa there - decaff for you today, I think...
            > And Lawrie said:
            > >How sweet of you to be so supportive Nigel.
            >
            > ...Well, I said it _after_ I'd done much counting to 10 and slow deep
            > breathing, you should have seen what I was going to put.... ;-)
            >
            > N.

          • Jay Linn
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
              > Pick them up and do it again?

              Bzzzztt! Wrong!!

              Mug horribly, dick around interminably picking one thing up whilst
              dropping another, trip up in a comedy stylee, *then* pick up and start
              again.

              For those of mediocre talent (such as myself), drops are like a herd
              of cows. They're there to be milked.

              --
              Jay Linn

              Jay@...
              http://jay-linn.co.uk
            • Louise Waters <hi_crazee_daisy@hotmail.c
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 16, 2003
                --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Linn" <jay@j...> wrote:
                > > Pick them up and do it again?
                >
                > Bzzzztt! Wrong!!
                >
                > Mug horribly, dick around interminably picking one thing up
                whilst
                > dropping another, trip up in a comedy stylee, *then* pick up and
                start
                > again.
                >
                > For those of mediocre talent (such as myself), drops are
                like a herd
                > of cows. They're there to be milked.
                >
                > --
                > Jay Linn
                >
                > Jay@j...
                > http://jay-linn.co.uk

                Yeah I agree. Im not amazing at juggling, infact Im pretty hopeless,
                not even having made it to four balls. And I drop regularly, but jazz
                it up with your 'character' and you can make the people laugh in the
                way ya respond to having dropped it. Characters are great for things
                like that, and being as crazee daisy is well erm, crazee, i just goof
                around with it. makes it more fun too
                daisylou
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                  > > Pick them up and do it again?
                  >
                  > Bzzzztt! Wrong!!
                  >
                  > Mug horribly, dick around interminably picking one thing up
                  whilst
                  > dropping another, trip up in a comedy stylee, *then* pick up and
                  start
                  > again.

                  I think it depends on what you're doing. If you're there to do a
                  comedy routine, with a bit of juggling in, then fine, a drop is a nice
                  opportunity for a bit of a prat about. If you're actually just
                  juggling, then I think there's a lot to be said for picking up without
                  stopping juggling, but making light of it. I suppose anything that
                  makes you stop is just a good excuse for a flashy start. I think the
                  only really bad thing you can do is throw a wobble and get upset about
                  it.

                  Heaven forbid that _every time we see a juggler drop they go into the
                  old 'try to pick the ball up but keep kicking it away' routine.

                  --
                  Glyn Hanton
                  Loaded Dice Design and Media

                  tel : 01438 726248
                  mob : 07957 303251
                  glyn@...
                  www.loadeddice.co.uk
                • Chris Cooke
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                    On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 11:37:37AM -0000, Glyn Hanton wrote:

                    > Heaven forbid that _every time we see a juggler drop they go into the
                    > old 'try to pick the ball up but keep kicking it away' routine.

                    And how many times have we seen that!! I think it all depends on
                    who you are performing for.
                    --
                    Chris
                  • Steve Carter
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                      From: "Chris Cooke" <cazcdc@...>

                      > And how many times have we seen that!! I think it all depends on
                      > who you are performing for.

                      It's not how many times have *we* seen that, it's how many times has a
                      bunch of 11 year old kids seen that...

                      I'd wager less than 5 :-)
                    • paul.seward@bristol.ac.uk
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                        --On 17 February 2003 12:37 +0000 Steve Carter
                        <steveatjugglerdotnet@...> wrote:

                        > It's not how many times have *we* seen that, it's how many times has a
                        > bunch of 11 year old kids seen that...
                        >
                        > I'd wager less than 5 :-)

                        But at least 4?

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                          > It's not how many times have *we* seen that, it's how many times has
                          > bunch of 11 year old kids seen that...

                          You seem to be assuming that every juggler spends their time juggling
                          for 11 year old kids.

                          Having said that, assuming they are juggling for 11 year old kids,
                          it's a very fair point.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                              On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 03:42:38PM -0000, Glyn Hanton wrote:
                              > > It's not how many times have *we* seen that, it's how many times has
                              > > bunch of 11 year old kids seen that...
                              >
                              > You seem to be assuming that every juggler spends their time juggling
                              > for 11 year old kids.
                              >
                              > Having said that, assuming they are juggling for 11 year old kids,
                              > it's a very fair point.

                              What about juggling in night clubs? does anyone do this? I have seen
                              a few people with aerotech balls, I have never had the bottle to take
                              mine. What would be the best thing to do when dropping in this situation?
                              --
                              Chris
                            • paul.seward@bristol.ac.uk
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                                --On 17 February 2003 16:41 +0000 Chris Cooke <cazcdc@...>
                                wrote:

                                > What about juggling in night clubs? does anyone do this? I have seen
                                > a few people with aerotech balls, I have never had the bottle to take
                                > mine. What would be the best thing to do when dropping in this situation?

                                The last time I was involved with juggling glowballs in a club some fscker
                                got to the dropped ball before I did and ran off with it. 20 minutes of
                                security chasing him, hiding in toilets, complete denial of anything to
                                do with it despite his pocket visibly glowing we got the ball back and
                                decided that they were probably better used on stage next to the DJ where
                                we could easily retrieve them than on the podiums next to the punters.

                                Bloody punters. Gigs would be easier without em eh ;-)

                                -Paul
                              • Chris Cooke
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                                  On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 06:13:09PM -0000, paul.seward@... wrote:
                                  > --On 17 February 2003 16:41 +0000 Chris Cooke <cazcdc@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > What about juggling in night clubs? does anyone do this? I have seen
                                  > > a few people with aerotech balls, I have never had the bottle to take
                                  > > mine. What would be the best thing to do when dropping in this situation?
                                  >
                                  > The last time I was involved with juggling glowballs in a club some fscker
                                  > got to the dropped ball before I did and ran off with it. 20 minutes of
                                  > security chasing him, hiding in toilets, complete denial of anything to
                                  > do with it despite his pocket visibly glowing we got the ball back and
                                  > decided that they were probably better used on stage next to the DJ where
                                  > we could easily retrieve them than on the podiums next to the punters.
                                  >
                                  > Bloody punters. Gigs would be easier without em eh ;-)

                                  Whats the best way of getting gigs like this? They would be great for
                                  me as I dont really have much time during the day and weekends. I did
                                  think of going and juggling for the queues and then leaving my number
                                  with the club. Any ideas?
                                  I would need to pluck up courage to perform though :)

                                  --
                                  Chris
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                                    > The last time I was involved with juggling glowballs in a club some
                                    fscker
                                    > got to the dropped ball before I did and ran off with it.

                                    Last time I had a problem at a gig like that was when a girl pinched
                                    one of the balls, stuck it down her top and dared me to get it back.
                                    Now I'm a shy lad really, but 80 quids worth of juggling ball is 80

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                                      > What about juggling in night clubs? does anyone do this? I have seen
                                      > a few people with aerotech balls, I have never had the bottle to
                                      take
                                      > mine. What would be the best thing to do when dropping in this
                                      situation?

                                      depends, I usually do my best to come out of the zone a bit, check out
                                      where the ball went, and then go into the 'please give me the ball
                                      back' mime routine, hoping it never rolled under a table or behind
                                      anything or whatever. Sometimes you've just got to shrug and go and
                                      get the bugger though.

                                      I'd be interested on other peoples take on this.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 18, 2003

                                        Reminds me of a gig in Norwich in a club - on stilts, a girl asked me if I
                                        was looking down her top, and when I said 'no', she pulled it down and asked
                                        me 'what's wrong with them, then?'.

                                        No answer to that one really.

                                        Charlie
                                      • Nick
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 18, 2003
                                          From: "Glyn Hanton" <
                                          > > What about juggling in night clubs? does anyone do this? I have seen
                                          > > a few people with aerotech balls, I have never had the bottle to
                                          > take
                                          > > mine. What would be the best thing to do when dropping in this
                                          > situation?
                                          >
                                          > depends, I usually do my best to come out of the zone a bit, check out
                                          > where the ball went, and then go into the 'please give me the ball
                                          > back' mime routine, hoping it never rolled under a table or behind
                                          > anything or whatever. Sometimes you've just got to shrug and go and
                                          > get the bugger though.
                                          >
                                          > I'd be interested on other peoples take on this.

                                          This depends on your costume and the lighting but, unless you've fitted your
                                          cosi with LEDs or somesuch, the prop is far and away the most visible thing,
                                          not the juggler. Especially me, I dress all in dark colours deliberately so
                                          only the props are really visible. Consequently night clubs are the one
                                          place where I never do any drop lines, gags or fancy recoveries at all, I
                                          don't wait to shrug, I leap to recover the prop and start juggling again as
                                          quick as I possibly can. The dynamics of the relationship between performer
                                          and audience are so different in a night club compared to any other
                                          situation where you are likely to be performing; you will be communicating
                                          directly with such a small proportion of the audience, and that bit only
                                          visually, I think most tactics for dealing with drops just do not work in
                                          that enviroment.

                                          Take care,
                                          NickP.