Re: [uk_jugglers] Re: Making 'em laugh

  • paul.seward@bristol.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
      --On 14 February 2003 19:06 +0000 Jay Linn <jay@...> wrote:

      > drops are like a herd of cows.

      /me wanders off for a drop sandwich

      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
        > Personaly... for what it's worth, I think it is appropriate to teach
        > Young people (all people?) that it is ok to make mistakes, wether it
        > is privately or publically.

        As they say, we all make mistakes, the real trick is in how you carry
        on afterwards.

        --
        Glyn Hanton
        Loaded Dice Design and Media

        tel : 01438 726248
        mob : 07957 303251
        glyn@...
        www.loadeddice.co.uk
      • Chris Cooke
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
          On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 04:50:36PM -0000, Glyn Hanton wrote:
          > > Personaly... for what it's worth, I think it is appropriate to teach
          > > Young people (all people?) that it is ok to make mistakes, wether it
          > > is privately or publically.
          >
          > As they say, we all make mistakes, the real trick is in how you carry
          > on afterwards.

          Pick them up and do it again?

          --
          Chris
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
            In the last message, Charlie said:

            > I think I see where Kevin is coming from; he's talking about a small
            > 'demonstration' one might do before a workshop, not necessarily a fully
            > polished stage act. You're actually there to do the workshop, not really to
            > perform.

            Fair enough, and I got that, but then OK, we're talking about a kids
            workshop here. A kids workshop. For kids who've almost certainly done bugger
            all circus skills before. We're not looking at demonstrating 5-club back
            crosses are we? And so Kevin is talking about fluffing a 3 ball cascade, a
            diabolo spinning with maybe a high toss, that kind of stuff. Dunno about
            you, but if I book a circus profesional to teach I expect someone who can DO
            the basics... and much more... anyone else remember his post about doing a
            corporate gig on a tightrope he couldn't get across? ... It's this kind of
            piss-poor standard of work in my field, and therefore indirectly reflecting
            badly on me, that I object to...

            And Lawrie said:
            >How sweet of you to be so supportive Nigel.

            ...Well, I said it _after_ I'd done much counting to 10 and slow deep
            breathing, you should have seen what I was going to put.... ;-)

            N.
          • Mini Mansell
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
              i gotta say, i agree with Nigel here,

              i do a LOT of workshops. and i start maybe 90% of them with a 30 minute
              show.
              i am NOT a good juggler in comparision to many others. i dont do 5 of
              anything, but i do know my limits and levels, and i have a routine i do
              for the workshops. but leaves them impressed, and laughing, but rarely if
              ever gives me the opportunity to drop. (having said that, i am currently
              ill, and yesterday during a show i sneezed while balancing a club on my
              nose. down it came.)

              if i where clowning, then maybe pratt falls, and purposeful drops would be
              in order, but not if your about to teach a subject can you demonstrate
              you cant actually do it.

              > > I think I see where Kevin is coming from; he's talking about a small
              > > 'demonstration' one might do before a workshop, not necessarily a fully
              > > polished stage act. You're actually there to do the workshop, not really
              > > perform.
              >
              > Fair enough, and I got that, but then OK, we're talking about a kids
              > workshop here. A kids workshop. For kids who've almost certainly done
              bugger
              > all circus skills before. We're not looking at demonstrating 5-club back
              > crosses are we? And so Kevin is talking about fluffing a 3 ball cascade, a
              > diabolo spinning with maybe a high toss, that kind of stuff. Dunno about
              > you, but if I book a circus profesional to teach I expect someone who can
              DO
              > the basics... and much more... anyone else remember his post about doing a
              > corporate gig on a tightrope he couldn't get across? ... It's this kind of
              > piss-poor standard of work in my field, and therefore indirectly
              reflecting
              > badly on me, that I object to...
              >
              > And then Brian said:
              > >Whoa there - decaff for you today, I think...
              > And Lawrie said:
              > >How sweet of you to be so supportive Nigel.
              >
              > ...Well, I said it _after_ I'd done much counting to 10 and slow deep
              > breathing, you should have seen what I was going to put.... ;-)
              >
              > N.

            • Jay Linn
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
                > Pick them up and do it again?

                Bzzzztt! Wrong!!

                Mug horribly, dick around interminably picking one thing up whilst
                dropping another, trip up in a comedy stylee, *then* pick up and start
                again.

                For those of mediocre talent (such as myself), drops are like a herd
                of cows. They're there to be milked.

                --
                Jay Linn

                Jay@...
                http://jay-linn.co.uk
              • Louise Waters <hi_crazee_daisy@hotmail.c
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 16, 2003
                  --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Linn" <jay@j...> wrote:
                  > > Pick them up and do it again?
                  >
                  > Bzzzztt! Wrong!!
                  >
                  > Mug horribly, dick around interminably picking one thing up
                  whilst
                  > dropping another, trip up in a comedy stylee, *then* pick up and
                  start
                  > again.
                  >
                  > For those of mediocre talent (such as myself), drops are
                  like a herd
                  > of cows. They're there to be milked.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Jay Linn
                  >
                  > Jay@j...
                  > http://jay-linn.co.uk

                  Yeah I agree. Im not amazing at juggling, infact Im pretty hopeless,
                  not even having made it to four balls. And I drop regularly, but jazz
                  it up with your 'character' and you can make the people laugh in the
                  way ya respond to having dropped it. Characters are great for things
                  like that, and being as crazee daisy is well erm, crazee, i just goof
                  around with it. makes it more fun too
                  daisylou
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                    > > Pick them up and do it again?
                    >
                    > Bzzzztt! Wrong!!
                    >
                    > Mug horribly, dick around interminably picking one thing up
                    whilst
                    > dropping another, trip up in a comedy stylee, *then* pick up and
                    start
                    > again.

                    I think it depends on what you're doing. If you're there to do a
                    comedy routine, with a bit of juggling in, then fine, a drop is a nice
                    opportunity for a bit of a prat about. If you're actually just
                    juggling, then I think there's a lot to be said for picking up without
                    stopping juggling, but making light of it. I suppose anything that
                    makes you stop is just a good excuse for a flashy start. I think the
                    only really bad thing you can do is throw a wobble and get upset about
                    it.

                    Heaven forbid that _every time we see a juggler drop they go into the
                    old 'try to pick the ball up but keep kicking it away' routine.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                      On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 11:37:37AM -0000, Glyn Hanton wrote:

                      > Heaven forbid that _every time we see a juggler drop they go into the
                      > old 'try to pick the ball up but keep kicking it away' routine.

                      And how many times have we seen that!! I think it all depends on
                      who you are performing for.
                      --
                      Chris
                    • Steve Carter
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                        From: "Chris Cooke" <cazcdc@...>

                        > And how many times have we seen that!! I think it all depends on
                        > who you are performing for.

                        It's not how many times have *we* seen that, it's how many times has a
                        bunch of 11 year old kids seen that...

                        I'd wager less than 5 :-)
                      • paul.seward@bristol.ac.uk
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                          --On 17 February 2003 12:37 +0000 Steve Carter
                          <steveatjugglerdotnet@...> wrote:

                          > It's not how many times have *we* seen that, it's how many times has a
                          > bunch of 11 year old kids seen that...
                          >
                          > I'd wager less than 5 :-)

                          But at least 4?

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                            > It's not how many times have *we* seen that, it's how many times has
                            > bunch of 11 year old kids seen that...

                            You seem to be assuming that every juggler spends their time juggling
                            for 11 year old kids.

                            Having said that, assuming they are juggling for 11 year old kids,
                            it's a very fair point.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                                On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 03:42:38PM -0000, Glyn Hanton wrote:
                                > > It's not how many times have *we* seen that, it's how many times has
                                > > bunch of 11 year old kids seen that...
                                >
                                > You seem to be assuming that every juggler spends their time juggling
                                > for 11 year old kids.
                                >
                                > Having said that, assuming they are juggling for 11 year old kids,
                                > it's a very fair point.

                                What about juggling in night clubs? does anyone do this? I have seen
                                a few people with aerotech balls, I have never had the bottle to take
                                mine. What would be the best thing to do when dropping in this situation?
                                --
                                Chris
                              • paul.seward@bristol.ac.uk
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                                  --On 17 February 2003 16:41 +0000 Chris Cooke <cazcdc@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > What about juggling in night clubs? does anyone do this? I have seen
                                  > a few people with aerotech balls, I have never had the bottle to take
                                  > mine. What would be the best thing to do when dropping in this situation?

                                  The last time I was involved with juggling glowballs in a club some fscker
                                  got to the dropped ball before I did and ran off with it. 20 minutes of
                                  security chasing him, hiding in toilets, complete denial of anything to
                                  do with it despite his pocket visibly glowing we got the ball back and
                                  decided that they were probably better used on stage next to the DJ where
                                  we could easily retrieve them than on the podiums next to the punters.

                                  Bloody punters. Gigs would be easier without em eh ;-)

                                  -Paul
                                • Chris Cooke
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                                    On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 06:13:09PM -0000, paul.seward@... wrote:
                                    > --On 17 February 2003 16:41 +0000 Chris Cooke <cazcdc@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > What about juggling in night clubs? does anyone do this? I have seen
                                    > > a few people with aerotech balls, I have never had the bottle to take
                                    > > mine. What would be the best thing to do when dropping in this situation?
                                    >
                                    > The last time I was involved with juggling glowballs in a club some fscker
                                    > got to the dropped ball before I did and ran off with it. 20 minutes of
                                    > security chasing him, hiding in toilets, complete denial of anything to
                                    > do with it despite his pocket visibly glowing we got the ball back and
                                    > decided that they were probably better used on stage next to the DJ where
                                    > we could easily retrieve them than on the podiums next to the punters.
                                    >
                                    > Bloody punters. Gigs would be easier without em eh ;-)

                                    Whats the best way of getting gigs like this? They would be great for
                                    me as I dont really have much time during the day and weekends. I did
                                    think of going and juggling for the queues and then leaving my number
                                    with the club. Any ideas?
                                    I would need to pluck up courage to perform though :)

                                    --
                                    Chris
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                                      > The last time I was involved with juggling glowballs in a club some
                                      fscker
                                      > got to the dropped ball before I did and ran off with it.

                                      Last time I had a problem at a gig like that was when a girl pinched
                                      one of the balls, stuck it down her top and dared me to get it back.
                                      Now I'm a shy lad really, but 80 quids worth of juggling ball is 80

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 17, 2003
                                        > What about juggling in night clubs? does anyone do this? I have seen
                                        > a few people with aerotech balls, I have never had the bottle to
                                        take
                                        > mine. What would be the best thing to do when dropping in this
                                        situation?

                                        depends, I usually do my best to come out of the zone a bit, check out
                                        where the ball went, and then go into the 'please give me the ball
                                        back' mime routine, hoping it never rolled under a table or behind
                                        anything or whatever. Sometimes you've just got to shrug and go and
                                        get the bugger though.

                                        I'd be interested on other peoples take on this.

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 18, 2003

                                          Reminds me of a gig in Norwich in a club - on stilts, a girl asked me if I
                                          was looking down her top, and when I said 'no', she pulled it down and asked
                                          me 'what's wrong with them, then?'.

                                          No answer to that one really.

                                          Charlie
                                        • Nick
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 18, 2003
                                            From: "Glyn Hanton" <
                                            > > What about juggling in night clubs? does anyone do this? I have seen
                                            > > a few people with aerotech balls, I have never had the bottle to
                                            > take
                                            > > mine. What would be the best thing to do when dropping in this
                                            > situation?
                                            >
                                            > depends, I usually do my best to come out of the zone a bit, check out
                                            > where the ball went, and then go into the 'please give me the ball
                                            > back' mime routine, hoping it never rolled under a table or behind
                                            > anything or whatever. Sometimes you've just got to shrug and go and
                                            > get the bugger though.
                                            >
                                            > I'd be interested on other peoples take on this.

                                            This depends on your costume and the lighting but, unless you've fitted your
                                            cosi with LEDs or somesuch, the prop is far and away the most visible thing,
                                            not the juggler. Especially me, I dress all in dark colours deliberately so
                                            only the props are really visible. Consequently night clubs are the one
                                            place where I never do any drop lines, gags or fancy recoveries at all, I
                                            don't wait to shrug, I leap to recover the prop and start juggling again as
                                            quick as I possibly can. The dynamics of the relationship between performer
                                            and audience are so different in a night club compared to any other
                                            situation where you are likely to be performing; you will be communicating
                                            directly with such a small proportion of the audience, and that bit only
                                            visually, I think most tactics for dealing with drops just do not work in
                                            that enviroment.

                                            Take care,
                                            NickP.