London Juggling Convention Sat 9 Nov

  • Charlie Holland
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2002
      A quick reminder of what's happening next Saturday. Slackers may want to nip
      off between 4.00 and 6.00 to watch the Lord Mayor's Parade Fireworks on the
      river at 5pm before returning for the show at 8!

      Saturday 9th November from 10am to midnight at The Circus Space.

      Line up for this year's stunning show is:

      Denis Paumier two acts, one called 'Tournemains'. Denis is half
      of the Toon and Denis double act that won a medal in Cirque de Demain
      last year. He studied at France's Centre National des Arts du Cirque

      Sharon Haddock and Kati Yla Hokkala Club swinging routine from the
      teachers on the new MediaCircus CD Rom (which I'm told will be on sale
      here).

      Gandini Juggling Four person passing routine

      Alex Dandridge comedy juggling

      Stewart and Sam comedy club passing number 'The Sun don't shine where
      the Moonshine' from two newly graduated BA Circus students

      David Parga Flamenco styled contact juggling from one newly
      graduated BA Circus student

      Amber and Gemma Acrobatic Balancing (tbc) from two newly graduated BA
      Circus students

      and the continuing tradition of classic film snippets in place of a compere

      Finally/Finale: It being near November 5th we've a special fire finale - the
      first ever lighting and swinging of a pair of authentic one hundred year old
      Swinging Torches!

      Workshops include:
      Cigar Manipulation with Rod Laver
      Club Swinging with Sean Gandini and Kati Yla-Hokkala

      The convention costs £12.50 or £8 for 6 - 15 yrs or £0 for 5 and under.

      Immediately adjacent hotel is the Holiday Inn Express, Old Street.

      Bar and two large juggling halls, traders......

      Only 200 places. To book contact The Circus Space on 020 7729 9522

      Charlie Holland
      Programme Director, The Circus Space
      Coronet Street, London N1 6HD
      Tel: 020 7613 4141 ext 254
      Fax: 020 7729 9422
      e-mail: charlieholland@...
    • Mini Mansell
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2002
        ejc 2003

        August 5th 13th

        just returnd from the site. its nice.

        even nice.

        check out the ryanair website,

        although they wont give a flight price as far away as august the
        flights i randonly just checked to aarhus in denmark (2 hours by
        train from the convention site) costs from 4 pounds all the way
        up to 9 pounds,

        thats right folds 9 quid,.. ruturn in takes is 38 quid. now
        thats brilliant. no reason for anyone to think its to expensive
        to get to this years ejc
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
          > thats right folds 9 quid,.. ruturn in takes is 38 quid. now
          > thats brilliant.

          What's 38 quid ?

          --
          Glyn Hanton
          Loaded Dice Design and Media

          tel : 01438 726248
          mob : 07957 303251
          glyn@...
          www.loadeddice.co.uk
        • Chris Cooke
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
            On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Glyn Hanton wrote:

            :> thats right folds 9 quid,.. ruturn in takes is 38 quid. now
            :> thats brilliant.
            :
            :What's 38 quid ?

            the cost of the whole trip, thats how i saw it...

            --
            Chris
          • Mark Wiggins
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
              Chris Cooke wrote:
              > On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Glyn Hanton wrote:
              >
              > :> thats right folds 9 quid,.. ruturn in takes is 38 quid. now
              > :> thats brilliant.
              > :
              > :What's 38 quid ?
              >
              > the cost of the whole trip, thats how i saw it...

              Yup.

              Translation:

              That's right, folks. 9 pounds sterling one way (return including taxes
              is 38 pounds). Now that's rather good.

              Or something like that. ;-)

              Regards,
              Mark.
            • Adam George
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
                Wow thats great how much is a ticket to the convention and what are the
                dates, I may have to have a look at this.

                Adam

              • paul.seward@bristol.ac.uk
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
                  --On 07 November 2002 17:08 +0000 Mark Wiggins <m.wiggins@...> wrote:

                  >> :> thats right folds 9 quid,.. ruturn in takes is 38 quid. now
                  >> :> thats brilliant.

                  > Translation:
                  >
                  > That's right, folks. 9 pounds sterling one way (return including taxes
                  > is 38 pounds). Now that's rather good.
                  >
                  > Or something like that. ;-)

                  Wow! Theres a skill and a half there! I've spent years reading emails
                  from mini/stoney and I'm not afraid to admit it, that one even had me
                  stumped!

                  I doff my cap to you sir, you are most certainly talented!

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002

                    The North from is he.

                    :-)

                  • nicole taylor
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
                      On Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:17:48 -0000, you wrote:

                      >--On 07 November 2002 17:08 +0000 Mark Wiggins <m.wiggins@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >>> :> thats right folds 9 quid,.. ruturn in takes is 38 quid. now
                      >>> :> thats brilliant.
                      >
                      >> Translation:
                      >>
                      >> That's right, folks. 9 pounds sterling one way (return including taxes
                      >> is 38 pounds). Now that's rather good.
                      >>
                      >> Or something like that. ;-)
                      >
                      >Wow! Theres a skill and a half there! I've spent years reading emails
                      >from mini/stoney and I'm not afraid to admit it, that one even had me
                      >stumped!
                      >
                      >I doff my cap to you sir, you are most certainly talented!
                      >
                      >-Paul

                      ditto! only i went out with him for years, and i still didn't have a
                      bloody clue what he was talking about!

                      nicole
                    • Mini Mansell
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 8, 2002

                            Do I get to plug http://www.lpbk.net/misc/mini_yoda.jpg again?

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 13, 2002
                              For those who hadn't seen it on rec.juggling...

                              --------------------------------------

                              I last went to the London convention around 2 or 3 years ago and it's
                              changed a bit since then - it's now only 1 day, there are no
                              acro/aerial workshops and the pass was ... er... a lot cheaper (a
                              piece of string). However it's still one of the most expensive 1-day
                              conventions at £12.50 a ticket (I know, I helped run Cambridge and we
                              got a lot of hassle for being around a tenner). Generally I got the
                              feeling that there are a few people who really want the event to
                              happen - and end up actually organising it - but a real lack of
                              support from the rest of Circus Space.

                              This has had two effects - one, that the convention felt a little
                              thrown together at the last minute, with very few workshops organised
                              for example, and two, it actually felt rather friendly and
                              non-corporate (unusual for the venue). Due to the latter reason I
                              actually had a very nice day - lots of friends to chat to and throw
                              things at and the usual smattering of new tricks that I might be able
                              to do by this time next year. Or not.

                              Other good things: videos from Charlie Holland's huge collection in
                              the foyer; staff sympathetic to the latecomers, meaning that everyone
                              (225) got in even though the limit was meant to be 200, but how
                              *could* you turn away Tarim, just back from Denmark, or Kate who's got
                              a sprog in the oven; Thai food in the slightly posher Bricklayer's
                              Arms; relaxed atmosphere.

                              Bad things: very high price for one day; only about three workshops;
                              smell of gas in the Combustion Chamber for about an hour at the start;
                              odd lighting in the same room; smelly toilets (mind you they always
                              have been at CS since I first used the new building, in 1994 I think);
                              'all day' multistorey parking that closed at 5pm.

                              The show was a stonker though. Sitting next to another Cambridge
                              juggler who was at his first convention, I really wanted a good show
                              to prove to him it was worth the money. We had Denis Paumier with lots
                              of oddly beautiful stuff involving perspex tubes, single silicon balls
                              and twisted bits of tubing - modern and interesting; Steward and Sam
                              (two CS students) with a 'gangster' style juggling piece (sorry the
                              wheel fell off your car, guys, but it was hilarious!); some simple,
                              strong acrobalance; a rather short but nicely done contact piece; the
                              camp comedy stylings of Alex Dandridge; and the Gandinis doing what
                              they do best with an amazing four-person passing routine, done with a
                              spring in their step and a smile and at least 5 more clubs than any
                              other group would have used. John Blanchard finished up with fire
                              swinging, using some 100-year old torches being lit for the first
                              time. Interspersed were some amazing short films from Charlie's
                              collection complete with some comedy NTSC/PAL incompatibility problems
                              :-)

                              So...in conclusion, we all had a lovely time - but Circus Space as a
                              whole needs to realise that they should get behind the organisers of
                              the event and make it more for the money - this is meant to be the
                              UK's premier circus school, and that *includes* juggling. Convention
                              goers may not end up as your students - but they are definitely part
                              of your present and future audience.

                              Charlie
                              Cambridge
                              *charlie (at) juggler (dot) net