[uk_jugglers] Re: BoB Bristol

  • The 'Reverend' Al.
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 1999
      Mini asked:

      > ok, its been over a day now.
      > who will do the first review of BoB.

      I couldn't make that one I'm afraid. Anyway, I've only
      just finished the Cambridge review, which is now
      available from our website, in the newsletter section...

      Alan S>
      http://www.imperfect.org
    • Matt Shacklady
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 1999
        mini wrote:

        > ok, its been over a day now.
        >
        > who will do the first review of BoB.

        I know I am an organiser, but I will give you my review from the
        organizational point of view of BoB.

        Everything seemed to come together with regards the organisers on the
        day, everyone helped out and all jobs got done by willing hands.
        some people complained about the signs. There were 28 of them out around
        Bristol, but I think they were too small (A4 size) and not bright enough
        to attract peoples attention. So if anyone else is thinking of
        organising a convention and making signs my hints to you are to make
        them A3 and fluorescent.
        The final number of bodies there is reckoned to be 170 give or take a
        kid or two. We broke even but we don't know what profit we have yet.
        Any profity will probably be stored up and used next year, or be pushed
        back into the Unversity CircuSoc.
        The large hall was comfortably full. Some people complained that the
        air-con messed with their patterns (specially ring jugglers) but it was
        either that, or have everyone overheat. The music was spot-on.
        The games - well they were pretty much the same as everywhere else. It's
        the first time I have ever run 'the games' so you can all complain I
        knew I could of done better. The 'make a sentence' game didn't turn out
        as planned, I think it was too far removed from juggling to satisfy the
        majority. The music was brilliant during the games, it was the smelliest
        melted gorgonzola cheesy sandwich you could think of!
        Beard were great, they donated lots of prizes which were gratefully
        received and from what I can make out they made a healthy amount of
        money.
        The food was pretty rubbish I must admit. The cafe made the mistake of
        underestimating the numbers of hungry jugglers wanting food and were
        hopelessly understaffed, that coupled with them closing every now and
        again during the day (at the most important times) to regroup and reform
        meant that the food was pretty bad (any food poisening cases, contact
        the uni) :)
        Beer was beer. Not sure if it was worth having the bar open all day, as
        only a few people used it, but it was full in the evening.
        The show... well I don't think it was the best that people had ever seen
        but it was quite enjoyable. I leave it to other people to comment on
        individual acts. I think the show was probably just about the right
        length, and I think it was nice that it finished early enough that
        people could go to the bar and drink for another hour or so and juggle
        if they wanted.
        The hall that was available for sleeping and juggling all night was only
        finalised at the last minute so we couldn't really publicise it. There
        was only 5 people who wanted to use it, it was a bit expensive for jsut
        them so we didn't hire it. The other problems with the idea are
        - the hall was in another part of Bristol and people didn't want to have
        to move and settle somewhere else
        - there was a no alcohol rule
        - there was a no loud music rule
        Hopefully we will sort this all out for next year(if there is a next
        year) and turn it into a proper 2 day convention.
        All in all we were pleased with it for our first convention. We
        hopefully will learn from our mistakes and next time put on an even
        better one than before.

        --
        Matt