Re: [uk_jugglers] Lancaster

  • Sam Vines
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
      Cheap, Cheerful and very sociable - that's what Lancaster was this year to
      me.

      I thought the crew made a top effort from a workshop point of view and
      though no show was a bit of a surprise, it didn't matter 'cos it meant the
      Yorkies (+ friends) could go out for a meal and not be late back!

      I don't think finishing at 9:30 was a bad thing, it meant we were back in
      York in time to have our own party, sleep in our own beds and have a lie in
      on Sunday morning, before going out for more food Sunday lunch time.

      If anyone's out and about in York this Sunday (18th Nov), there's a plan to
      meet for dinner in Lendal Cellars at 1pm.

      *Blatent Plug*
      ChocFest 26th Jan, featuring the next edition of the ChocFest Chocolate Cake
      Challenge.

      Sam

      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
        --- In uk_jugglers@y..., mini <mini@j...> wrote:
        > there is a calendars page on this eg roup if everyone who is
        running
        > a fest adds their details it makes it easy for others to arrange

        IMHO, it's better to have fewer points to get this information.
        There are currently events listed on www.juggling.org,
        www.jugglingdb.com, and www.unicycle.uk.com (and maybe other sites).

        While it's nice to have different lists, it seems a better idea to go
        with the mechanisms we already have rather than introduce yet more.
        Clashes should be avoided. We don't want there to be any doubt about
        what is the definitive list.

        Dave
      • mike_j_armstrong@yahoo.co.uk
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
          Mini said:
          >> there is a calendars page on this eg roup if everyone who is
          >> running a fest adds their details it makes it easy for others to
          >> arrange

          and Barnesy replied:
          >IMHO, it's better to have fewer points to get this information.
          >There are currently events listed on www.juggling.org,
          >www.jugglingdb.com, and www.unicycle.uk.com (and maybe other
          sites).
          >While it's nice to have different lists, it seems a better idea to
          >go with the mechanisms we already have rather than introduce yet
          >more.
          >Clashes should be avoided. We don't want there to be any doubt
          >about what is the definitive list.

          As far as I'm concerned the definitive list is the one that Tarim
          maintains and is published both at www.juggling.org and
          www.jugglingdb.com. The calender on this list is useful as it posts
          automatic reminders to the group, but it's a publicity tool not a
          definitive list of all juggling events. Can anyone think of a way of
          converging on a single location for this info?
        • mike_j_armstrong@yahoo.co.uk
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
            Mini said:
            >> there is a calendars page on this eg roup if everyone who is
            >> running a fest adds their details it makes it easy for others to
            >> arrange

            and Barnesy replied:
            >IMHO, it's better to have fewer points to get this information.
            >There are currently events listed on www.juggling.org,
            >www.jugglingdb.com, and www.unicycle.uk.com (and maybe other
            sites).
            >While it's nice to have different lists, it seems a better idea to
            >go with the mechanisms we already have rather than introduce yet
            >more.
            >Clashes should be avoided. We don't want there to be any doubt
            >about what is the definitive list.

            As far as I'm concerned the definitive list is the one that Tarim
            maintains and is published both at www.juggling.org and
            www.jugglingdb.com. The calender on this list is useful as it posts
            automatic reminders to the group, but it's a publicity tool not a
            definitive list of all juggling events. Can anyone think of a way of
            converging on a single location for this info?
          • Roger Davies
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
              The list that is held on the unicycle.com web site is slanted more towards
              unicyclists, it shows some events that are really only unicycle events so a
              merger would not really work very well.

              It is worth mentioning at this point that the calendar will be moving
              slightly from today (I hope). The new address will be
              http://www.unicycle.uk.com/calendar.asp and it will be data-base driven
              (from this weekend I think). We are just waiting for the domain transfer at
              the moment.... 7 days later! I will add a link to the old address to
              re-direct it anyway but it is worth mentioning to this group that this will
              be happening.

              Roger

              __________________________

              The UK's Unicycle Source
              http://www.unicycle.uk.com
              __________________________
              > >> there is a calendars page on this eg roup if everyone who is
              > >> running a fest adds their details it makes it easy for others to
              > >> arrange
              >
              > and Barnesy replied:
              > >IMHO, it's better to have fewer points to get this information.
              > >There are currently events listed on www.juggling.org,
              > >www.jugglingdb.com, and www.unicycle.uk.com (and maybe other
              > sites).
              > >While it's nice to have different lists, it seems a better idea to
              > >go with the mechanisms we already have rather than introduce yet
              > >more.
              > >Clashes should be avoided. We don't want there to be any doubt
              > >about what is the definitive list.
              >
              > As far as I'm concerned the definitive list is the one that Tarim
              > maintains and is published both at www.juggling.org and
              > www.jugglingdb.com. The calender on this list is useful as it posts
              > automatic reminders to the group, but it's a publicity tool not a
              > definitive list of all juggling events. Can anyone think of a way of
              > converging on a single location for this info?

            • mini
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
                ->Anyway, who died and made Mini the god of all convention organisers?
                ->
                ->-Paul

                i simply say i may not go back and i get this grief.

                ok, heres more of my opinion

                i love juggling conventions i love weekdns away with my mates, i love
                parties i love juggling i love shows

                i dont love 6 hours driving in a day to go to a juggling club
                in a nice room.

                to anyone who is planning a festy i think mike armstrong said
                reciently

                For what it's worth I want:
                A pleasant hall with high ceilings and good lights
                Good food
                A sh1t-hot show
                A party afterwards and somewhere to crash

                so 1 in 4 does not really cut it.. simple as that. i do appreciate
                they may be new organisers and kudos on them for doing it, but do
                some reserch please see what yout target audience (us) require and
                go some way to providing it..

                take all the applause after when it goes well, a but dont get upset if
                your told it was crap

                My Homepage
                www.minimansell.com

                The Worldwide juggling clubs listings
                www.juggler.net/jugglingclubs
                www.jugglingdb.com/clubs/

                Jesters
                http://come.to/jesters
              • Sarah Miller
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
                  On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:32:27 +0000 Paul Seward <Paul.Seward@...> wrote:

                  > Honestly, I leave you all alone for a weekend and look what happens...
                  > (That'll teach me to abandon a convention in favour of getting absolubtly
                  > trollied in warrington... :-)

                  > All I have gleaned so far is
                  > a) mini won't be back next year
                  > b) it was in Lancaster
                  > c) I wasn't there
                  > d) there possibly wasn't a show.
                  > e) it might not have been the first Lancaster, but it was possibly a completely new
                  > organisers team with no pior experience
                  >
                  > Hardly a lot for me to go on so far as deciding wether I missed out on anything...

                  I may be compleatly wrong here, after all I couldn't go to it either, BUT I
                  thought this years LJC by SLUJ
                  was
                  -In Lancaster ( town not the university campus which is miles away and very
                  windswept and has no really good pubs for miles)( the town on the other
                  hand has lots, which one did people end up in?)

                  and - was the fist LJC after a gap of a few years , which with Sluj being
                  a student soc I would imagine means a totaly new set of people.

                  Add one to t'ther and of course you get a convention not the same as the
                  earlier LJCs.

                  But could someone let us what did happen there please, was Wiliamsons park
                  used for a unicycle orienteering game, did any body teqch their radical
                  fish to swim in the front lake, did the lecturer from St martins with the
                  Penny Farthing bike show up?

                  sarah

                  --
                  Unicycle Meet and Uni barn Dance , Sat Dec 1st
                  Uni meets Jan 12th, Feb 8th, March 9th 2002
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
                    In your last message ( 15/11/01 5:03 pm ), you said...

                    > take all the applause after when it goes well, a but dont get upset if
                    > your told it was crap
                    But look on the bright side, Mini said he wouldn't be back next year, which
                    will drastically up your attendance figures.... ;-)

                    N.
                  • ewans.lists@blueyonder.co.uk
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 17, 2001
                      > If anyone's out and about in York this Sunday (18th Nov), there's a
                      > plan to meet for dinner in Lendal Cellars at 1pm.

                      See any Yorkies at the pub then..
                      Ewano..