Re: [uk_jugglers] Lancaster

  • Ewano
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
      > ->Fair play, but that kind of review could hurt some peoples feelings.
      > ->Especially if it's thier first juggling convention.
      >

      > it was the 5th (i think) lancaster university juggling society
      > halloween juggling festiva;l, even said so on the t shirts.

      Bugger it, I'm not interested. Talk to the hand because my face is covered
      in acid and melting off my skull..
    • Sam Vines
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
        Cheap, Cheerful and very sociable - that's what Lancaster was this year to
        me.

        I thought the crew made a top effort from a workshop point of view and
        though no show was a bit of a surprise, it didn't matter 'cos it meant the
        Yorkies (+ friends) could go out for a meal and not be late back!

        I don't think finishing at 9:30 was a bad thing, it meant we were back in
        York in time to have our own party, sleep in our own beds and have a lie in
        on Sunday morning, before going out for more food Sunday lunch time.

        If anyone's out and about in York this Sunday (18th Nov), there's a plan to
        meet for dinner in Lendal Cellars at 1pm.

        *Blatent Plug*
        ChocFest 26th Jan, featuring the next edition of the ChocFest Chocolate Cake
        Challenge.

        Sam

        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
          --- In uk_jugglers@y..., mini <mini@j...> wrote:
          > there is a calendars page on this eg roup if everyone who is
          running
          > a fest adds their details it makes it easy for others to arrange

          IMHO, it's better to have fewer points to get this information.
          There are currently events listed on www.juggling.org,
          www.jugglingdb.com, and www.unicycle.uk.com (and maybe other sites).

          While it's nice to have different lists, it seems a better idea to go
          with the mechanisms we already have rather than introduce yet more.
          Clashes should be avoided. We don't want there to be any doubt about
          what is the definitive list.

          Dave
        • mike_j_armstrong@yahoo.co.uk
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
            Mini said:
            >> there is a calendars page on this eg roup if everyone who is
            >> running a fest adds their details it makes it easy for others to
            >> arrange

            and Barnesy replied:
            >IMHO, it's better to have fewer points to get this information.
            >There are currently events listed on www.juggling.org,
            >www.jugglingdb.com, and www.unicycle.uk.com (and maybe other
            sites).
            >While it's nice to have different lists, it seems a better idea to
            >go with the mechanisms we already have rather than introduce yet
            >more.
            >Clashes should be avoided. We don't want there to be any doubt
            >about what is the definitive list.

            As far as I'm concerned the definitive list is the one that Tarim
            maintains and is published both at www.juggling.org and
            www.jugglingdb.com. The calender on this list is useful as it posts
            automatic reminders to the group, but it's a publicity tool not a
            definitive list of all juggling events. Can anyone think of a way of
            converging on a single location for this info?
          • mike_j_armstrong@yahoo.co.uk
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
              Mini said:
              >> there is a calendars page on this eg roup if everyone who is
              >> running a fest adds their details it makes it easy for others to
              >> arrange

              and Barnesy replied:
              >IMHO, it's better to have fewer points to get this information.
              >There are currently events listed on www.juggling.org,
              >www.jugglingdb.com, and www.unicycle.uk.com (and maybe other
              sites).
              >While it's nice to have different lists, it seems a better idea to
              >go with the mechanisms we already have rather than introduce yet
              >more.
              >Clashes should be avoided. We don't want there to be any doubt
              >about what is the definitive list.

              As far as I'm concerned the definitive list is the one that Tarim
              maintains and is published both at www.juggling.org and
              www.jugglingdb.com. The calender on this list is useful as it posts
              automatic reminders to the group, but it's a publicity tool not a
              definitive list of all juggling events. Can anyone think of a way of
              converging on a single location for this info?
            • Roger Davies
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
                The list that is held on the unicycle.com web site is slanted more towards
                unicyclists, it shows some events that are really only unicycle events so a
                merger would not really work very well.

                It is worth mentioning at this point that the calendar will be moving
                slightly from today (I hope). The new address will be
                http://www.unicycle.uk.com/calendar.asp and it will be data-base driven
                (from this weekend I think). We are just waiting for the domain transfer at
                the moment.... 7 days later! I will add a link to the old address to
                re-direct it anyway but it is worth mentioning to this group that this will
                be happening.

                Roger

                __________________________

                The UK's Unicycle Source
                http://www.unicycle.uk.com
                __________________________
                > >> there is a calendars page on this eg roup if everyone who is
                > >> running a fest adds their details it makes it easy for others to
                > >> arrange
                >
                > and Barnesy replied:
                > >IMHO, it's better to have fewer points to get this information.
                > >There are currently events listed on www.juggling.org,
                > >www.jugglingdb.com, and www.unicycle.uk.com (and maybe other
                > sites).
                > >While it's nice to have different lists, it seems a better idea to
                > >go with the mechanisms we already have rather than introduce yet
                > >more.
                > >Clashes should be avoided. We don't want there to be any doubt
                > >about what is the definitive list.
                >
                > As far as I'm concerned the definitive list is the one that Tarim
                > maintains and is published both at www.juggling.org and
                > www.jugglingdb.com. The calender on this list is useful as it posts
                > automatic reminders to the group, but it's a publicity tool not a
                > definitive list of all juggling events. Can anyone think of a way of
                > converging on a single location for this info?

              • mini
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
                  ->Anyway, who died and made Mini the god of all convention organisers?
                  ->
                  ->-Paul

                  i simply say i may not go back and i get this grief.

                  ok, heres more of my opinion

                  i love juggling conventions i love weekdns away with my mates, i love
                  parties i love juggling i love shows

                  i dont love 6 hours driving in a day to go to a juggling club
                  in a nice room.

                  to anyone who is planning a festy i think mike armstrong said
                  reciently

                  For what it's worth I want:
                  A pleasant hall with high ceilings and good lights
                  Good food
                  A sh1t-hot show
                  A party afterwards and somewhere to crash

                  so 1 in 4 does not really cut it.. simple as that. i do appreciate
                  they may be new organisers and kudos on them for doing it, but do
                  some reserch please see what yout target audience (us) require and
                  go some way to providing it..

                  take all the applause after when it goes well, a but dont get upset if
                  your told it was crap

                  My Homepage
                  www.minimansell.com

                  The Worldwide juggling clubs listings
                  www.juggler.net/jugglingclubs
                  www.jugglingdb.com/clubs/

                  Jesters
                  http://come.to/jesters
                • Sarah Miller
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
                    On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:32:27 +0000 Paul Seward <Paul.Seward@...> wrote:

                    > Honestly, I leave you all alone for a weekend and look what happens...
                    > (That'll teach me to abandon a convention in favour of getting absolubtly
                    > trollied in warrington... :-)

                    > All I have gleaned so far is
                    > a) mini won't be back next year
                    > b) it was in Lancaster
                    > c) I wasn't there
                    > d) there possibly wasn't a show.
                    > e) it might not have been the first Lancaster, but it was possibly a completely new
                    > organisers team with no pior experience
                    >
                    > Hardly a lot for me to go on so far as deciding wether I missed out on anything...

                    I may be compleatly wrong here, after all I couldn't go to it either, BUT I
                    thought this years LJC by SLUJ
                    was
                    -In Lancaster ( town not the university campus which is miles away and very
                    windswept and has no really good pubs for miles)( the town on the other
                    hand has lots, which one did people end up in?)

                    and - was the fist LJC after a gap of a few years , which with Sluj being
                    a student soc I would imagine means a totaly new set of people.

                    Add one to t'ther and of course you get a convention not the same as the
                    earlier LJCs.

                    But could someone let us what did happen there please, was Wiliamsons park
                    used for a unicycle orienteering game, did any body teqch their radical
                    fish to swim in the front lake, did the lecturer from St martins with the
                    Penny Farthing bike show up?

                    sarah

                    --
                    Unicycle Meet and Uni barn Dance , Sat Dec 1st
                    Uni meets Jan 12th, Feb 8th, March 9th 2002
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 15, 2001
                      In your last message ( 15/11/01 5:03 pm ), you said...

                      > take all the applause after when it goes well, a but dont get upset if
                      > your told it was crap
                      But look on the bright side, Mini said he wouldn't be back next year, which
                      will drastically up your attendance figures.... ;-)

                      N.
                    • ewans.lists@blueyonder.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 17, 2001
                        > If anyone's out and about in York this Sunday (18th Nov), there's a
                        > plan to meet for dinner in Lendal Cellars at 1pm.

                        See any Yorkies at the pub then..
                        Ewano..