Bristol

  • Ian Palmer
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 15, 2001
      On the subject of Bristol,
      who is hosting the empire party/meal/pissup this year??

      (must get tux cleaned)

      Ian
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 15, 2001
        I can remember something about us saying that we'd bring the Dome again, as
        long as someone else hosted the do. I'll check with Mark T....

      • Mark Tillotson
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 15, 2001
          Charlie Hull wrote:

          > I can remember something about us saying that we'd bring the Dome again, as
          > long as someone else hosted the do. I'll check with Mark T....
          >
          > Charlie

          Definitely - it'll be the only chance to put
          the thing up this year (and hence dry it out from
          last year before it gets rained on again).

          I will also be bringing the strange tricycle-skates
          picked up in a charity shop for a tenner to see
          how they run down that hill. Imagine a small
          adjustable tricycle for each foot.

          __Mark T
        • mjneale@iname.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 15, 2001
            --- In uk_jugglers@y..., Nigel <nigel@j...> wrote:
            > ...And there is truth in the rumour that it's not in the usual
            field this
            > year.. I just heard from Geraldine, and apparently they can't use
            the end
            > field this year, so we'll be in the lower field where the
            toilet/shower
            > block is.. a bit less intimate, more awkward to get to the garage,
            but much
            > less sneaky squatting for you girlies and a fantastic view as you
            crawl out
            > of your tent...

            Does anyone know if we still get camping in the normal field where
            the vans go or are we all just in the one field? Also, which end is
            John going to stick the tops and how much time are we going to spend
            running after props rolling down the hill?

            Going to be a very different Bristol this year ....

            Mark
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 16, 2001
              The other day ( well, 16/8/01 7:55 am actually..), you said...

              > and how much time are we going to spend
              > running after props rolling down the hill?
              Well if you will *keep* dropping.... :-)

              > Going to be a very different Bristol this year ....
              Nah, it'll be exactly the same only different, just like it always is..
              ( At least it will be once we've all finished wandering around like lost
              sheep cos we can't put our tents in our usual reserved spaces...)

              There wasn't any word on the parking...

              What I want to know is has anyone put in the order for wall-to-wall sunshine
              this year?, I'm pee'd off with getting rained on...

              N.
            • Paul Seward
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 16, 2001
                >>> nigel@... 08/16/01 11:45am >>>
                >
                >What I want to know is has anyone put in the order for wall-to-wall sunshine
                >this year?, I'm pee'd off with getting rained on...

                and you didn't even suffer the Dutch weather! (Moving my tent away from
                the middle of the lake it was in mid week was not all *that* amusing)

                -Paul
                www.lpbk.net - Danger Will Robinson!
              • Ali Close
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 16, 2001

                  > > Going to be a very different Bristol this year ....
                  > Nah, it'll be exactly the same only different, just like it always is..
                  Which is pretty much what makes Bristol Bristol, really!

                  > ( At least it will be once we've all finished wandering around like lost
                  > sheep cos we can't put our tents in our usual reserved spaces...)
                  Oh bother, I guess that means I can't rely on autopilot to get back to my
                  tent at some indeterminable time of night/morning then.

                  > What I want to know is has anyone put in the order for wall-to-wall
                  sunshine
                  > this year?, I'm pee'd off with getting rained on...
                  I've ordered permenant sunshine for Mostyn, if you like, I could tack
                  Bristol onto the order too - the only problem is that sometimes these orders
                  get lost in the post, but it's worth a try . . .

                  Al

                  > N.

                • Ali Close
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 16, 2001

                    > and you didn't even suffer the Dutch weather! (Moving my tent away from
                    > the middle of the lake it was in mid week was not all *that* amusing)

                    Not to mention the interesting experience of sinking rapidly into the field
                    if you stood still for too long trying to pull out the tent pegs to pack up
                    . . . and trying to find a solid piece of ground to fold and roll up the
                    tent!! I guess that leads us to another essential convention-camping piece
                    of equipment - a light-weight folding floatation device for pitching yer
                    tent on. Anyone got one??

                    Ali
                  • Ewano
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 16, 2001
                      > Going to be a very different Bristol this year ....

                      Good, I think it could do with a shakeup. Life would be pretty boring if
                      everything stayed the same.

                      Ewano..
                    • mike bridge
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 16, 2001
                        > > and you didn't even suffer the Dutch weather! (Moving my tent away from
                        > > the middle of the lake it was in mid week was not all *that* amusing)
                        >
                        > Not to mention the interesting experience of sinking rapidly into the
                        field
                        > if you stood still for too long trying to pull out the tent pegs to pack
                        up
                        > . . . and trying to find a solid piece of ground to fold and roll up the
                        > tent!! I guess that leads us to another essential convention-camping
                        piece
                        > of equipment - a light-weight folding floatation device for pitching yer
                        > tent on. Anyone got one??

                        nope but i'm sure that we'l have a significant supply of multifunctional
                        processed flat pack furniture (Pallets) at Brissol, maybe Ewan could set
                        something up?

                        Mike
                        (who hasn't had a break since Cardiff and cant wait - rain or shine or even
                        rain and more rain)
                      • Danny Colyer
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 16, 2001
                          Mike Bridge wrote:
                          > nope but i'm sure that we'l have a significant supply of multifunctional
                          > processed flat pack furniture (Pallets) at Brissol, maybe Ewan could set
                          > something up?

                          Speaking of which, does anyone with appropriate transport fancy picking up a
                          load of fence panels to fuel the fires of Bristol? I've got a couple of
                          dozen to get rid of - and rather conveniently I live in Bristol. Otherwise
                          they'll go in a skip.

                          --
                          Danny Colyer ( danny@... )
                          http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 16, 2001
                            > > nope but i'm sure that we'l have a significant supply of multifunctional
                            > > processed flat pack furniture (Pallets) at Brissol, maybe Ewan could
                            set
                            > > something up?
                            >
                            > Speaking of which, does anyone with appropriate transport fancy picking up
                            > load of fence panels to fuel the fires of Bristol? I've got a couple of
                            > dozen to get rid of - and rather conveniently I live in Bristol.
                            Otherwise
                            > they'll go in a skip.

                            If you can get em there, don't burn em till I've had a look at em.

                            If they are the type with the wooden frame which has thin wooden panels
                            (bout four foot long, a foot wide and about half a centimeter thick) they
                            make fantabulous springy backed chairs..!

                            *Smiles in glee at the thought of springy backed chairs*

                            Ewano
                          • mjneale@iname.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 17, 2001
                              --- In uk_jugglers@y..., Nigel <nigel@j...> wrote:
                              > What I want to know is has anyone put in the order for wall-to-wall
                              > sunshine this year?, I'm pee'd off with getting rained on...

                              For those of you who suffered the Dutch weather last week, I just
                              thought I'd cheer you all up by letting you know it's been a scorcher
                              here in Amsterdam this week. On Wednesday it was apparently 34
                              degrees (and felt like it) and today is blue skies again.

                              Coming back to the UK this weekend so I'm expecting rain again :-(

                              Mark
                            • TLMB
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 28, 2009
                                Photos:
                                http://www.tlmb.net/galleries/Bristol09/index.html

                                Under new management, and a new name, many were wondering "What will
                                it be like this year?". The worriers need not have troubled
                                themselves, as Bristol (yes, that's what we're going to call it,
                                whatever the official name) was pretty much the usual, bar a few minor
                                tweaks.

                                No caravan reception, but an army tent offered the usual welcome cuppa
                                and cake, plus a chance to sign up to the not really called top trumps
                                jugglers game. Heading down to the field, and shock! horror! the big
                                top arrangement had been changed. While it was good to have the
                                workshop tent, cafe top and big top all connected, it was a shame to
                                lose the view, and the result was that the 'volleyclub area' behind
                                the tops was sparsely populated throughout the week. The cafe area has
                                also lost some atmosphere over recent years, and some further thought
                                needs to be given to this to bring it back. More sensible opening
                                times would help a lot - after 9pm for Saturday night dinner?! Good
                                grief.

                                New fire lanes meant a few people lost 'their' spot, but there ended
                                up being plenty of room for everyone, even at the end of the week.
                                Bristol is the pro's post-summer chill-out fest, and it was great to
                                meet up with many old faces that I hadn't had a chance to see in the
                                last year. There was also the usual conversational mumblings of "Hey,
                                where's X this year? How slack!". Absentees, shame on you.

                                I spent Tuesday afternoon on reception desk, with fak, which was a
                                nice chance to meet new faces and play a few games, as well as decide
                                on how strong my juggling force was, and what my tag line would be
                                (Curse you, Danny!).

                                There were the usual camp fires evening chill outs, although I somehow
                                missed most of that this year. I think I didn't actually juggle until
                                Monday, when I joined Charlie in a spot of BBU-ing. One evening Ewano,
                                Hairy and I had an epic battle of 5 club endurance, followed by a very
                                silly and exhausting 5 club tag run.

                                I missed the fire show on Weds, but did play in the backgammon
                                tourney. Third round knock-out for me, but well done Simon. There was
                                a different kind of tourney the next night, which lasted rather
                                longer. Although I won no prize, I did manage to become top of two of
                                Hairy's stats, so... er, that's all right then. Convention-resurector
                                Dave was a popular winner. Second place Ben was an astounding comedy
                                act throughout - "Can't you jusht place my blinds for me?".
                                Introducing Simon, Mark, & Rob to Snorta was excellent fun, as was all
                                the other gameplay in the Laid Back Lounge all week.

                                Friday night show had the usual jam-packed tent, with a new side-on
                                stage arrangement which worked pretty well, I thought. Poems were
                                forgotten, unicycles weren't ridden, and belts were rejected. The
                                standout highlight for me was Captain Petey's Baby Dragonfly Flight
                                Training School - The best poi act I've ever seen, and I highly
                                recommend it to any convention show bookers. I was really pleased to
                                see Angie's UV hula show, as I managed to miss it 3 times at
                                Glastonbury - skills and top gags too. Jon Udry closed with a top set
                                of the hardcore stuff, and it was great to see him enjoying himself
                                onstage - looking very relaxed, and being very funny in places too.
                                Thanks to Ben and gang for organising.

                                Saturday's games were compèred by Mark BMC with élan (or was it a
                                cocktail?). I was happy to win Gladiators (staff book - thanks
                                Butterfingersbooks!), but gutted to come second in the money game.
                                Monsters were brief, best tricks went on a bit as usual, a little kid
                                didn't win the uni gladiators, trumps confuddled everyone, diabolos
                                weren't boxed, balls and clubs were Endured, and the sun came out for
                                a lovely afternoon for all. There was a renegade show on Saturday
                                night, which I missed, but think is a much better idea than the old
                                after-the-Friday-show renegade of years gone by.

                                There were cats, wood burners, tent-golf, bacon sarnies, t-shirt
                                rivalries, palet furniture, kendamas, family fires, cakes, rumours of
                                restaurants, punctures, ankle injuries, volleyclub, hugs, hoops,
                                hippies, slack-ropes, moths, hilarious pirate passing, and generally
                                just a great time.

                                Many thanks to Dave & Judy for picking up John C's baton, and to Matt
                                & Danny & all the others who helped out to make sure Bristol lived on.

                                The Void
                                Doesn't blame Ewano for the 8-3 call

                                --
                                TLMB tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees : 7 new designs!
                              • Nog Wilde
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 28, 2009
                                  What is "Pirate passing " ???????????????

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 4, 2009
                                    Hello folks,

                                    Late notice as usual, but BoB has been confirmed for Jan 30th 2010.
                                    http://www.juggler.net/bob for more info.
                                    IJDb users can add themselves to the list of attendees here: http://www.jugglingdb.com/events/index.php?id=7639

                                    See you there.

                                    The Void
                                    Buk!

                                    --
                                    TLMB tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees : 13 designs!
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 14, 2009
                                      Schools and Scouts hail changes to vetting scheme - bbc website

                                      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8410912.stm

                                      www.loadeddice.co.uk
                                    • jonathan the jester
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 6, 2010
                                        Happy New Decade...

                                        Why so quiet you luverleee peepol.

                                        Schools and Scouts hail changes to vetting scheme - bbc website

                                        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8410912.stm

                                        www.loadeddice.co.uk

                                      • dave booth
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 7, 2010

                                          From: jonathan the jester <j.jester@...>
                                          Subject: [uk_jugglers] Is there life or are you all practicing your yoyo skills.
                                          To: uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com
                                          Date: Wednesday, 6 January, 2010, 22:49

                                          Happy New Decade...

                                          Why so quiet you luverleee peepol.

                                          Schools and Scouts hail changes to vetting scheme - bbc website

                                          http://news. bbc.co.uk/ 1/hi/education/ 8410912.stm

                                          www.loadeddice. co.uk

                                        • abbyfrary
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 7, 2010