Re: [uk_jugglers] Silly game with the IJDB

  • Paul Seward
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 2, 2001
      >>> orin@... 06/29/01 08:17pm >>>
      >Go to the Interactive club locator in the clubs section, zoom out as far as
      >you can go & with one attempt try to locate your club with the cross hair.
      >
      >My first attempt was 11.5km away.

      I bow to your superior skill.. I managed 46.9 (Second attempt, but the first
      doesn't count... I moved the mouse slightly during the double click and ended
      up somewhere near portsmouth.)

      -Paul
      www.lpbk.net - //bobbins/ - anyone able to explain that?
    • Luke Burrage
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 2, 2001
        --- Paul Seward <Paul.Seward@...>
        wrote: > >>> orin@... 06/29/01 08:17pm >>>
        > >Go to the Interactive club locator in the clubs
        > section, zoom out as far as
        > >you can go & with one attempt try to locate your
        > club with the cross hair.
        > >
        > >My first attempt was 11.5km away.
        >
        > I bow to your superior skill.. I managed 46.9
        > (Second attempt, but the first
        > doesn't count... I moved the mouse slightly during
        > the double click and ended
        > up somewhere near portsmouth.)

        BOW TO ME!

        The 15 clubs closest to (54.76,358.40):

        1.4 km : Durham City Jugglers, Durham, England
        27.1 km : Fehnam Juggling Club, Newcastle-upon-Tyne,
        England
        34.0 km : Cleveland Community Circus, Middlesbrough,
        England

        =====
        luke burrage's thing on the net:
        http://www.lukeburrage.co.uk
        For a laugh, check it out.

      • Ali Williams
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 3, 2001
          OK having been on tour for a few weeks came back to try out this silly game
          and have lost the IJDB url . I had it in my favorites but it appears to have
          changed to some reasearch site for Uni of leeds. Can someone give it to me
          again.
          Ali
          > > >Go to the Interactive club locator in the clubs
          > > section, zoom out as far as
          > > >you can go & with one attempt try to locate your
          > > club with the cross hair.
          > > >
          > > >My first attempt was 11.5km away.
          > >
          > > I bow to your superior skill.. I managed 46.9
          > > (Second attempt, but the first
          > > doesn't count... I moved the mouse slightly during
          > > the double click and ended
          > > up somewhere near portsmouth.)
          >
          > BOW TO ME!
          >
          > The 15 clubs closest to (54.76,358.40):
          >
          > 1.4 km : Durham City Jugglers, Durham, England
          > 27.1 km : Fehnam Juggling Club, Newcastle-upon-Tyne,
          > England
          > 34.0 km : Cleveland Community Circus, Middlesbrough,
          > England
          >

          > =====
          > luke burrage's thing on the net:
          > http://www.lukeburrage.co.uk
          > For a laugh, check it out.

        • Mike Armstrong
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 3, 2001
            >>> ali.cirkusgirl@... 03/07/01 09:53:55 >>>
            >OK having been on tour for a few weeks came back to try out this silly >game and have lost the IJDB url . I had it in my favorites but it appears to >have changed to some reasearch site for Uni of leeds. Can someone give >it to me again.
            >Ali

            That'll be cos Colin was hosting the test version on his own machine in a research lab at the Uni of Leeds. It's now fully live at www.jugglingdb.com

            (And my pathetic attempt is 26.4km from all three of the clubs in Leeds)

            > > >Go to the Interactive club locator in the clubs
            > > section, zoom out as far as
            > > >you can go & with one attempt try to locate your
            > > club with the cross hair.
            > > >
            > > >My first attempt was 11.5km away.
            > >
            > > I bow to your superior skill.. I managed 46.9
            > > (Second attempt, but the first
            > > doesn't count... I moved the mouse slightly during
            > > the double click and ended
            > > up somewhere near portsmouth.)
            >
            > BOW TO ME!
            >
            > The 15 clubs closest to (54.76,358.40):
            >
            > 1.4 km : Durham City Jugglers, Durham, England
            > 27.1 km : Fehnam Juggling Club, Newcastle-upon-Tyne,
            > England
            > 34.0 km : Cleveland Community Circus, Middlesbrough,
            > England
            >

            > =====
            > luke burrage's thing on the net:
            > http://www.lukeburrage.co.uk
            > For a laugh, check it out.

            *
            This message is confidential as it contains information about the person we are sending it to. If you have received this message by mistake, please delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

            If this message contains information that you have requested from us please see our standard notice for details of how you may use that information. If the notice is not attached and you require a copy please telephone 0845 9333111 and ask for the customer contact.

            For further information about the Environment Agency call the number above or look at our web site at http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 3, 2001
              I've got a Mac, I don't have a left and right button....

              ( which is a kinda moot point cos apparently I don't have Java enabled in my
              browser so I can't see the map anyway, but if I did... )

              N.
            • Rob Stone
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 3, 2001
                >I've got a Mac, I don't have a left and right button....
                >
                >( which is a kinda moot point cos apparently I don't have Java enabled in my
                >browser so I can't see the map anyway, but if I did... )
                >
                >N.

                it works on a map although slightly strangely, try locating bristol
                and you get all sort of wierd stuff, well i did. like places all over
                the world
                --
                Rob.

                Rob Stone, Psychology, University of York, York, YO10 5DD. 01904 433161
              • Barnes, Dave
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 3, 2001
                  I was interested to see how many clubs meet in the Irish Sea when trying to
                  find mine!

                • Colin E.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 4, 2001
                    Yahoo seems to have trashed my last reply .. let's try again..

                    Dave wriote...
                    > I was interested to see how many clubs meet in the Irish Sea when
                    trying to
                    > find mine!
                    The geographical coordinates were taken from a computer program
                    written in the 1960's, perhaps there has been some plate movement in
                    the past few decades? How steady is the ground under your feet?

                    Nigel wrote...
                    > > >I've got a Mac, I don't have a left and right button....
                    > > >
                    > > >( which is a kinda moot point cos apparently I don't have
                    > > Java enabled in my
                    > > >browser so I can't see the map anyway, but if I did... )
                    OK... so it doesn't work on Macs. Does anyone have a two button mouse
                    emulator they can lend Nigel?

                    Rob Wrote...
                    > > it works on a map although slightly strangely, try locating
                    bristol
                    > > and you get all sort of wierd stuff, well i did. like places all
                    over
                    > > the world
                    OK... so it doesn't work on whatever strange browser you are using
                    either!

                    *sigh* and its not a game either!

                    Colin E.
                  • Chris Emerson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 4, 2001
                      On Wednesday, 4 Jul 2001, Colin E. wrote:

                      > Dave wriote...
                      > > I was interested to see how many clubs meet in the Irish Sea when
                      > > trying to find mine!
                      > The geographical coordinates were taken from a computer program
                      > written in the 1960's, perhaps there has been some plate movement in
                      > the past few decades? How steady is the ground under your feet?

                      Perhaps people with GPS receivers could provide more accurate
                      positions? GPS coordinates could make it that much easier to locate a
                      club in an unfamiliar town/country. :-)

                      Cheers,

                      Chris
                      --
                      Chris Emerson, obsessed Cambridge juggler
                      E-mail: cemerson@...
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 4, 2001
                        Sorry for the test...trying to get this stupid thing to recognise this as
                        a valid email addr.
                        Am I the only one who finds Yahoo accounts and Yahoo_ID's,
                        converted emails etc.. a little confusing?!!!!

                        Fishsoft (freeware & shareware):
                        http://www.fishsoft.co.uk
                      • Colin Eberhardt
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 4, 2001
                          On 4 Jul 01, at 13:59, Chris Emerson wrote:
                          > On Wednesday, 4 Jul 2001, Colin E. wrote:
                          > > Dave wriote...
                          > > > I was interested to see how many clubs meet in the Irish Sea when
                          > > > trying to find mine!
                          > > The geographical coordinates were taken from a computer program
                          > > written in the 1960's, perhaps there has been some plate movement in
                          > > the past few decades? How steady is the ground under your feet?
                          >
                          > Perhaps people with GPS receivers could provide more accurate
                          > positions? GPS coordinates could make it that much easier to locate a
                          > club in an unfamiliar town/country. :-)
                          > Chris

                          I can just imagine someone wanderring for miles across the US
                          armed with a GPS receiver and a printout from the IJDb clubs listing!
                          However, the current problem is that the map data within the IJDb
                          globe applet is slightly inaccurate (especially near Liverpool).
                          Perhaps we could pursued Dave to walk the coastline while
                          transmitting data to the IJDb database.

                          Regards,
                          Colin E.
                          (Who has finally sorted out his Yahoo account)

                          The Internet Juggling Database (IJDb)
                          http://www.jugglingdb.com
                        • Chris Emerson
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 4, 2001
                            On Wednesday, 4 Jul 2001, Colin Eberhardt wrote:

                            > On 4 Jul 01, at 13:59, Chris Emerson wrote:
                            > > Perhaps people with GPS receivers could provide more accurate
                            > > positions? GPS coordinates could make it that much easier to
                            > > locate a club in an unfamiliar town/country. :-)
                            >
                            > I can just imagine someone wanderring for miles across the US armed
                            > with a GPS receiver and a printout from the IJDb clubs listing!

                            Hey, why not? (With suitable definition of "wandering" including some
                            form of transport faster than foot, of course).

                            > However, the current problem is that the map data within the IJDb
                            > globe applet is slightly inaccurate (especially near Liverpool).
                            > Perhaps we could pursued Dave to walk the coastline while
                            > transmitting data to the IJDb database.

                            I'm sure that accurate coastal data must be available on the net
                            somewhere.

                            Cheers,

                            Chris
                            --
                            Chris Emerson, obsessed Cambridge juggler
                            E-mail: cemerson@...
                            Web page: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~cemerson/
                          • Andy Parry
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 4, 2001
                              Domain Name: NOFITSTATECIRCUS.CO.UK

                              Registered For: NoFit State Circus

                              Domain Registered By: WEBCONSULTANCY

                              Registered on 28-Jun-2000.

                              Domain servers listed in order:

                              DNS0.EASILY.CO.UK 213.219.14.243
                              DNS1.EASILY.CO.UK 213.219.14.245

                              WHOIS database last updated at 08:35:01 04-Jul-2001

                              So the URL is okay its the Web server or index.html or default.html
                              that is a bit dodgy at the moment. I've been to the site before.
                              Can't remember what was on it though..
                            • Andy Parry
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 4, 2001
                                --- In uk_jugglers@y..., "Andy Parry" <andy@c...> wrote:

                                > Domain Name: NOFITSTATECIRCUS.CO.UK
                                >
                                > Registered For: NoFit State Circus
                                >
                                > Domain Registered By: WEBCONSULTANCY
                                >
                                > Registered on 28-Jun-2000.

                                This date may be important if they only registered the domain for a
                                year... Elementary my dear watson
                                :-)

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 4, 2001
                                  Someone submitted a link to the no fit state circus web site on the
                                  IJDb:

                                  http://www.nofitstatecircus.co.uk

                                  The link does not work. I am guessing that the person who
                                  submitted it was on the group .. . do you know the correct link?