RE: [uk_jugglers] cambridge

  • Paul Seward
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
      >b) do even better next time.

      of making it. (Travelling from cambridge to Bristol, late on Sunday night
      and still getting up in time to be at work for 8:00 on Monday morning
      was not something I felt I could cope with...)

      Shame really, coZ last year it was a convention I swore I'd come back to
      as I enjoyed it so much...

      -Paul
      The Little Paul who keeps bumping into people he knows from juggling
      by the vending machines at work
    • Sam Vines
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
        It was top!

        I arsed about a lot with 8clubs with Chris, which was just fantastic. Not
        sure how good the juggling was, but I certainly got a good workout ;)

        Met a couple of new bod's at the passing with lots of clubs workshop and had
        my first proper session with popcorn (the pattern not the food).

        The Samba workshop seemed easier than last year, possibly 'cos we were just
        concentrating on one rhythm as opposed to lots of new ones, but we made lots
        of noise and at a couple of points I thought we actually sounded quite good!

        The show was good - haven't got my program to hand of who's who, but there
        was a completely mad contact routine (you'd have to have been there to
        appreciate it - but Little Dave and I were in stiches), a pretty cool Tennis
        Ball and can routine from Grant and the Gandini boys were all definite
        highlights for me.

        I also have to mention Jaims - he was a star all weekend, putting me up,
        taxiing me round and providing me with a source of quality entertainment, we
        even visited the brothel...

        Like I say, it was a top!

        Cheers guys, and maybe I'll do a proper review when the ppl here aren't
        panicking about some stuff that is apparently mega urgent.

        Sam

        http://profiles.msn.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
          We tried - since we have a split site, we have to find a date when both are
          free, and even booking quite early this year we couldn't find a free
          Saturday in October. Well done to those who did manage to get there and
          back!

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
            > Seriously though, the organisers would really appreciate some
            feedback so we
            > can a) bask in the glory and b) do even better next time.

            I found the major problem with having the convention on a Sunday, was
            that I'd been out and got seriously pissed on the Saturday night, and
            hence had a fair old hangover when I showed up on Sunday. I discovered
            however, that this isn't as bad as it could have been, as feeling
            sluggish greatly slowed down my 5 club pattern and it actually seemed
            to work every now and again...for a little bit. Of course, having Ben
            Cornish standing 20 feet away providing an example of how it's
            supposed to be done does help. I'm not sure if it's just that more
            good jugglers made the trip to Cambridge this year, or if there are
            just more people hitting the 5 clubs/7 balls mark, but there were
            definitely a fair few to watch and learn from this year. I was very
            impressed by the standard of juggling in the hall. A few years back I
            thought that 7 balls was amazing. I'm now coming to think it's not
            going to be that long before we have a fair few people hitting 8 and
            9.

            The games were fun, but then, they're games, so they would be. I
            thought having a three ball gladiators for anyone who could do three
            but not four was a good idea, and it was a shame that it didn't prove
            more popular. I think you should have left it as that, and not let the
            four ballers in. If only three people take part, then fair enough, it
            only takes two minutes and I think creates an environment where new
            jugglers will feel more comfortable getting involved.

            Obviously, I thought it was cool having a 'show us your new tricks'
            bit, as I won. Top tip for this event is of course, bring along lots
            of really loud mates who'll cheer really loudly for your trick. Ahhh,
            the things we do for a bag of wine gums and a couple of balloons. It
            did give us something to play with before the show, so definitely a
            good choice of prizes.

            In devilstick gladiators I was taken out by the smallest devilstick
            I've ever seen (about 8 inches) which, although being a serious bash
            to my masculinity provided a little giggle. I'm now on the look out
            for miniature clubs.

            Top moment of the games for me was three club gladiators, and I was
            gutted to be beaten into second after being ganged up on by three
            people at the end. Top marks to Howy, Ben and (apologies) whoever the
            other guy was for making it very entertaining. My suggestion for
            future years, is sod all the other games, and can we just play
            gladiators all the way through. Juggling being as it is, all about
            self development, and nothing to do with being competitive.

            We then popped into KFC where we were subjected to the tuneful
            delights of Boppit while we ate. The Cambridge Boppit Babe showed us
            the extreme extreme version, and amazingly, no one killed her.
            Sometimes I think jugglers are just too nice, and a little mindless
            violence is actually called for.

            The show had some seriously impressive moments. Grant Goldie was
            fantastic with both his devilstick routine, and the tennis can
            thingymawhatsit. Steve Faulkners contact routine was erm, well, just
            different really, but it had me in stitches, and Bibi and Bichu have
            to be congratulated on what was a fantastic up beat club passing
            routine. Oh, and thanks to our compare Eddie K for the tip about tray
            spinning.

            All in all another thoroughly entertaining convention.

            --
            Glyn Hanton
            Loaded Dice Design and Media

            07957 303251
            glyn@...
            http://www.loadeddice.co.uk/
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000

              ?? News to me that there is one!

              Charlie
              Cambridge
            • Sam Vines
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
                It's not obvious, but it's definitely there if you know where to look
                (namely up). It's a white building down one of the streets that crosses the
                river, (its on the right hand side of the street if you walk down the main
                road (where Andy Shorts will be working) towards the station) not a great
                deal of help I know, but I wouldn't know where it was on a street map
                anyway.

                Sam

                http://profiles.msn.com