[uk_jugglers] Convention prices

  • Flying Teapots
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2000
      Hello everyone

      The comittee organising Shefcon 2000 met last night to try to set
      the prices for the convention and the show and we were really
      struggling to come to a conclusion. The event is quite a high
      budget affair. We've spent a lot on the show and the venue is huge
      and has it's own bar and was much more expensive than the hall we
      used last year so it is important that we get the prices right to
      attract enough people to break even. I'd like to ask "how much are
      people willing to pay for a 1 day convention these days ?" Does an
      extra 1 pound on the entrance fee really scare people off ? I don't
      think that I've ever missed a convention because the organisers were
      charging £7 instead of £6 but I know that some people can be
      remarkably reluctant to part with a small extra amount of cash.

      Any opinions ?

      Ben

      p.s Don't forget, Shefcon 2000 - the Sheffield University juggling
      convention is on Sunday 26th March 2000 in the Octagon Centre,
      Sheffield University
    • Rob Stone
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2000
        >Hello everyone
        >
        >The comittee organising Shefcon 2000 met last night to try to set
        >the prices for the convention and the show and we were really
        >struggling to come to a conclusion. The event is quite a high
        >budget affair. We've spent a lot on the show and the venue is huge
        >and has it's own bar and was much more expensive than the hall we
        >used last year so it is important that we get the prices right to
        >attract enough people to break even. I'd like to ask "how much are
        >people willing to pay for a 1 day convention these days ?" Does an
        >extra 1 pound on the entrance fee really scare people off ? I don't
        >think that I've ever missed a convention because the organisers were
        >charging £7 instead of £6 but I know that some people can be
        >remarkably reluctant to part with a small extra amount of cash.
        >
        >Any opinions ?

        7 quid isnt too bad but it'll need to be a good show, depends on what
        you provide.

        a raffle will raise about 100 quid ...

        how many people are you budgeting on turning up,
        how much funds do you already have

        Cambridge was 11 quid, too much iIMHO but then it attracts those rich
        southeners !

        Rob.

        ps Ben hassle Dave P into doing something at chocfest like his Yo thang
        we are gathering a few acts together but need more peoeple to stand up and
        do something silly.
        --

        -- Rob.

        Rob Stone, Psychology, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, UK. tel:433161
        See Anthony Gatto perform at 13th British Juggling Convention.
        13..16 April 2000 YORK, UK http://www.bjc2k.york.ac.uk/
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2000
          We had a few people moaning that the Cambridge convention was more expensive
          than last time (11 UKP this year, 9 UKP two years ago (we missed a year))
          but I don't really think it matters. I reckon that if you put together a
          brilliant event people will be happy to pay anyway. Budget the event and
          work out how much you *need* to charge based on a sensible estimate of how
          many will turn up (we use 60% capacity but always work out what might happen
          at 50 and 40% just in case). If you run it on a non-profit (or 'any small
          profit goes to the club or next year's convention') basis and aim to break
          around even you should be OK.

          In Cambridge it costs about a fiver to go to the cinema on a Saturday,
          around seven quid to see a band in a small venue, two quid for a pint....for
          the whole day, including a show (I'm not mentioning Corby here :-) around a
          tenner is a bargain.

          Mind you we always need to put aside some money to pay for the weather
          magician....

          Cheers

[...]

          Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime? You can today at
          X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it! Sign up today at X.com. It's
          quick, free, & there's no obligation!
          http://click.egroups.com/1/332/2/_/19401/_/947757372/

          -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
          -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=uk_jugglers&m=1
        • Rob Stone
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2000
            >We had a few people moaning that the Cambridge convention was more expensive
            >than last time (11 UKP this year, 9 UKP two years ago (we missed a year))
            >but I don't really think it matters.

            i do, i wont travel 3 hours again and then pay 11 quid for a one day convention
            as i am a tight git.

            > I reckon that if you put together a
            >brilliant event people will be happy to pay anyway. Budget the event and
            >work out how much you *need* to charge based on a sensible estimate of how
            >many will turn up (we use 60% capacity but always work out what might happen
            >at 50 and 40% just in case). If you run it on a non-profit (or 'any small
            >profit goes to the club or next year's convention') basis and aim to break
            >around even you should be OK.

            it is true that in the value for money stakes a convention and show
            are good value and also true that you have to make sure you do not
            lose any dosh (unless you have a big surplus)

            we have charged 5 or 6 pounds for each Chocfest and this next one is
            back down to a fiver (less than 1/2 the price of cambridge but
            without the expesnive venues and show people)

            Chocfest V - the money rasier next sat ie 9 days time the 1st UK2K bash
            www.chocfest.york.ac.uk see you all there :-)
            --

            -- Rob.

            Rob Stone, Psychology, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, UK. tel:433161
            See Anthony Gatto perform at 13th British Juggling Convention.
            13..16 April 2000 YORK, UK http://www.bjc2k.york.ac.uk/
          • Chris Emerson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 13, 2000
              On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Flying Teapots wrote:

              > I'd like to ask "how much are people willing to pay for a 1 day
              > convention these days ?" Does an extra 1 pound on the entrance fee
              > really scare people off ? I don't think that I've ever missed a
              > convention because the organisers were charging £7 instead of £6 but
              > I know that some people can be remarkably reluctant to part with a
              > small extra amount of cash.
              >
              > Any opinions ?

              Well, personally I was surprised at how cheap the first one-day
              convention I went to (Chocfest 3) was when I got there. For me, the
              price of the one-day conventions is about the same as the taxi fare to
              the station in Cambridge, and negligible compared to the price of the
              train ticket (and often the new toys I buy when I'm there).

              So I'm happy paying an extra quid or two for my convention fix, but
              then I do have a job and this addiction to feed. Others may feel
              differently, I suppose.

              Chris
              --
              Chris Emerson, obsessed Cambridge juggler
              E-mail: cemerson@...
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 14, 2000
                Teapots@... writes:

                > The comittee organising Shefcon 2000 met last night to try to set
                > the prices for the convention and the show and we were really
                > struggling to come to a conclusion. The event is quite a high
                > budget affair. We've spent a lot on the show and the venue is huge
                > and has it's own bar and was much more expensive than the hall we
                > used last year so it is important that we get the prices right to
                > attract enough people to break even. I'd like to ask "how much are
                > people willing to pay for a 1 day convention these days ?" Does an
                > extra 1 pound on the entrance fee really scare people off ? I don't
                > think that I've ever missed a convention because the organisers were
                > charging �7 instead of �6 but I know that some people can be
                > remarkably reluctant to part with a small extra amount of cash.
                >
                > Any opinions ?
                >
                > Ben
                �7 is ok by us (just about) We will probably bring a mini bus full as usual,
                if I ain't working!
                Steve (Wyre Forest Community Circus)
              • mini
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 14, 2000
                  ->ps Ben hassle Dave P into doing something at chocfest like his Yo
                  thang
                  ->we are gathering a few acts together but need more peoeple to stand
                  up and
                  ->do something silly.

                  there is a very strong chance i may (along with a partner) show a few
                  Rola Bola tricks. just learnt 180's (as in on a skateboard) and we
                  are working on a bunch of two person one rolabola stuff.
                  not exiting but htne its rarely seen so if you want us for a few
                  minutes you got us.

                  Mini Mansell , Long life, Good sex and Prosperity.

                  http://www.minimansell.com

                  Listings for British clubs http://go.to/bclubs
                  Listings for Worldwide Juggling Clubs http://www.juggler.net/jugglingclubs

                  Buy your juggling equipment online at
                  http://come.to/jesters
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 14, 2000
                    Rob Stone wrote:

                    >we have charged 5 or 6 pounds for each Chocfest and this next one is
                    >back down to a fiver (less than 1/2 the price of cambridge but
                    >without the expesnive venues and show people)

                    'Tis true...the venues are a major part of the budget (around 1/3rd) and the
                    show makes up a large part of the rest. We do try and pay everyone for the
                    show at least something, partly 'cos it seems rude not to, but especially
                    expensive acts are asked to reduce their fees to a reasonable level (these
                    might be people who could happily work somewhere else that night for loads
                    of dosh, so we do save).

                    Personally I've got something against doing circus (professionally, i.e. a
                    proper performance at a convention or wherever) for free, as I think it
                    perpetuates the myth that we're *all* doing it purely for the love of it
                    (for example someone at Circus Space was asked on the Big Breakfast recently
                    and offered no dosh, just "loads of exposure, you'll really enjoy it." -
                    sigh). Some of the gigs I do around here expect jugglers to turn up, do
                    three hours work in the summer heat, all for a cup of warm orange juice -
                    now I know some are charitable-type events, but most can afford at least a
                    token amount (20 quid or so). It's all very well learning the business while
                    performing at events for little or free, but not when one's got a bit more
                    experience.
                    Sorry to rant, personal bugbear of mine.

                    Cheers & good luck with Chocfest (can't make it due to a commitment down
                    here, I'm afraid).
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 14, 2000
                      At 5:07 pm +0000 14/1/00, Charlie Hull wrote:

                      >Personally I've got something against doing circus (professionally, i.e. a
                      >proper performance at a convention or wherever) for free, as I think it
                      >perpetuates the myth that we're *all* doing it purely for the love of it

                      I think a major reason for charging at least a minimal amount is that some
                      people have no problems wasting your time, but won't waste their money,
                      hence if they're paying for a show, they'll make sure you are given the
                      time and space to provide a good one. If they're not paying, you're just
                      some fool, and you can sort yourself out.

                      Of course, another good reason is that you tend to end up with more money
                      that you started with, which is useful, cos you can buy more toys and stuff
                      with it.

                      Having said all that, the less I'm paid, the more I think I've got a
                      license to just muck about and enjoy myself, which isn't so bad.

                      --
                      Descartes thought an animal,
                      That couldn't talk, Glyn Hanton
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 16, 2000
                        At 09:55 AM 1/13/00 +0000, you wrote:
                        >Hello everyone
                        >
                        >The comittee organising Shefcon 2000 met last night to try to set
                        >the prices for the convention and the show and we were really
                        >struggling to come to a conclusion. The event is quite a high
                        >budget affair. We've spent a lot on the show and the venue is huge
                        >and has it's own bar and was much more expensive than the hall we
                        >used last year so it is important that we get the prices right to
                        >attract enough people to break even. I'd like to ask "how much are
                        >people willing to pay for a 1 day convention these days ?" Does an
                        >extra 1 pound on the entrance fee really scare people off ? I don't
                        >think that I've ever missed a convention because the organisers were
                        >charging £7 instead of £6 but I know that some people can be
                        >remarkably reluctant to part with a small extra amount of cash.
                        >
                        >Any opinions ?
                        >
                        >Ben
                        >
                        >p.s Don't forget, Shefcon 2000 - the Sheffield University juggling
                        >convention is on Sunday 26th March 2000 in the Octagon Centre,
                        >Sheffield University

                        >Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?
                        >You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it! Sign
                        >up today at X.com. It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!

                        >-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=uk_jugglers&m=1

                        Hello

                        Personally speaking, I definately would be prepared to spend more for a
                        better convention, but then I've got a job and a pathological obsession for
                        throwing things up and down, and for watching other people throwing things
                        up and down in much better ways than I can.

                        Most of the one day events tend to charge to charge about £5, though I'm
                        not sure how they manage that. I think the Cambridge convention charges
                        about £10 for the one day, but I've heard very good things about their show
                        (though I haven't managed to go to one yet).

                        I'm one of the people organising the Birmingham convention, which we've
                        decided to price at £8 or £6 concessions and in advance. The venue cost
                        quite a bit to book and the show is quite expensive too. I think that the
                        more people realise what goes on behind the scenes (as I've found out) the
                        more they are prepared to pay. You mentioned that you spent a lot on a
                        better venue and on the show, so maybe if you plublicise this people will
                        be more eager to part with their cash. If you make a profit you can put it
                        in the kitty for a better convention next year or at least a less risky
                        one, or you can offer to pay performers a bit extra, most of whom will be
                        performing for cheap rates anyway.

                        So that's my opinion

                        Pan

                        P.S. Is it OK to plug the Birmingham convention here - it's going to very
                        good and everyone is expected to turn up. We're working on getting CHARLIE
                        CHEESE again, whom all of us cheeky lot have grown to love.