Re: [uk_jugglers] A shortage of professional jugglers?

  • j.jester@virgin.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 28 12:32 AM
      Not quite sure what you are saying here kevin

      From: "Kevin Rowe" <circuskevin@...>
      Sender: uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:03:15
      To: <uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [uk_jugglers] A shortage of professional jugglers?

      Is there a shortage of professional jugglers?

      ie those who can entertain rather than just collect surplus money from school budgets, arts grants etc?

      A colleague was telling me half the audience walked out when Sean Gandini came on stage at a Coventry festival!

    • j.jester@virgin.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 28 1:00 AM
        They didn't hire gandini because there was a shortage they hired him because he has built up a name.

        From: "Kevin Rowe" <circuskevin@...>
        Sender: uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:03:15
        To: <uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com>

        Is there a shortage of professional jugglers?

        ie those who can entertain rather than just collect surplus money from school budgets, arts grants etc?

        A colleague was telling me half the audience walked out when Sean Gandini came on stage at a Coventry festival!

      • Panayiotis Panayiotou
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 31 4:40 AM
          no shortage of Philistines then

          On 28 March 2012 09:00, <j.jester@...> wrote:

          > They didn't hire gandini because there was a shortage they hired him
          > because he has built up a name.

          > From: "Kevin Rowe" <circuskevin@...>
          > Sender: uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com
          > Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:03:15
          > To: <uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [uk_jugglers] A shortage of professional jugglers?
          >
          > Is there a shortage of professional jugglers?
          >
          > ie those who can entertain rather than just collect surplus money from
          > school budgets, arts grants etc?
          >
          > A colleague was telling me half the audience walked out when Sean Gandini
          > came on stage at a Coventry festival!
          >
          > Kevin

        • mike_j_armstrong
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2, 2012
            --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rowe" <circuskevin@...> wrote:
            > A colleague was telling me half the audience walked out when Sean
            > Gandini came on stage at a Coventry festival!

            As far as I know the only festival ever to be held in Coventry was the BJC in 1992. Both Sean/The Gandini's work and the views of the juggling convention crowd have changed a lot in the last 21 years. It sounds like your colleague needs to get some more up-to-date anecdotes!
            Cheers
            -Mike
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2, 2012
              On 02/04/2012 11:14, mike_j_armstrong wrote:
              > --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rowe"<circuskevin@...> wrote:
              >> A colleague was telling me half the audience walked out when Sean
              >> Gandini came on stage at a Coventry festival!
              >
              > As far as I know the only festival ever to be held in Coventry was the BJC in 1992. Both Sean/The Gandini's work and the views of the juggling convention crowd have changed a lot in the last 21 years. It sounds like your colleague needs to get some more up-to-date anecdotes!
              > Cheers
              > -Mike

              If you're doing art, and nobody dislikes it, you're doing it wrong.

            • j.jester@virgin.net
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 2, 2012
                I must be doing it very right then. Heh heh!

                From: Charlie Hull <charlie@...>
                Sender: uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 11:24:50
                To: <uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: Re: [uk_jugglers] Re: A shortage of professional jugglers?

                On 02/04/2012 11:14, mike_j_armstrong wrote:
                > --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rowe"<circuskevin@...> wrote:
                >> A colleague was telling me half the audience walked out when Sean
                >> Gandini came on stage at a Coventry festival!
                >
                > As far as I know the only festival ever to be held in Coventry was the BJC in 1992. Both Sean/The Gandini's work and the views of the juggling convention crowd have changed a lot in the last 21 years. It sounds like your colleague needs to get some more up-to-date anecdotes!
                > Cheers
                > -Mike

                If you're doing art, and nobody dislikes it, you're doing it wrong.

              • Danny Colyer
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 2, 2012
                  On 02/04/2012 11:14, mike_j_armstrong wrote:
                  > --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rowe"<circuskevin@...> wrote:
                  >> A colleague was telling me half the audience walked out when Sean
                  >> Gandini came on stage at a Coventry festival!
                  >
                  > As far as I know the only festival ever to be held in Coventry was the BJC in 1992. Both Sean/The Gandini's work and the views of the juggling convention crowd have changed a lot in the last 21 years. It sounds like your colleague needs to get some more up-to-date anecdotes!

                  I'm sure Coventry must have had at least one music festival, or arts
                  festival, or something, over the last 20 years. It can't be only
                  juggling festivals that book juggling acts.

                  --
                  Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
                  "I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 11, 2012
                    Hi all,

                    My colleague actually organized the 1992 BJC so it wasn't then. I didn't know him then. I saw him busking at Stratford upon Avon a few years ago. Does a wonderful show. Since then we've occasionally been doing shows for schools. I do a show for the Infants and he does one for the Juniors. Works very nicely.

                    "Philistines" ... Quite correct Pan!

                    Gandini is great for the juggling community with his innovative work.

                    The general public still needs entertaining with shows they can understand.

                    With the abundance of money the past 20 years, have jugglers, quite naturally, been pursuing that rather than develop their work for public consumption?

                    Just a thought.