Yo-yo for circus workshops?

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
      Anybody use the yo-yo in circus workshops?

      Seems a handy toy. A lot of people will have played with one at some time so will at least know it goes up + down.

      I've bought one to play with + see if I can learn anything. Easy conversation starter with 'can you walk the dog' with the local's.

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
        Oh ...

        So there is a downside.

        On 1 Sep 2011, at 08:53, Kevin Rowe wrote:

        > Anybody use the yo-yo in circus workshops?

        No.

        Sounds to me like a perfect way to spend all your evenings untying horrendous knots.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
          On 1 Sep 2011, at 08:53, Kevin Rowe wrote:

          > Anybody use the yo-yo in circus workshops?

          No.

          Sounds to me like a perfect way to spend all your evenings untying horrendous knots.

          N.
        • davejellybean
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
            Totally agree with N. I had yo yos in the workshop.Only twice as they ALL end up knotted together....more trouble than they are worth.....

            --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, Nigel <n.schaay@...> wrote:

            > On 1 Sep 2011, at 08:53, Kevin Rowe wrote:
            >
            > > Anybody use the yo-yo in circus workshops?
            >
            > No.
            >
            > Sounds to me like a perfect way to spend all your evenings untying horrendous knots.
            >
            > N.

          • Arron Sparks
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
              > Anybody use the yo-yo in circus workshops?

              Well sometimes I use circus in Yo-Yo workshops, does that count?

              If you teach YoYo in the right way, go through things slowly and correctly it's easy to teach and avoid having to untangle 100s of YoYo strings.

              > I've bought one to play with + see if I can learn anything.
              Seems like a chance for me to plug http://www.insideloop.co.uk/index.php/learn-yoyo/

              Happy spinning!

              Arron

              Arron Sparks
              www.arronsparks.com

              ________________________

              On 2011-09-01 14:26:33 +0000 Kevin Rowe <circuskevin@...> wrote:

              > Anybody use the yo-yo in circus workshops?
              >
              > Seems a handy toy. A lot of people will have played with one at some time so
              > will at least know it goes up + down.
              >
              > I've bought one to play with + see if I can learn anything. Easy conversation
              > starter with 'can you walk the dog' with the local's.
              >
              > Kevin

            • glyn hanton
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
                On 01/09/2011 15:32, Arron Sparks wrote:
                > If you teach YoYo in the right way, go through things slowly and correctly it's easy to teach and avoid having to untangle 100s of YoYo strings.

                There speaks a man who's never run a drop in workshop .....

                Alight Fingers Juggling
                www.alightfingers.com
              • jonathan the jester
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
                  I think yoyos are great and strings are cheap. It isn't as bad as you would think untangling strings, but it is worse at a drop in workshop.

                  I like it but don't give yoyos to under 8s.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
                    Mmmm ...

                    It seems Dave and Arron are poles apart on this one.

                    Third time lucky for Dave?

                    Anyway I've ordered the dvd to help me along.

                    On 2011-09-01 14:26:33 +0000 Kevin Rowe <circuskevin@...> wrote:

                    > Anybody use the yo-yo in circus workshops?
                    >
                    > Seems a handy toy. A lot of people will have played with one at some time so
                    > will at least know it goes up + down.
                    >
                    > I've bought one to play with + see if I can learn anything. Easy conversation
                    > starter with 'can you walk the dog' with the local's.
                    >
                    > Kevin

                  • davejellybean
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 2, 2011
                      If you use yoyo,s in a group say with 15-20 people in it can work if that is all you do with them.I had yo yos in my general workshops with hundreds of people.Hence the tangles and them being swung round heads as weopons.Give it a go Kev but keep them apart from your other kit.....simple advice but necessary!!

                    • j.jester@virgin.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 2, 2011
                        That's good advice dave

                        From: "davejellybean" <davejellybean@...>
                        Sender: uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 07:42:52
                        To: <uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com>
                        Subject: [uk_jugglers] Re: Yo-yo for circus workshops?

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 5, 2011
                          My idea is to just have up to 4 yo-yo's in a session. They would be used in the free play rather than the formal part of sessions.

                          Say in summer fetes, I'd have one to play with, one on the table with the spinning plates and two more in my pocket. If the one on the table was in demand then I could add as necessary.

                          Just got my yo-yo with a double knot round the middle. Is a knife the best way to cut through it before replacing the string? It's not one of these take apart yo-yo's.

                          If you use yoyo,s in a group say with 15-20 people in it can work if that is all you do with them.I had yo yos in my general workshops with hundreds of people.Hence the tangles and them being swung round heads as weopons.Give it a go Kev but keep them apart from your other kit.....simple advice but necessary!!

                          --- In uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rowe" <circuskevin@...> wrote:

                          > Mmmm ...
                          >
                          > It seems Dave and Arron are poles apart on this one.
                          >
                          > Third time lucky for Dave?
                          >
                          > Anyway I've ordered the dvd to help me along.
                          >
                          > Kevin

                        • arron sparks
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 5, 2011
                            Hi Kevin,
                            You're going to have difficulty using a Yo-Yo you can't take apart. Use a toothpick to pry out the knot rather than trying to cut the string while it's still attached to the Yo-Yo.
                            Good luck!
                            Arron

                            Arron Sparks
                            Tel: +44 (0)75 95 38 00 93

                            Mail: arron@...
                            Web: www.arronsparks.com

                            To: uk_jugglers@yahoogroups.com
                            From: circuskevin@...
                            Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 10:47:58 +0100
                            Subject: Re: [uk_jugglers] Re: Yo-yo for circus workshops?

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 9, 2011
                              No luck with a tooth pick. Just got the string out with a knife and replaced
                              it with a spare as per dvd.

                              What sort of yo-yo's do people use? Are the ones from juggling dealers as
                              good as any?