Top rated UK player

  • Mr Phil Appleby
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2004
      Congratulations to Adam Logan on becoming the first non-Englishman to
      attain the honour of being the top-rated UK player at the end of the
      Scrabble year.

      As last year's top-rated player I have the trophy beside me, and it's
      interesting to see how few names are on it. In the 17 years in which
      the trophy has been awarded, only 10 names appear, with several
      multiple winners and three years when the trophy has been "shared".
      Adam's will be the 11th name on the trophy.

      No-one has been the top-rated player four times. Previous three-time
      winners (in chronological order):

      Phil Appleby 1988, 1997 and 2003
      Mark Nyman 1988, 1999 and 2002
      Clive Spate 1991, 1994 and 1995

      Two-time winners:

      Allan Simmons 1987 and 1989
      Andrew Fisher 1993 and 1998
      Brett Smitheram 1999 and 2000
      David Webb 2000 and 2001

      And those who've won the trophy once:

      Pete Finley 1990
      Russell Byers 1992
      Allan Saldanha 1996

      Who is the best player never to have won this trophy? Perhaps Gareth
      Williams, who seems to have been near the top of the ratings as long as
      I can remember? Or Philip Nelkon, four times National Champion? Or Andy
      Davis, multiple Masters winner? Or over the past few years Paul Allan,
      supreme in Scotland, and who just missed out to Mark as top-rated
      player in the year in which he won the BEST event. Any others?

      Mr Phil

    • deljos
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 26, 2004
        Helen Gipson and Andrew Perry to name a couple.

        JOjo Delia

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 26, 2004
          In a message dated 26/12/2004 10:45:39 GMT Standard Time, deljos@...
          writes:

          > Helen Gipson and Andrew Perry to name a couple.
          >
          > JOjo Delia

          I didn't know they were together;-)
          Allan

          Allan Simmons
          Publisher of 2005 Challenge-A-Day SCRABBLE calendar
          and ONWORDS Scrabble magazine
          See www.Onwords.biz
          For free copy of magazine email your postal address to
          ONWORDSmagazine@...