Accessing the BPS forum

  • Christopher Roy Fraser-Jenkins
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
      Thanks John and Anthony for the addresses for the new forum. I expect I should be able to get into it before too long - though no success as yet.
      Actually it's a bit of a task starting off - high-class disclaimer/user-agreements; high security CIA-style keys and a load of rather pretentious stuff of that ilk or about incomprehensible IT things, just to talk about ferns, not to access N. American Government State Secrets! - I had hoped and requested it would all be ultimately simple and free of such stuff. Such would not go down well in this part of the world, though I realise that IT-orientated people probably like all that kind of meaningless unnecessaria over in the UK as it helps them feel nice and technical, or modern, or something.
      I also found I could not use proper English - the site obliges me to use that degraded erroneous variant they have the cheek to call "English (US)", which I think should be called "N. American". In particular for a BRITISH Society (it's in the name, don't you know?) website I must demand that there should be English there not N. American - what were the designers thinking of? Please do something to correct this slap in the face to my erstwhile Country and to the fine language we use - I hope the site will not automatically attempt to alter and thereby damage the English spelling in any messages I might post?
      Anyway, as it should be a one-off, I signed in to find I had to register (no problem, though I would probably have preferred to know that first), got through various rather edgey "agree" bits, and registered, being told I'd have a key, but no key arrived as yet. So I can't open it yet - will try again later after the complete big-brother security clearance comes though (hopefully not too long in the future and hopefully not with a load of associated Nigerian Spam worming its way into my e-mail account or something).
      Then I see various people's names in different tables so I think I have to go to their names and read, then to another name and read etc.? I do seriously hope we can just access messages in the order they arrive on the site and just read them all like that, otherwise it will be quite difficult, turning from one author to another and not seeing the whole story as it unfolds - I think if that were the case I'd probably not find it useable and wouldn't continue, as it would be a typical confused IT-style piece of non-human dislogic to organise it like that! But when my er-"key" comes through, I hope I will find it allows you to read the messages in order - let's see. Then I'll see whether one can post photos easily.
      As I said before the crucial thing is to keep it all very simple in normal English linguistic logic style.
      Anyway, looking forward to seeing it working if my key gets through!
      Chris Fraser-Jenkins, Kathmandu.
    • Athyriaceae
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
        Here are some forum from Taiwan, of course we use the traditional Chinese characters.
        Anyway, you can find the fern pictures there, enjoy !!

        http://89sky.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=26
        http://192.192.42.4/~tbgweb/cgi-bin/forums.cgi?forum=22
        http://forums.plant-seeds.idv.tw/forumdisplay.php?f=98

        We are lucky, in such a small island we have large web space.
        I think it is fine if you left your English comments or questions there.
        Many graduate students or young professors also visit these websites, I think they are also friendly.

        Cheers

        Yeachen Liu
      • Anthony Pigott
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
        • 1 Attachment
        • 5 KB
        Christopher (and anyone else having trouble)

        Oh dear, you do seem to have been rather upset by the system!

        Let me try to help / explain. I'll intersperse my comments below as that's
        easier...

        Best wishes

        Anthony

        The terms and conditions are standard ones to protect the BPS and the
        publishers of the software - in our increasingly litigious world we have to
        protect ourselves against people offended by unpleasant postings suing the
        'publishers'. Irritating, I agree, but necessary.

        The 'confirmation codes' are to stop spam (ro)bots and other anti-social
        software logging on and then filling the forum with items offering to make
        us rich overnight, enhance parts of our anatomy, etc. The idea is that
        humans can (mostly) read the distorted characters by the software can't.
        Again, irritating but necessary.

        > - I had hoped and
        > requested it would all be ultimately simple and free of such
        > stuff. Such would not go down well in this part of the world,
        > though I realise that IT-orientated people probably like all that
        > kind of meaningless unnecessaria over in the UK as it helps them
        > feel nice and technical, or modern, or something.

        Who can you mean?

        > I also found I could not use proper English - the site
        > obliges me to use that degraded erroneous variant they have the
        > cheek to call "English (US)", which I think should be called "N.
        > American". In particular for a BRITISH Society (it's in the
        > name, don't you know?) website I must demand that there should be
        > English there not N. American - what were the designers thinking
        > of? Please do something to correct this slap in the face to my
        > erstwhile Country and to the fine language we use - I hope the
        > site will not automatically attempt to alter and thereby damage
        > the English spelling in any messages I might post?

        You can, in fact, choose 'British English' from the drop-down list. I expect
        most of will choose that (though it only affects the messages the forum
        shows us, I think), although I don't know about you but I find 'British
        English' somewhat iffy these days. By the way, do Canadians speak 'US
        English'? Probably not, though Mexicans might do.

        > Anyway, as it should be a one-off, I signed in to find I had
        > to register (no problem, though I would probably have preferred
        > to know that first),

        I agree, It would be better if the software made that clearer. You can, of
        course, view the forum without registering/ logging on - that's just to
        enable you to post.

        > got through various rather edgey "agree"
        > bits, and registered, being told I'd have a key, but no key
        > arrived as yet. So I can't open it yet - will try again later
        > after the complete big-brother security clearance comes though
        > (hopefully not too long in the future and hopefully not with a
        > load of associated Nigerian Spam worming its way into my e-mail
        > account or something).

        It's just to check that you're a real person with a real email address -
        anti-spamming defence again. The software sends the confirmation message
        immediately - there may of course be network delays.

        > Then I see various people's names in different tables so I
        > think I have to go to their names and read, then to another name
        > and read etc.? I do seriously hope we can just access messages
        > in the order they arrive on the site and just read them all like
        > that, otherwise it will be quite difficult, turning from one
        > author to another and not seeing the whole story as it unfolds -

        One of the advantages of a forum is that you can view the posts in many
        different way, for example by topic, by category, by posting date, by most
        recent post, by author, etc.

        > I think if that were the case I'd probably not find it useable
        > and wouldn't continue, as it would be a typical confused IT-style
        > piece of non-human dislogic to organise it like that! But when
        > my er-"key" comes through, I hope I will find it allows you to
        > read the messages in order - let's see. Then I'll see whether
        > one can post photos easily.
        > As I said before the crucial thing is to keep it all very
        > simple in normal English linguistic logic style.
        > Anyway, looking forward to seeing it working if my key gets through!

        My advice, is to access the forum and then explore and play. I could go
        through a lot of detailed instructions, but most people (even technophobes
        ;-) ) find that with a bit of use they quickly get the hang of it and become
        familiar with all the facilities (and then rarely want to go back to other
        systems).

      • steve.woodward@ntlworld.com
        Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
          Cheers Yeachen Liu

          I'll visit and have a look around

          Steve W

          Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
            Dear Anthony,
            Thanks for taking the trouble to explain all those things, though I was interested to see the English sell-out or cop-out reservations you mention. Unfortunately nearly all modern "English" nowadays is being totally wrecked beyond repair by the universal "Chatting" addiction epidemic so the argument will soon be entirely historical-academic anyway. But I certainly do NOT find English (I cannot say English English! - tautology, mate!) in any way "iffy", though that coming in from a number of individuals I know can be, I agree! I didn't find English because I naturally turned to English to find only the US "version" (definitely including Canadian, but not hispanic depradations) - but you'd have to go to another letter, B, to find actual English, employing an Americanism in the use of the word "British" [I'm Welsh, by the way] in such a context, whereas I'd have expected to find "English (UK)" in the same place! But that's IT-style humanism in the system for you!
            I'm really relieved to hear that we will be able to see messages in chronological order! But unfortunately, despite registering, giving my e-mail address etc., my humble application apparently being accepted by the website, I have still received no "key" for activation, so I'm still unable to use the Forum - surprise, surprise; aren't our wonderful computech websites nice and user-friendly?! Do I have to do it all over again, and would I get into the crown Jewels the next time, if I did? Or should I just give up in the face of system-design failure and stick to our nice, easy website without the need for any of the things you say are essential (feeding into the psychosis!), that more easily accepts us humans to write what we like within the bounds of decency [including our moderator already being able to remove offensive messages or contributors regardless of "agreements" etc.] and without all the obstructions?
            How did it happen that my "key" did not arrive? Or do you by any chance have some system for detection and elimination of technophobia built into it??!!
            Oh well, I'll try again soon - and genuinely I do look forward to be able to read and use it, especially now you say messages can be read chronologically (options like those you mention also being available in the present website, of course!). I also hope uploading photos will be nice and easy.
            I'll get there some day!
            Cheers,
            Chris.
          • Christopher Roy Fraser-Jenkins
            Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2009
              Dear Anthony,
              I'm going to need you to do something to get me through the BPS forum website failure maze!
              Still not having received in my e-mail my electronic "key" to activate my account, after 4 days, I tried to register again. This time I got a message to say my user-name, chrisopteris, was already taken (true, but apparently taken into IT limbo-space, unfortunately), and that my password was too short - totally mistaken as it has 10 letters so is well within the instructed limit of 6 letters.
              So can you give an electronic kick to the system and get it to cough up my "key" and, hopefully accept my original registration, and that 10 letters is actually more than 6, as far as human beings are concerned?
              I don't want to use a different user-name and start again under an alias just due to the site's problems.
              Thanks,
              Chris.
            • Anthony Pigott
              Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2009
                Christopher

                I'm not at all sure what's been happening to your registration attempt.
                Rather than try to diagnose, I've dug into my 'administrator's toolbox' to
                try to sort it out 'manually'.

                Your account is now up and running. I've just logged on as you to test it
                and everything seems fine. I'll email you directly off the list with details
                of reset password, etc.

                Fortunately most people seem to have registered without mishap but if anyone
                else runs into serious trouble, please let me know and I'll see what I can
                do to sort it out.

                Regards

                Anthony

                Message 8 of 14 , Jul 5, 2009
                  Dear Anthony,
                  Thanks so much - sounds like I don't have to have a key now, either. I'll try getting in in a minute. It would happen to me, wouldn't it? One wonders how much computers can deduce who's on or not on their side?!
                  Cheers,
                  Chris.
                • Christopher Roy Fraser-Jenkins
                  Message 9 of 14 , Jul 6, 2009
                    Delighted I got into the forum - now if I can find how to remove the organisation of messages into unwanted subcategories, I should be able to read all the mails chronologically just like this present website, with luck!
                    Chris.
                  • Anthony Pigott
                    Message 10 of 14 , Jul 7, 2009
                      Christopher

                      I'd replied to your query on the forum. Essentially, you just need to click
                      on the 'View active topics' link on the first (Board Index) page.

                      Regards

                      Anthony

                      Message 11 of 14 , Jul 7, 2009
                        Dear Anthony,
                        Thanks - I wouldn't have had any idea what an obscure jargonic phrase, like "view active topics" could have meant! I'll try it.
                        Cheers,
                        Chris.