Dryopteris spore moth!

  • Anthony Pigott
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 6 5:32 AM
      Dear all

      I seem to have an outbreak of the Dryopteris spore/indusium eating moth
      larvae. Not a good thing here. I've occasionally had it on a small scale
      before but this seems a particularly bad and sudden attack.

      I'm in the process of washing off as many of the larvae as I can with their
      protecting piles of spore/indusium debris with a water spray which I'll
      follow with a contact insecticide. As they seem to go for ripe spores and
      indusia, I suppose systemics won't be much use.

      I just had a good scan on the internet but found virtually nothing. Does
      anyone have any experience or knowledge of this little horror?

      Regards

      Anthony

    • Steve Woodward
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 6 11:04 AM
        Not much info about at all, is this the one?
        http://www.ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=200

        The grubs here
        http://www.ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=1907

        Steve Woodward

        --- In uk-ferns@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Pigott"

      • steve.woodward@ntlworld.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6 12:02 PM
          It's relative, this one looks more like it Anthony

          http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=1724

          <Anthony.Pigott@...> wrote:

          > Dear all
          >
          > I seem to have an outbreak of the Dryopteris spore/indusium eating
          moth
          > larvae. Not a good thing here. I've occasionally had it on a small
          scale
          > before but this seems a particularly bad and sudden attack.
          >
          > I'm in the process of washing off as many of the larvae as I can
          with their
          > protecting piles of spore/indusium debris with a water spray which
          I'll
          > follow with a contact insecticide. As they seem to go for ripe
          spores and
          > indusia, I suppose systemics won't be much use.
          >
          > I just had a good scan on the internet but found virtually nothing.
          Does
          > anyone have any experience or knowledge of this little horror?
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Anthony

          http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE
        • MATT BUSBY
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6 12:12 PM
            This pest, or something like it, is ofdten prevelent on my Polystichums.  It is something that needs further investigation.

            Matt B

            Anthony Pigott <Anthony.Pigott@...> wrote:
            Dear all

            I seem to have an outbreak of the Dryopteris spore/indusium eating moth
            larvae. Not a good thing here. I've occasionally had it on a small scale
            before but this seems a particularly bad and sudden attack.

            I'm in the process of washing off as many of the larvae as I can with their
            protecting piles of spore/indusium debris with a water spray which I'll
            follow with a contact insecticide. As they seem to go for ripe spores and
            indusia, I suppose systemics won't be much use.

            I just had a good scan on the internet but found virtually nothing. Does
            anyone have any experience or knowledge of this little horror?

            Regards

            Anthony

          • Anthony Pigott
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6 2:03 PM
              Steve

              Thanks. That looks like the little horrors! I'll scan some tomorrow to make
              sure. I don't recall ever seeing the adults.

              Regards

              Anthony

            • Anthony Pigott
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 6 2:04 PM
                Matt

                Yes, it's on some of my Polystichums too. The adults must have got around very quickly or there are lots of them as they seem to have large numbers of plants over quite a large area. They certainly need further investigation, especially into how to KILL them! I'll let you all know how I get on.

                Regards

                Anthony
                This pest, or something like it, is ofdten prevelent on my Polystichums.  It is something that needs further investigation.

                Matt B

                Anthony Pigott <Anthony.Pigott@...> wrote:
                Dear all

                I seem to have an outbreak of the Dryopteris spore/indusium eating moth
                larvae. Not a good thing here. I've occasionally had it on a small scale
                before but this seems a particularly bad and sudden attack.

                I'm in the process of washing off as many of the larvae as I can with their
                protecting piles of spore/indusium debris with a water spray which I'll
                follow with a contact insecticide. As they seem to go for ripe spores and
                indusia, I suppose systemics won't be much use.

                I just had a good scan on the internet but found virtually nothing. Does
                anyone have any experience or knowledge of this little horror?

                Regards

                Anthony

              • Anthony Pigott
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 6 2:04 PM
                  Steve

                  More likely the first one, from the look of the larvae.

                  Regards

                  Anthony

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 6 3:16 PM
                    I got the information from a UK Moths group here on Yahoo Anthony, and
                    seeing as moths to them are like ferns to us I didn't really like to ask
                    which is the best way to kill them :-) but I would guess a systemic
                    insecticide like Provado ultimate bug killer which is the only thing to
                    kill vine weevils and Lily beetles really

                    Thanks. That looks like the little horrors! I'll scan some tomorrow to make
                    sure. I don't recall ever seeing the adults.

                    Regards

                    Anthony

                  • Anthony Pigott
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 7 1:03 AM
                      Thanks, Steve. I don't want to just kill them: I want to <dalek> Exterminate
                      </dalek> them! ;-)

                      Best wishes

                      Anthony