Affinis pictures

  • Kenneth Trewren
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
      Dear Steve,

      I hope you don't mind, but I'm sending you a copy of my affinis CD, in
      the hope that you will be able to download the pages of kerryensis,
      convexa and insolens to join the other pictures in files. Do you have
      broadband? I don't, and that may be the root of the problem.
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
        No problem Ken

        That probably is the reason it times out before downloading

        Steve

        > I hope you don't mind, but I'm sending you a copy of my affinis CD, in
        > the hope that you will be able to download the pages of kerryensis,
        > convexa and insolens to join the other pictures in files. Do you have
        > broadband? I don't, and that may be the root of the problem.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Steve Woodward
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2007
          Hi ken,

          Got the CD thanks and have put the pics of kerryensis and convexa in
          with your other files, it is sods law that the one you wanted anthony
          to have a look at (insolens) is the one causing problems, all are
          massive files and Yahoo needs them to be below 5MB to upload, I managed
          to shrink the first 2 without loss of quality but insolens was a bit
          bigger and with all the shrinking done it still comes out at 5.1
          MB....the only thing I can suggest is spreading the insolens info over
          2 pages which I can then upload seperately, I can do this if this is ok
          with you?

          --- In uk-ferns@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth Trewren" <ken-trewren@...>
          wrote:

          > Dear Steve,
          >
          > I hope you don't mind, but I'm sending you a copy of my affinis CD,
          in
          > the hope that you will be able to download the pages of kerryensis,
          > convexa and insolens to join the other pictures in files. Do you have
          > broadband? I don't, and that may be the root of the problem.

        • Christopher Roy Fraser-Jenkins
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2007
            Hello Ken and Anthony and Steve,
            How about if Anthony would like to put a picture of his
            "Insolens" on the site with small enough kilobumps to fit in? It
            would be really nice if it could be "the one" - the specimen that
            would be designated holotype when/if it came to formalising the name.
            At this stage it would be really useful to be able to look at
            the "type" and know that is the absolutely Insolens, that we can take
            as the bees knees for that name. Incidentally a good, mature Convexa
            to be designated "type" would be an idea too. So far I only could see
            rather immature smallish, less developed plants and not terribly
            characteristic ones - and while most were a bit like a weak subsp.
            paleaceolobata, one might have been D. cambrensis, I think.
            If we could get these pictures I might be able to get a better
            idea personally as to what I thought they were (just for my own
            convenience, at least) - as it has always been slightly shrouded in
            mystery for me at present.
            How about it?
            Cheers,
            Chris.
            (off to the Philippines Asian fern conference tomorrow).

            --- In uk-ferns@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Woodward" <steve.woodward@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi ken,
            >
            > Got the CD thanks and have put the pics of kerryensis and convexa in
            > with your other files, it is sods law that the one you wanted anthony
            > to have a look at (insolens) is the one causing problems, all are
            > massive files and Yahoo needs them to be below 5MB to upload, I managed
            > to shrink the first 2 without loss of quality but insolens was a bit
            > bigger and with all the shrinking done it still comes out at 5.1
            > MB....the only thing I can suggest is spreading the insolens info over
            > 2 pages which I can then upload seperately, I can do this if this is ok
            > with you?
            >

            > --- In uk-ferns@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth Trewren" <ken-trewren@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Steve,
            > >
            > > I hope you don't mind, but I'm sending you a copy of my affinis CD,
            > in
            > > the hope that you will be able to download the pages of kerryensis,
            > > convexa and insolens to join the other pictures in files. Do you have
            > > broadband? I don't, and that may be the root of the problem.

          • Howard Matthews
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2007
              Steve, you probably have more knowledge about computing and the net
              in your little finger than I have in my head, but will Shrink Pic do
              the job?
              It's a marvellous bit of free software I recently found. It runs
              quietly in the backround all the while, only uses a little memory,
              and automatically resizes any picture that you send by email. It is
              extremely fast - no clicking on buttons to start it, and then waiting
              ages for it to do the job - and, most importantly, it doesn't alter
              the size of the original, unlike some programs I've used in the past.
              It can be downloaded free from the originators' website at
              http://www.onthegosoft.com/
              or you can get it from www.download.com or www.snapfiles.com
              (I have no shares or vested interest in Shrink Pic, I just think it
              is brilliant!)

              <steve.woodward@...> wrote:

              > Hi ken,
              >
              > Got the CD thanks and have put the pics of kerryensis and convexa
              in
              > with your other files, it is sods law that the one you wanted
              anthony
              > to have a look at (insolens) is the one causing problems, all are
              > massive files and Yahoo needs them to be below 5MB to upload, I
              managed
              > to shrink the first 2 without loss of quality but insolens was a
              bit
              > bigger and with all the shrinking done it still comes out at 5.1
              > MB....the only thing I can suggest is spreading the insolens info
              over
              > 2 pages which I can then upload seperately, I can do this if this
              is ok
              > with you?
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 9, 2007
                Hi Howard

                That's a good one to know for the gardening forums I paticipate in, but not
                for a word doc I'm afraid, the pics are embedded into the word doc and are
                not Jpegs or such, I did try shrinking them a little and putting them back
                but it didn't alter the doc size and they need to remain full size anyway I
                think as the important parts are magnified in detail

                But I can make use of Shrinkpic thanks Howard