Pteris tricolor revisited

  • Christopher Roy Fraser-Jenkins
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2007
      I wonder if anyone has ever managed to get hold of the wonderful
      Pteris tricolor, native of Manipur (25 years civil war puts the area a
      bit off my list), S.W. China and Myanmar? The late Trevor Walker
      thought it was no longer cultivated, but it is still in some US
      nurseries (Henry's Plant Farm etc.).
      I'd love to get hold of it if I could, as it is a red, white and
      green species with spectacular deep red youngish fronds. I've now got
      a very odd Colysis from Chittagong Hills, Bangladesh, with a bright
      red young frond - but the Pteris must be one of the finest ferns of
      all time.
      Sorry I couldn't write much on the site recently - as I'm writing
      a big revision of many Indian ferns. But glad to say my ferns in
      pots and bowls in Kathmandu are doing well, including the new S.
      Indian ones I got, despite their being in plastic bags for over a
      month in temperatures of 44 degrees C on the way back!
      Monsoon soon about to break here - had some preliminary storms
      already - but not enough space here for all the new fronds that will
      be coming up. I so need a garden!
      Cheers,
      Chris F.-J.
    • Athyriaceae
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2007
        Dear Fraser-Jenkins

        My friend collected it from GuangXi, China and transplanted it in
        Taipei, Taiwan. Last time I saw it the color range change, the white
        part more and more narrow and not obviously.
        If anyone want to check the plant look like, see here
        http://192.192.42.4/~tbgweb/cgi-bin/topic.cgi?forum=22&topic=415
        This is a website from Taiwan and we discuss fern and other
        plants in Chinese language.

        --- In uk-ferns@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Roy Fraser-Jenkins"

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2007
          Wow! that's really interesting new infomation, Kwangsi - eh? I'm
          interested to hear about the dimminished white line, too. Did you
          find any green plants also?
          Chris Fraser-Jenkins.